Math for the Liberal Arts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Math for the Liberal Arts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:06 pm

Yes, I am dropping my calculus this year. No way I have time to do homework my senior year. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:58 pm

Phatferd wrote:Here is the course description from the catalog.

Topics will include financial management, probability, statistics and selected topics such as geometry, logic, math modeling, and the history of mathematics.

Here is ASU's description of the equivalent class.

Applies basic college-level mathematics to real-life problems. Appropriate for students whose major does not require MAT 117 or 170. Prerequisite: MAT 106 or 2 years of high school algebra.

Sounds like generic covering everything to me. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:05 am

Topics will include financial management, probability, statistics and selected topics such as geometry, logic, math modeling, and the history of mathematics.

Or more commonly referred to as "High School Math".

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:13 am

Tavish wrote:

Or more commonly referred to as "High School Math".

Maybe 20 years ago. :-D If you wanted to, you could pretty much slide by at my high school without having a grasp of even those basics. All public education is a joke, but that's a topic for another day, and probably a different place. :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Phatferd » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:39 am

My HS math classes were a joke. I don't make excuses for my problems in math, but I got screwed in HS.

My school (public) decided to experiment with their math courses while I was there and the year after I was done with math they realized it was a failure (at my expense). They did this thing called Integrated Math instead of Algebra. We would learn a little bit of Algebra, Geometry and Trig. It was horrible, I wasn't able to master one before we moved onto the next.

I only knew about 3 chapters of basic Algebra before we moved onto Geometry and when I was thrown into College Algebra in college I was sooo lost.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:18 pm

I really did like modern algebra :)

as for the LAM, i think if the course is done right and you really don't need a more advanced course then you should be fine... :)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Math for the Liberal Arts

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:13 pm

Phatferd wrote:Ok, since we are talking about college in a lot of threads I thought I would ask this question. I doubt anyone will be able to answer me because most on this site are advanced in math and wouldn't ever take this course.

As most of you know I hate math. A lot of this has to do with me just not being a math mind. I have taken Algebra and just enrolled in Liberal Arts math at my school. I went to the first class today and the math seems rather interesting. I was wondering if those who have ever taken both have any thoughts on Liberal Arts math.

I'm with ya. I too am mathamatically challenged. I took that class or one similar, turned out to be one of my favorites. Enjoy ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to General Talk