Math for the Liberal Arts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Math for the Liberal Arts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Math for the Liberal Arts

Postby Phatferd » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:13 am

Ok, since we are talking about college in a lot of threads I thought I would ask this question. I doubt anyone will be able to answer me because most on this site are advanced in math and wouldn't ever take this course.

As most of you know I hate math. A lot of this has to do with me just not being a math mind. I have taken Algebra and just enrolled in Liberal Arts math at my school. I went to the first class today and the math seems rather interesting. I was wondering if those who have ever taken both have any thoughts on Liberal Arts math.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:18 am

Math :-t :-t :-t

Get it over with and never think of it again.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:21 am

theclefe wrote:Math :-t :-t :-t

That's the plan. I specifically chose a major that doesn't require too much ;-D .

Thank God for ASU and Broadcast Journalism degrees.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:50 am

But...but...but without math how could you play fantasy baseball?
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Rirruto » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:10 am

What is Liberal Arts Math? I took this one class freshman year called Mathematics in Action, it was such a joke. Here is the course description:

Emphasizes the real-world significance of mathematics and applications of several areas of mathematics. Topics include design of street networks, planning and scheduling, weighted voting systems, fair division and apportionment, measuring populations and the universe, symmetries, fractals and statistics. Provides an experience in quantitative reasoning and data analysis through mathematical modeling of some real-life problems including a hands-on approach. Emphasizes the importance, relevance and currency of mathematics in the modern world.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby theclefe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:17 am

Rkiivs wrote:

You need Math for Fantasy baseball? :-?

I think I quit now.

Fortunatly, computers do all the work for me so I can sit back and enjoy an icy beverage, then laugh at all my endless knowledge. Compueter checks my speling too.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:40 am

Rirruto wrote:What is Liberal Arts Math? I took this one class freshman year called Mathematics in Action, it was such a joke. Here is the course description:

Emphasizes the real-world significance of mathematics and applications of several areas of mathematics. Topics include design of street networks, planning and scheduling, weighted voting systems, fair division and apportionment, measuring populations and the universe, symmetries, fractals and statistics. Provides an experience in quantitative reasoning and data analysis through mathematical modeling of some real-life problems including a hands-on approach. Emphasizes the importance, relevance and currency of mathematics in the modern world.

Math In Action. LOL. I had a few friends that took that as well. God bless Bing. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby DK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:46 am

theclefe wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:

You need Math for Fantasy baseball? :-?

I think I quit now.

Fortunatly, computers do all the work for me so I can sit back and enjoy an icy beverage, then laugh at all my endless knowledge. Compueter checks my speling too.

Guess not. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:02 pm

I never heard of Liberal Arts math.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:02 pm

I think Liberal Arts math is just a general term for introductory math courses, usually non-calculus and geared toward the non-math major. I always liked math but had other topic requirements that I hated. Colleges usually offer some pretty creative alternatives to meet requirements. I'm not sure how many math credits you need but basic comp sci classes and basic statistics classes might be something you could look at. You can apply the statistics to fantasy baseball and everyone can always use a little extra computer experience no matter the field.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk