Concern about Frank Thomas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Concern about Frank Thomas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Concern about Frank Thomas

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:46 am

I want to trade Thome for some SP and bring in Frank Thomas to replace Thome on my roster (yes, Thomas is still a FA in our league!!). However, I am concerned becasue historically Thomas hits MUCH BETTER when he plays 1B then when he DHs. I have a feeling he is going to be mostly DHing the rest of the year. I think him playing 1B a lot lately has a lot to do with his recent ressurgence. I don't want to lose Thome, pick up Thomas, and then he goes back to being a .250 hitter. Any thoughts?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:24 am

i live in chicago and all of the news i have heard lately says thomas will play mostly at 1B with occasional 'off days' at DH.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby weitliz » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:37 pm

Aye, I listen to Chicago radio and am hearing the same. Konerko may be better than Thomas defensively but Frank hits a ton more when playing in the field.
weitliz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:10 pm

weitliz wrote:Aye, I listen to Chicago radio and am hearing the same. Konerko may be better than Thomas defensively but Frank hits a ton more when playing in the field.

Has Frank ever stated why he hits better when he plays the field? Is it me, or does Frank look a lot thinner this year? He looks like he's lost a few pounds...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby weitliz » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:21 pm

LCBOY wrote:Has Frank ever stated why he hits better when he plays the field? Is it me, or does Frank look a lot thinner this year? He looks like he's lost a few pounds...

To my knowledge, Frank has not stated why he hits better when playing in the field. My personal guess is that he is mentally more in the game when he doesn't sit every half-inning.

I cannot speak to the weight issue, I rarely watch Sox games ;-D
weitliz
College Coach
College Coach

Thomas

Postby Peter Gammons » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:29 pm

I go to quite a few Sox games, and yes Frank has lost a lot of junk in his trunk from last year.
Peter Gammons

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby tjhksig » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:52 pm

To paraphrase the Big Hurt:

He says when he DH's, he thinks about hitting too much, and as a result over analyzes everything at the plate. When he's in the field he is able to think less about hitting and just go do what he knows.

Side Note: Just picked him up in two leagues before this weekend, and I'm already shopping Huff to upgrade elsewhere.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Thomas

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:53 pm

Peter Gammons wrote:I go to quite a few Sox games, and yes Frank has lost a lot of junk in his trunk from last year.

He looks like he did in the mid '90s, big and powerful with a small waist. That may explain his big comeback this year. His years of TERRORIZING the AL are probably over but I still think he has enough left for some great years and to reach some career milstones like 500 HR, 1700-1800 RBI and maybe if he is very lucky and healthy, 3000 hits(He has 1963 hits as of today). That sounds liks a HOFer to me...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:01 pm

Here is my delimma. I have Thome at first (plus Klesko 1B/OF). Is Thomas going to have a better year than Thome? I'd like to trade Thome to shore up weaknesses on my team and pick up Frank. Whacha guys think?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjhksig » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:25 pm

LCBOY wrote:Here is my delimma. I have Thome at first (plus Klesko 1B/OF). Is Thomas going to have a better year than Thome? I'd like to trade Thome to shore up weaknesses on my team and pick up Frank. Whacha guys think?

That's quite a stretch. But, I think he does better than Klesko. You have no room on your roster for Thomas? You gotta make room.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers