Chacon love? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chacon love?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:20 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Rirruto wrote:I'm not a believer just yet. Over his career, his road stats are pretty bad as well as his Coors stats. Maybe he's just putting it all together this year or maybe just having a lucky season, who knows.

He was still pitching for the Rockies. The Coors effect extends beyond simply the park factor. It affects a pitcher's confidence and his ability to pitch effectively. Good Lord. I'm starting to sound like one of those rabid Jeter fans.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think it's quite so simple as extracting a pitcher's away stats from his overall numbers when his home park is Coors. The place ruins pitchers, period. Pitchers are not the same pitching for the Rockies.

I agree. I wish I could remember where I read it (probably an old BP article), but there was a study done on Rockies batters which showed an odd trend. After a long home stand, they get out of practice seeing breaking balls. Breaking balls don't break as well in the thin air, and Rockies batters tend to get killed by breaking ball pitchers in the first few games of a road trip. It usually takes them a few games to get back up to speed in recognizing pitches at or near sea level.

I wonder if a similar sort of thing goes on with pitchers. They have to make weird adjustments when pitching at home, which might develop into bad tendencies on the road (i.e., over-compensation).

This is all just speculation, but I tend to reserve judgment on pitchers who've left Coors until I've seen them pitch somewhere else for a while.

I picked up Chacon after he killed the White Sox. I'll probably throw him in his next start and hope the ride continues.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:42 pm

Strasil42 wrote:Sea Level Chacon rules!!!

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:08 pm

Ya, Chacon is actually a decent pitcher. Hes just an unfortunate one to pitch in Coors. Hes only had three outings all year where he has given up more than 4 earned runs. With the Yankees he has a 1.64 ERA and a 0.87 WHIP. Im thinking about grabbing him off the WW. ;-D
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Red Stripe wrote:Ya, Chacon is actually a decent pitcher. Hes just an unfortunate one to pitch in Coors. Hes only had three outings all year where he has given up more than 4 earned runs. With the Yankees he has a 1.64 ERA and a 0.87 WHIP. Im thinking about grabbing him off the WW. ;-D

Thinking? I'd pick him up right now.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:38 pm

blankman wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:Ya, Chacon is actually a decent pitcher. Hes just an unfortunate one to pitch in Coors. Hes only had three outings all year where he has given up more than 4 earned runs. With the Yankees he has a 1.64 ERA and a 0.87 WHIP. Im thinking about grabbing him off the WW. ;-D

Thinking? I'd pick him up right now.

Just did. ;-D I guess I made up my mind. :-b
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:31 pm

chacon has been contributing to my ****** *** team :-B
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian