Math for the Liberal Arts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Math for the Liberal Arts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think Liberal Arts math is just a general term for introductory math courses, usually non-calculus and geared toward the non-math major. I always liked math but had other topic requirements that I hated. Colleges usually offer some pretty creative alternatives to meet requirements. I'm not sure how many math credits you need but basic comp sci classes and basic statistics classes might be something you could look at. You can apply the statistics to fantasy baseball and everyone can always use a little extra computer experience no matter the field.

Yeah, I'd also recommend statistics. This is the class I took to meet my math requirement, and even though I hate math, I managed to enjoy it. It's not like any other math you've already taken (I'd imagine) and not nearly as tedious.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:50 pm

I've heard mixed thing regarding statistics.

Math for the Liberal Arts is pretty much math that we would use in normal everyday activities. We will learn or go over buying a home and using interest rates, etc...We will do 3 projects such as buying a home and so on. We also go over applications, odds, diagrams and just go into the basics of angles, polygons and all that fun stuff.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 pm

I assume that Liberal Arts Match is your school's terminology for some sort of basic Algebra or maybe Pre-Calculus course. At my university, every Math course has a content specific title, so I'm not sure. As a Math Major heading into the home stretch, all I can say is, if you don't enjoy, I wouldn't shoot too far passed these elementary courses, because once you hit even some of the more challenging lower level 100-200 level courses, they can be quite the hassle, especially if you're not enjoying it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:35 pm

Liberal Arts Math I have never heard of, maybe its like basic Calculus and Algebra. Im 50/50 on math. I rocked in high school and college in stuff like Algebra, Probability and Statistics. I absolutely sucked at Trig and Geometry, Got a C- In Geometry as a freshman in high school and nearly failed Trig senior year if it hadn't been for me doing some last minute extra credit.(Not like I needed that credit anyway, I have no clue why I cared.) :-b

I thank the Lord every night that I have only two more years of learning. :-D
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:40 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Thank God for ASU and Broadcast Journalism degrees.

Hey Phats! I have the same degree from the same school. That's worth a couple of these- ;-D ;-D

I took MAT 114 which bursted my brain with topics such as probability and the outcomes of coin flipping.

For my Masters though I had to go back and take Calculus... jeezus that was awful :-[

How's your degree coming? Are you on ASU campus or doing distance learning? :-?
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Phatferd » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:43 pm

Here is the course description from the catalog.

Topics will include financial management, probability, statistics and selected topics such as geometry, logic, math modeling, and the history of mathematics.

Here is ASU's description of the equivalent class.

Applies basic college-level mathematics to real-life problems. Appropriate for students whose major does not require MAT 117 or 170. Prerequisite: MAT 106 or 2 years of high school algebra.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:50 pm

Differential Equations should be right up your ally B-)
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Rirruto wrote:What is Liberal Arts Math? I took this one class freshman year called Mathematics in Action, it was such a joke. Here is the course description:

Emphasizes the real-world significance of mathematics and applications of several areas of mathematics. Topics include design of street networks, planning and scheduling, weighted voting systems, fair division and apportionment, measuring populations and the universe, symmetries, fractals and statistics. Provides an experience in quantitative reasoning and data analysis through mathematical modeling of some real-life problems including a hands-on approach. Emphasizes the importance, relevance and currency of mathematics in the modern world.

I think of that family guy episode with the two gangsters on the corner discussing variables :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:38 pm

Calculus isn't that bad. ;-)
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:46 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Calculus isn't that bad. ;-)

It really isn't. Its actually kind of cool.

Calc III though... :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk