Whats your PC running! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Whats your PC running!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:01 pm

slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:You guys are probably going to laugh....but I have a HP desktop that I absolutely love, I bought it in 2001 and have made significant upgrades (everything except the chip and motherboard has been upgraded):

1.3 GHz P4
640 MB DDR
120 gb total HD space (80 GB Western Digital, 40 GB Maxtor)
NEC 3500 DVDR
but here's the key that will allow me to play any new game that I've tried on 1024x768 resolution: VisionTek xtasy 9600XT video card (this is not even top of the line anymore, but it was when I bought it a year or so ago).

I don't even own a PS2 or XBox anymore, I play Madden 2006, MVP 2005, Half Life 2, and Tiger Woods 2005 on this computer, all on the highest detail graphics without any problems.

Take that as a tip for anyone out there who wants to get in to PC games but doesn't think their computer is fast enough to handle them. Processing speed barely matters at all - as long as you have a decent amount of RAM (and by today's standards - my 640 mb is pretty low actually) and a kick-butt video card, you'll be able to play the games fine. The video card is doing most of the work.

I agree 100% Your system is pretty much like mine accept for the processor is a bit slower. I had a gig ram 2.0 and a 9600xt and it ran things pretty darn well.

i got the 6600gt for my birthday and I was getting the same FPS for Doom 3 as the testers were with a 3.4ghz processor.

Of course my load times are a lot slower in Doom3 and half life 2 but the game itself runs' basically the same..

BTW if you wanna see a game that will torment your system try Flight Simulator 2004. That game is a graphics whore

Yeah my load times for HL2 are fairly slow also....but the game itself isn't really affected so I don't care.

I don't think I want to find a game that is a "graphics whore"...lol. I like it when my games run full speed. I wonder why a flight game would be so bad, is it extremely detailed or something?

Fligh sim is pretty much the most detalied game in the universe...For example you can fly over any staidum and see the colors and logos of the team.

It covers the whole world..Its a great looking game but of course Its' written by Microsfot so if it was done by like ID or Valve it would probably run way smoother
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:06 pm

My laptop was running a crap-tastic 1.6 GHz Celeron (AKA Centrino) with a video card from the dawn of the computing age, that is, before burglars recently absconded with it.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:09 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
blankman wrote:I really did not like HL2. I got bored of it.

The FPS game to get by far IMO is Far Cry. Its incredible and being 2 2+ yrs old, it should be cheap. ;-D

You didn't play CounterStrike at all? The multiplayer? But HL2 is also awesome. Did you at least play until you got the gravity gun?

I was much further than the gravity gun.

I played the original CounterStrike and I sucked at it. When I played online, I was very, very good at Far Cry.

I simply got bored of HL2. I was playing the hardest difficulty level, but I always play that level. One of the things I hated most was the pistol. It was just so weak. The Far Cry pistol is like a Deagle. Its just awesome, the best standard pistol in a game I've ever used.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:15 am

blankman wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
blankman wrote:I really did not like HL2. I got bored of it.

The FPS game to get by far IMO is Far Cry. Its incredible and being 2 2+ yrs old, it should be cheap. ;-D

You didn't play CounterStrike at all? The multiplayer? But HL2 is also awesome. Did you at least play until you got the gravity gun?

I was much further than the gravity gun.

I played the original CounterStrike and I sucked at it. When I played online, I was very, very good at Far Cry.

I simply got bored of HL2. I was playing the hardest difficulty level, but I always play that level. One of the things I hated most was the pistol. It was just so weak. The Far Cry pistol is like a Deagle. Its just awesome, the best standard pistol in a game I've ever used.

Half Life was fun but the charecters never change. I like Doom 3 and Doom 3 ROE.. In ROE they have a gravity gun thing too but you can catch fireballs and electric balls to shoot back at the IMPS its freaking sweet!

I need to start playing star wars battlefront online again with my new card. I actually paid for that one!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk