AL wildcard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL wildcard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rlee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:04 pm

I think the Yankees will win it. :-[ Not a Yankee fan, by any means, but with Wright coming back stron, Chacon pitching well, I think they have momentum, have the experience to win "must" games. I just think they will somehow, some way win it. :-P
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Morrison8312 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:12 pm

It's a tough one being a Red Sox fan but I have to look at the best team and I think it's the Yankees. Rlee said it perfectly. Chacon, Small, Wright have all had great starts and you add them with Sheff, ARod, Jeter, Matsui, Giambi, Cano thats a great team. They won't win jack in the postseason IMO but they will win the wildcard.

1. Yanks
2. A's
3. Indians
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:12 pm

mweir145 wrote:The Jays. :-D (Only 5.5 back) ;-D

Realistically, though, it's going to be the Yankees.

Haha, Agreed.. :-b ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:26 pm

NY is finally putting it together. Moose, Chacon and Wright have been dominant. Leiter's volunteered to go to the pen and even though he only goes 5 innings, he doesn't give up many runs. Small could come back and start and continue to be great, the bullpen has gotten 3 days rest which is absolutely huge and the hitters, well they alone could carry the team. Wang is also coming back for September, further strengthening the staff.

Oakland I don't think has the bats and Cleveland, the experience or the closer.

NY's making the playoffs; AT and I said it before when things were going poorly and I'm still saying it. This team will make it, you can count on it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:44 pm

Indians won't have to rely on CC. they'll put C. Lee or Millwood or Westbrook out there.

The only A's pitcher I'd take over those guys hands down in Harden. The other guys you can argue either way on.

Same w/ the bullpen.

I think the schedule favors the Indians for sure, but I won't discount the Yankees just yet.

I think the Yankees will win the WC, then CLE, then OAK.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby waterproof » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:08 pm

I see the Wild Card coming from the East or West...
the Central? :-t
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

go ahead poo poo cleveland, fantasy geeks

Postby fisher person » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:41 pm

i laugh at those that think the indians dont have enough pitching. They are solid 1 through five, and yes, that's what it takes to make it into the playoffs. And those that say the indians must RELY on CC , probably dont even know that Millwood doest play for the Braves anymore.
check out Milllies ERA since the all star break 2.95 in last month for you lazy ones out there.
Westbrook scares me, very inconsistent, but Lee, Elarton, CC, and Milly are solid. The bullpen is awesome,what a turnaround in 1 year. sure wickman makes saves interesting, but he get gets saves, and have you seen F Cabrera, our new set up guy (K Rod- anyone)??? The Tribe has an EASY schedule KC,DET,TOR one more game away game than home games the rest of way, which is good since they play better on the road. 3rd best road record.
It will come down to the tribe, or yankees before the A's.

the A's starters are good, yeah, but A's fans are living in the past. Zito's era has been 3.80 last month, he's not the 2.00 era #1 pitcher you remember.
Put your Dan Johnson saddles away, cuz You cant ride dan johnson to the promised land.
fisher person
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
tribefan13 wrote:The tribe not having the pitching.....they have the best bullpen in the American league. How is Chicago doing lately, lost 9 out of their last 10????? ya if the tribe keeps playing the way they are then they easily can win the division. I would put money on them at least winning the wild card. Just wait and you will all see

So this is exactly what I said it was. ;-)

A "just wait and you will all see" thread, as opposed to the "which team do you think" thread, it's masking itself as. :-)

When you're relying on C.C. Sabathia to put in quality starts in the clutch, I pull my money off the table. Give me Harden, Zito, Haren, and even Blanton in the late games all day long. At this point in the season, if you think you're bridging an 8 game gap, like I usually say, lay off the crack pipe. In case you haven't checked a calendar lately, it's August 23rd.

I think any Cub or Met fan can tell you that in August of 69 the Cubs were 10 games up on the Mets and ended up 8 behind them :~(
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: go ahead poo poo cleveland, fantasy geeks

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:02 pm

fisher person wrote:It will come down to the tribe, or yankees before the A's.

the A's starters are good, yeah, but A's fans are living in the past. Zito's era has been 3.80 last month, he's not the 2.00 era #1 pitcher you remember.
Put your Dan Johnson saddles away, cuz You cant ride dan johnson to the promised land.

Well said. ;-7
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:03 pm

I like the Indians as well, absolutely stacked young offensive lineup. Peralta, Hafner, VMart, Crisp, Sizemore, etc. These guys really come through when the team needs it and the Tribe has been super hot lately. Bullpen is about the best in the league almost. Wickman has been the only shaky part really of the pen but like the post above said he gets the job done. The starters are really the only shaky thing on the team besides Wickman, They don't have any true ace but its full of a bunch of guys that are at least consistent and don't give up 5+ runs most of the time. Millwood, CC, and Lee are all pretty consistent and never really blow too many games. Westbrook is inconsistent as its been said but he throws gems every once in a while, He has the chance of being great. Im not too high on Elarton but he has gotten the job done and hasn't really screwed up much this year so I guess Ill have to give him a hand. I see the Indians taking the WC easily.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers