Vincente Padilla: Finally Pitching Like He Was Supposed To - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vincente Padilla: Finally Pitching Like He Was Supposed To

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 pm

For a spot start, I'd roll with Padilla. However, I don't trust him at home, which is where I trust 90% of my SPs more than on the road, so the amount of times I'd feel comfortable actually putting him in my starting lineup wouldn't be enough for him to warrant a roster spot.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:38 pm

bigh0rt wrote:For a spot start, I'd roll with Padilla. However, I don't trust him at home, which is where I trust 90% of my SPs more than on the road, so the amount of times I'd feel comfortable actually putting him in my starting lineup wouldn't be enough for him to warrant a roster spot.


Except his recent streak has been mostly thanks to pitching at home...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6257/gamelog
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:45 pm

Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:For a spot start, I'd roll with Padilla. However, I don't trust him at home, which is where I trust 90% of my SPs more than on the road, so the amount of times I'd feel comfortable actually putting him in my starting lineup wouldn't be enough for him to warrant a roster spot.


Except his recent streak has been mostly thanks to pitching at home...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6257/gamelog


Yes, I did notice that. However, CBP is too much of a launchpad for me to feel comfortable, regardless. I don't carry any PHI pitchers, similarly to COL (with Fuentes as an exception), and CIN pitchers. I just don't feel comfortable starting them enough of the time to want them on my team.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:17 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:For a spot start, I'd roll with Padilla. However, I don't trust him at home, which is where I trust 90% of my SPs more than on the road, so the amount of times I'd feel comfortable actually putting him in my starting lineup wouldn't be enough for him to warrant a roster spot.


Except his recent streak has been mostly thanks to pitching at home...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6257/gamelog


Yes, I did notice that. However, CBP is too much of a launchpad for me to feel comfortable, regardless. I don't carry any PHI pitchers, similarly to COL (with Fuentes as an exception), and CIN pitchers. I just don't feel comfortable starting them enough of the time to want them on my team.


I agree with Canned Beef! ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:34 pm

ERA: 1.46
WHIP: 1.21

These numbers belie the truth. A 1.21 WHIP will not result in a 1.46 ERA over time. And look at the ugly the 19:14 K:walk rate over the last four games. Now factor in that two of these games where against the sad sack Padres and Nats offenses, including a game in Petco and that Padilla, who had given up a bomb like every 4th inning, gave up none over 27 innings, which could be construed as a combination of a lucky streak and terrible opposing offenses.

There is nothing here to indicate that he has turned the corner any way. In fact, the evidence seems to be that he got a little lucky and will revert to his usual crappy fantasy resuts very shortly.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby d18Mike » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:50 am

You might be right ... but 9 QSs is in a row certainly says something. There was some discussion on Padilla on MLB.com yesterday and the director of statistics said that Padilla has turned the corner. I think his analysis is generally sound.

Last night 3 hits over 8 innings and a win. Not bad.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1696
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:13 am

Yeah that WHIP last night was brutal ;-7 Anyways, nobody is saying hes like a keeper or something, hes just really hot right now and worth a pickup for the near future.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby ja515y » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:37 pm

I think Padilla could be a stud if his health didn't suck so much.
he's another J.D. Drew, Ken Griffey. He'll be good when he's healthy, but don't expect that too often.
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 401
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:35 am

stumpak wrote:ERA: 1.46
WHIP: 1.21

These numbers belie the truth. A 1.21 WHIP will not result in a 1.46 ERA over time. And look at the ugly the 19:14 K:walk rate over the last four games. Now factor in that two of these games where against the sad sack Padres and Nats offenses, including a game in Petco and that Padilla, who had given up a bomb like every 4th inning, gave up none over 27 innings, which could be construed as a combination of a lucky streak and terrible opposing offenses.

There is nothing here to indicate that he has turned the corner any way. In fact, the evidence seems to be that he got a little lucky and will revert to his usual crappy fantasy resuts very shortly.


There's plenty to say that he's turned it around. He was injured the last couple of years and has pitched simply terrible when he did play. He is not pitching terrible now, he's pitching great.

I also wouldn't call this years results "usual crappy fantasy stats" unless you discount any history in baseball. He had two years of sub 1.30 WHIP, mid 3ERA's and 14 wins. Not bad even if not stud and far from crappy.

Since the all-star break:

w-l IP w/k ERA WHIP
2-3 46.1 19/34 2.14 1.08

Not a real good W/9 or w/k, but a nice WHIP in a hitters park. I'd call that evidence.

If you haven't seen him play, one thing that he's changed from earlier this season is that he is working faster. He was always a slow worker, and this year he was even worse, taking forever to throw the ball. After getting shelled time and time again, the news was that he had one last chance as a starter. He changed things around that game, working quickly on the mound and its worked great. So there's more here then just a stretch of nice starts. He was on the blocks and has responded.

That's not to say he's a top pitcher now, or that he will keep it up, but he has certainely turned it around from where he was. Hope he keeps it up. For those of us in deeper leagues, instead of shallow all-star leagues, he's been a viable starter lately.
Last edited by swyck on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:37 am

Hey, the guy had a good year a little while back so he deserves some credit with this run he's on. Quite possible he keeps it up, but I'm a little doubtful of that mainly due to the two Atlanta and Florida series in the middle of September. Compared to those teams he's walking on easy street now. Temper your expectations..
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
Posts: 2563
(Past Year: 109)
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, GRIN, neuronss and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact