Soriano almost goes to Twins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Soriano almost goes to Twins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano almost goes to Twins?

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:25 am

MLB.com :
"The Minnesota Twins have claimed second baseman Alfonso Soriano off waivers, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

The report states the Twins claimed Soriano to block a trade to another team and the clubs do not expect to make a deal."

This doesn't sound very fair to me. Shouldn't they have to take him if they claim him? Can the Rangers force them to take him?
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:38 am

What do you mean it doesn't sound fair? This is how the waiver process works. It's all strategy. The Rangers could make the Twins take him, but why would they want to do that? The whole reason you put the guy through waivers is because if he clears then you can trade him to anyone.

The Twins had the highest priority of the teams that claimed him, so the Rangers could cut a deal with Minnesota, just give him to the Twins, or keep Soriano. He's a good enough player, without an oppressive salary, who Texas wouldn't give away for nothing. No deal with Minnesota means Sori stays in Texas.

I don't understand the problem.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:What do you mean it doesn't sound fair? This is how the waiver process works. It's all strategy. The Rangers could make the Twins take him, but why would they want to do that? The whole reason you put the guy through waivers is because if he clears then you can trade him to anyone.

I figured they put him on waivers because they were looking to dump his contract..... And please excuse my lack of mlb waiver knowledge, but couldn't they trade him in the off season anyways?

Big Pimpin wrote: The Twins had the highest priority of the teams that claimed him, so the Rangers could cut a deal with Minnesota, just give him to the Twins, or keep Soriano. He's a good enough player, without an oppressive salary, who Texas wouldn't give away for nothing. No deal with Minnesota means Sori stays in Texas.

I don't understand the problem.

So, again, I don't understand why they'd put him on waivers to begin with if they didn't want to get rid of him?
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:45 am

Read the following thread, it should answer a lot of your questions. The first few posts are specific, but then it gets into the whole process.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:46 am

thanks, it helped
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates