100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how bout them twins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: f

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:18 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
SuptownSpartans34 wrote:No, and that's true, but he is the spark-plug for that team.

White Sox since August 13 with Pods out: 2-7

In the 10 games before Pods went out they were 5-5. Thanks of course to the spark plug Pods who in the 5 wins went 3 for 19 with 1 walk, 2 CS, and 2 runs scored.

The Sox have struggled since he left for the same reason they won while he was in the lineup, their pitching. It completely fell apart during the losing streak.

pods was hurt before he went to the DL. i believe he was caught stealing 13 of his last 19 stb attempts. and our pitching is the very last thing we have to worry about.

Exactly, I was lookin at the stats just never got around to posting about Pods again. He was injured quite a while before, I remember reading some where. With an injured groin, Pods isn't going to be at the top of his game.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:22 pm

Not having at least Baker up, if the Twins don't want to rush Liriano, is amazingly frustrating. I'm finding it very hard to be a Twins fan, having nothing to do with their record but espoused organizational philosophies.

Gardenvariety is in the paper talking about how he has too much respect for Joe to take him out of the rotation. Nevermind he has a 7.48 ERA since the all-star break. And Baker more than held his own in two starts already.

The Twins have shown time and time again this season that respect and deference for veteran players (or players Gardenvariety likes) takes precedence over putting the best possible team on the field. Mulholland blowing tie extra inning games (see Choi, Hee Sop), Stewart playing the outfield while Ford DHs when both are in the line-up.

Then Gardenvariety said about two weeks back that:
1. The Twins miss Guzman and Koskie.
2. The offense had been struggling due to a lack of speed.

First, Cuddyer's OPS is higher than Koskie's and Cuddyer has played more games. Second, Guzman is battling the Mendoza Line. Third, the Twins are in desperate need of people that get on base and hit for power, you know, the basic components of offense...

Gardenvariety didn't like Barlett winning the job over Jaun Castro either, and had him railroaded to the minors after just six weeks, so Castro could rival Guzman for offensive ineptitude.

I hope the Twins can pull the wildcard or division out at the last minute, but if they fail to reach the postseason, they deserve it.

And have you seen who Gardenvariety has hit second all year? First off, there is no rule that says a middle infielder must hit second. Second, the Twins don't have any good middle infielders. And third, don't you want your best hitters at the top of the line-up? Guys that actually reach base? Under no circumstances should Jaun Castro ever hit second, but it has happened more than once this season.

And what about not platooning Jones versus righties and LeCroy against lefties. Anyone seen the splits?

The Twins have made their bed and now they are going to sleep in it until next spring.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:33 pm

baseballnewb wrote:Nope, its just the simple truth. If the Twins were in the NL east, NL central or AL East they would be a 4th place team or worse. The white sox have been good this year(because of their pitching, not because of the below average output of pods) and the rest of the division has been weak and in general has had weak schedules.

Arguing something ilke that, "the twins would be a 4th place team or worse" is just not a good argument to bring up. You are already wrong in saying that. The Twins are 67-61. In the NL Central they would be in third place, one game behind Houston. In the AL east they would a few games behind the Yankees, also in third place. So saying that they would be a fourth place team or worse is just plain wrong. The simple truth? Nah.

Also the AL Central being weak is another poor argument. Number of teams under .500 by division:

AL East: 2
AL Central: 2
AL West: 2
NL East: 0
NL Central: 4
NL West: 5
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:57 pm

looptid wrote:Not having at least Baker up, if the Twins don't want to rush Liriano, is amazingly frustrating. I'm finding it very hard to be a Twins fan, having nothing to do with their record but espoused organizational philosophies.

Gardenvariety is in the paper talking about how he has too much respect for Joe to take him out of the rotation. Nevermind he has a 7.48 ERA since the all-star break. And Baker more than held his own in two starts already.

The Twins have shown time and time again this season that respect and deference for veteran players (or players Gardenvariety likes) takes precedence over putting the best possible team on the field. Mulholland blowing tie extra inning games (see Choi, Hee Sop), Stewart playing the outfield while Ford DHs when both are in the line-up.

Then Gardenvariety said about two weeks back that:
1. The Twins miss Guzman and Koskie.
2. The offense had been struggling due to a lack of speed.

First, Cuddyer's OPS is higher than Koskie's and Cuddyer has played more games. Second, Guzman is battling the Mendoza Line. Third, the Twins are in desperate need of people that get on base and hit for power, you know, the basic components of offense...

Gardenvariety didn't like Barlett winning the job over Jaun Castro either, and had him railroaded to the minors after just six weeks, so Castro could rival Guzman for offensive ineptitude.

I hope the Twins can pull the wildcard or division out at the last minute, but if they fail to reach the postseason, they deserve it.

And have you seen who Gardenvariety has hit second all year? First off, there is no rule that says a middle infielder must hit second. Second, the Twins don't have any good middle infielders. And third, don't you want your best hitters at the top of the line-up? Guys that actually reach base? Under no circumstances should Jaun Castro ever hit second, but it has happened more than once this season.

And what about not platooning Jones versus righties and LeCroy against lefties. Anyone seen the splits?

The Twins have made their bed and now they are going to sleep in it until next spring.

Not having at least Baker up, if the Twins don't want to rush Liriano, is amazingly frustrating. I'm finding it very hard to be a Twins fan, having nothing to do with their record but espoused organizational philosophies.

I am too finding it hard to be a Twins fan as of right now. The offensive output is miserable. But, it does look like they will call up Baker, seeing that Mays is now being put in the bullpen.

Seeing Castro in the 2-hole makes me sick.

Castro batting 2nd: .157 avg, .173 OBP
Castro batting 9th: .291 avg, .305 OBP

Punto is a step up in the 2-hole, but still not a 2 hitter.

Avg. batting 2nd: .263
OBP batting 2nd: .318

Luis Rodriguez is hitting .292 in the 2-hole, but he can't hit lefties.

These stats make me want to see Luis Rivas back with the club, and I HATE Luis Rivas.

The Twins have made their bed and now they are going to sleep in it until next spring

With no player hitting above .300, a downright crappy line-up and acquiring BRET BOONE, that statement is completely true.

I am still hoping they can pull it off, but as of now, it looks doubtful.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers