AL wildcard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL wildcard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

twins AAA

Postby fisher person » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:06 pm

yeah I'm afraid of those callups, hopefully management wont call them up for cleveland's sake.

Gotta give the twins some credit, they play tough.

Lecroy,Ford and the others have to pickup Justin's jock.Mauer is a rock. Their pen is nasty too.
The sox cant implode totally, can they??
fisher person
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: mweir

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:17 pm

fisher person wrote:bring on those hot bluejays who have lost 4 in a row!!!

Dont take offense, I'm not ranking the BJ's with Detroit or KC, they are .500 team which is respectable, just not a team you look at on the schedule and dread playing

Make that 5 in a row..

Boston sure dreads playing us, I'll tell you that.. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Re: twins AAA

Postby joeg24 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:01 am

fisher person wrote:yeah I'm afraid of those callups, hopefully management wont call them up for cleveland's sake.

Gotta give the twins some credit, they play tough.

Lecroy,Ford and the others have to pickup Justin's jock.Mauer is a rock. Their pen is nasty too.
The sox cant implode totally, can they??

I can't see how such a solid team can lose such a lead in just two weeks. I doubt they blow it, but with so many MIN/CLE games on the schedule, I would honeslty bea little concerned if I was a Sox fan. Losing a game like that tonight isn't good either.

I like the Indians too, and even the A's for that matter, it's amazing that we are discussing them and the Yankee's for a wildcard spot, this should be a non-issue, if the resources given to the teams were even close to properly utilized, the Yankee's arn't in this discussion!
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Re: twins AAA

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:04 am

joeg24 wrote:it's amazing that we are discussing them and the Yankee's for a wildcard spot, this should be a non-issue, if the resources given to the teams were even close to properly utilized, the Yankee's arn't in this discussion!

of course not. properly utilized, you'd disband the team, use half a year's payroll to take down yankee stadium, salt the earth, and then take the money left over and give it to the homeless. so you're right... the yankees wouldn't even be in the discussion. :)
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:24 am

Not that it matters because none of these teams will do anything in the playoffs if they get there, but I have Oakland and New York both over Cleveland.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby ramble2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:40 am

New York, Cleveland and Minnesota have a schedule advantage over Oakland. Until the final weekend. NYY ends the season with a 3 game series at BOS, CLE hosts CWS, and MIN hosts DET. OAK is at SEA.

The Red Sox would love to keep the Yankees out of the playoffs.
Detroit may be gunning for .500 - a big deal for the Tigers.
Seattle will have shut down Felix by then, but tend to play the A's tough at home.
Chicago will be taking it easy.

If it's close going into the final weekend, I give the edge to the Tribe - edging out the A's and Twins.

The A's are a funny team this year. It's like watching a rookie. Struggles, locks in and tears it up, gets figured out and cools off. What's next? If they make the right adjustments and start putting some runs on the board they'll win the wildcard. Really I have no idea. Any one of the four teams could get hot and just pull away.

Fun to watch though!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ramble2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:45 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Not that it matters because none of these teams will do anything in the playoffs if they get there, but I have Oakland and New York both over Cleveland.

Oh I don't know about that. Oakland owned Chicago when they faced them in Chicago. A lot of my friends and family are White Sox fans, and the last team they want to see in the playoffs are the A's.

And nobody should ever want to play the Twins in the playoffs. That homer dome is a crazy place for a short series.

I don't know what to make of Cleveland if they make the playoffs. I don't have a good handle on their team, but any team with a great bullpen and decent offense is dangerous.

I think it's dangerous to write off the Yankees, but they seem like the team that would have the toughest time in the playoffs. Their bullpen seems shot - a recipe for disaster in the playoffs.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fisher person » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:14 am

the person that commented about the indians not doing much damage if they make the playoffs is probably correct. Not alot of experience or leadership on that team period, but if you look at the lineup 1-5 and throw in Belliard, its really nice. 16-4 last 21 games. Maybe they learned something by getting spanked by the twins last August
fisher person
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ramble2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:25 am

fisher person wrote:the person that commented about the indians not doing much damage if they make the playoffs is probably correct. Not alot of experience or leadership on that team period, but if you look at the lineup 1-5 and throw in Belliard, its really nice. 16-4 last 21 games. Maybe they learned something by getting spanked by the twins last August

Look at the last few WS champs and their playoff experience:

2004 - BOS - lots of playoff experience. Wild card team.
2003 - FLA - largely inexperienced. Beckett performed fine. Wild card team.
2002 - ANA - largely inexperienced. Went through the playoffs like a buzzsaw. Wild card team.
2001 - ARI - largely inexperienced. Rode their big horses.
2000 - NYY - incredible experience.

I don't know whether or not they have leadership. I suspect there are clubhouse leaders.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:20 am

I said it at the break and laughed at myself for saying it but I'll say it again. Don't be surprised if the Indians catch the White Sox. 7 GB with 36 to play for the Tribe and 40 left for the Sox. If they don't catch em, it'll be close.

The Yankees are winning the Wild Card, if not the division. Deal with it. It's happening.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers