Whats your PC running! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Whats your PC running!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:07 pm

You guys are probably going to laugh....but I have a HP desktop that I absolutely love, I bought it in 2001 and have made significant upgrades (everything except the chip and motherboard has been upgraded):

1.3 GHz P4
640 MB DDR
120 gb total HD space (80 GB Western Digital, 40 GB Maxtor)
NEC 3500 DVDR
but here's the key that will allow me to play any new game that I've tried on 1024x768 resolution: VisionTek xtasy 9600XT video card (this is not even top of the line anymore, but it was when I bought it a year or so ago).

I don't even own a PS2 or XBox anymore, I play Madden 2006, MVP 2005, Half Life 2, and Tiger Woods 2005 on this computer, all on the highest detail graphics without any problems.

Take that as a tip for anyone out there who wants to get in to PC games but doesn't think their computer is fast enough to handle them. Processing speed barely matters at all - as long as you have a decent amount of RAM (and by today's standards - my 640 mb is pretty low actually) and a kick-butt video card, you'll be able to play the games fine. The video card is doing most of the work.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Although I agree the VPU is more important than the CPU a P4 1.3 is not exactly a dog. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:21 pm

http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/gamea ... /index.jsp

Processor Intel Pentium 4 2784MHz
Display Card ATI RADEON 9700 PRO
Memory 1024MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Free Disk Space 67.96GB
Display Card Memory 128MB
Display Driver Version 6.14.10.6553
DirectX Version 8.1
Optical Drive CD
Sound Card SB Audigy Audio [DC00]

Your system is among the top 13% of all systems scanned by the Game Advisor.

(yes I know I need to update DirectX)
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:45 pm

I stopped caring about computers about 2 years ago, when Warcraft III came out. I'll probably start caring should Blizzard release Diablo III and Starcraft II...

Anyways, I have 2 setups, the ghetto ass desktop, and my mediocre laptop:
5 year old desktop
P4 1.8 ghz (oh yeah)
Geforce fx 5200 128 mb
256 megs of RAMBUS memory. What a waste of space.
60 gigabyte HD
DVD/CD Combo Drive
15" LCD Monitor (and 19" CRT monitor)
Dell Mobo and all that "good" stuff...

1 year old Laptop
1.5 ghz Pentium M processor (~2.4-3 ghz conversion to p4 speeds)
ATI Radeon 9700 vid card
1.284 ghz of DDR-ram
40 gigabyte HD
dvd/cd Combo Drive
14.1" Viewable
Bluetooth Capable

I also have a couple components I use with both:

Logitech Z-560 speakers
Soundblaster Audigy 2 external sound card
External NEC DVD burner
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 pm

A gaming site that doesn't allow Mozilla? That's like a Yankee fan who doesn't like Jeter. :-[
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:05 am

I'm not much of a gamer, but love to tinker with computers. The one I've got now is almost a year old, but it's still pretty good. Bought everything (except the HD, got a great deal at Best Buy) from NewEgg. ;-D

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton (~1.7 GHz)
Albatron KX18D PROII MB
128 MB ATI 9800 Pro (had a 256, but fried it, but NewEgg took it back :-D)
1GB Kingston HyperX SDRAM
DVD-ROM and DVD burner in second bay
150 GB WD HD
Creative I-Trigue 3300 speakers
Koolance water cooled case, overkill probably, but it was cheap and it's a hell of a lot quieter than an equivalent air/fan cooled system ;-D

Games: MVP 2005, Links 2003, and that's about it. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:40 am

slomo007 wrote:You guys are probably going to laugh....but I have a HP desktop that I absolutely love, I bought it in 2001 and have made significant upgrades (everything except the chip and motherboard has been upgraded):

1.3 GHz P4
640 MB DDR
NEC 3500 DVDR
but here's the key that will allow me to play any new game that I've tried on 1024x768 resolution: VisionTek xtasy 9600XT video card (this is not even top of the line anymore, but it was when I bought it a year or so ago).

I don't even own a PS2 or XBox anymore, I play Madden 2006, MVP 2005, Half Life 2, and Tiger Woods 2005 on this computer, all on the highest detail graphics without any problems.

Take that as a tip for anyone out there who wants to get in to PC games but doesn't think their computer is fast enough to handle them. Processing speed barely matters at all - as long as you have a decent amount of RAM (and by today's standards - my 640 mb is pretty low actually) and a kick-butt video card, you'll be able to play the games fine. The video card is doing most of the work.

I agree 100% Your system is pretty much like mine accept for the processor is a bit slower. I had a gig ram 2.0 and a 9600xt and it ran things pretty darn well.

i got the 6600gt for my birthday and I was getting the same FPS for Doom 3 as the testers were with a 3.4ghz processor.

Of course my load times are a lot slower in Doom3 and half life 2 but the game itself runs' basically the same..

BTW if you wanna see a game that will torment your system try Flight Simulator 2004. That game is a graphics whore
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:You guys are probably going to laugh....but I have a HP desktop that I absolutely love, I bought it in 2001 and have made significant upgrades (everything except the chip and motherboard has been upgraded):

1.3 GHz P4
640 MB DDR
NEC 3500 DVDR

I agree 100% Your system is pretty much like mine accept for the processor is a bit slower. I had a gig ram 2.0 and a 9600xt and it ran things pretty darn well.

i got the 6600gt for my birthday and I was getting the same FPS for Doom 3 as the testers were with a 3.4ghz processor.

Of course my load times are a lot slower in Doom3 and half life 2 but the game itself runs' basically the same..

BTW if you wanna see a game that will torment your system try Flight Simulator 2004. That game is a graphics whore

Yeah my load times for HL2 are fairly slow also....but the game itself isn't really affected so I don't care.

I don't think I want to find a game that is a "graphics whore"...lol. I like it when my games run full speed. I wonder why a flight game would be so bad, is it extremely detailed or something?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:58 pm

I think I might win this contest...

PIII 933 MHz
512 Mb ram
3 Gb HDD
ati radeon (don't recall model number) 32Mb
sb live 5.1
17" trinitron

:)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk