Valverde looking pretty safe as AZ closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Valverde looking pretty safe as AZ closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Valverde looking pretty safe as AZ closer

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:31 pm

Brandon Lyon's disastrous return to the active list and Bruney's well earned demotion to the minors appear to have resolved this situation.

Valverde thus becomes very marketable for those who can afford to peddle a closer.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:51 pm

Pulled him off of my wire for 1.00 ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:04 am

1 more reason to not draft closers. I never draft closers and pull all the new closers off waivers. I currently have Turnbow, Valverde, Lyon, Fuentes, and TJones. Why draft closers as early as 6th round? Makes no sense to me and if anyone can provide a reason ill be astound.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:13 am

The closer who K more than a hundred a year (Lidge, K-Rod, and Ryan) should get drafted higher, because they actually effect most pitching cats in a positive way, none of those guys (except maybe Valverde) have helped nearly as much in k's...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby SoxWillNeverWinAgain » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:20 am

Niffoc4 wrote:The closer who K more than a hundred a year (Lidge, K-Rod, and Ryan) should get drafted higher, because they actually effect most pitching cats in a positive way, none of those guys (except maybe Valverde) have helped nearly as much in k's...

Right I agree.. In my league, a guy like Lidge can help you with appearances, k's, whip, era and saves.. a multitude of cats .. he's worthy of a high draft pick.
SoxWillNeverWinAgain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:54 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:1 more reason to not draft closers. I never draft closers and pull all the new closers off waivers. I currently have Turnbow, Valverde, Lyon, Fuentes, and TJones. Why draft closers as early as 6th round? Makes no sense to me and if anyone can provide a reason ill be astound.

Im not huge on scouring the wire for closers. I like to come out in the 5th/6th/7th rounds of a draft and throw down two very solid closers back to back. Sure, they can implode but so can starting pitchers. If you drafted Greg Aquino this year, then you should have been a little concerned about the future. If you took Rivera, Gagne, Hoffman, Wagner, Izzy - injuries aside you should be fine. I don't like leaving closers til the end of my draft, because those are usually the guys that lose their jobs. Look at all the bottom tier closers prior to the season starting and where are they now.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:51 am

Scouring the wire for new closers could also leave you with the likes of Matt Belisle, Greg Aquino, Adam Bernero, Bruney, Brazoban, Mike Adams, Joe Borowski, Latroy hawkins and a host of other crap pitchers. I've had every one of those guys on my team at some point this year because they were named closers. Yuck.

If you picked up guys like Street, Hermanson, Valverde, Turnbow, Rodney or Reitsma, good for you, but your league is not as on the ball as mine. All of those guys were owned speculatively before they became closers or were picked up immediately after the announcement was made. All I can say is it's a crap shoot and one man's Hermanson is another man's bruney. You don't know who will be who.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gepfar » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:19 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:1 more reason to not draft closers. I never draft closers and pull all the new closers off waivers. I currently have Turnbow, Valverde, Lyon, Fuentes, and TJones. Why draft closers as early as 6th round? Makes no sense to me and if anyone can provide a reason ill be astound.

My league has a limit of 15 waiver moves per year, not enough to keep trying to grab the "flavor of the week". Also, our waiver priority is worst to first. I was performing well enough overall, that I kept missing out on the quality closer pickups as they became available. My roster started with Nathan and Adams. As of today, I have Nathan, Reitsma, Rodney, Benitez...not great but I was able to pick up a couple. Had I not drafted Nathan I'd probably be last in saves. As of today, I am 8th in saves and in striking distance of 5th.
Gep
Gepfar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 011472 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:14 am

I like to draft 2 closers who can help in K's, ERA and WHIP in the middle to late rounds, then grab help from the wire as needed. In my 8 team league, there's usually someone available. This year I drafted K-Rod and Mota and currently have K-Rod, Street and Rodney.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:30 pm

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39496
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers