Closers - Important to have on your team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closers - Important to have on your team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closers - Important to have on your team?

Postby Uzi » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:08 pm

I ask because I am in the belief that if you only have one good closer, it really isn't worth having one.

I have Smoltz in a 5x5, 14 team league. I have yet to win or even tie in the saves category. Since there are no other closers out there to pick up, and no one wants to trade one, I am tempted to trade Smoltz for an above average starter.

Anyone else here think closers are way over-rated in fantasy baseball leagues?

Uzi
Uzi

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:18 pm

It depends on the league format. In a head to head league, it might make sense to just forget about saves all together in the draft and stock up on other draft categories, conceding the steals category altogether. Since there are 9 other categories to win, and you only really need to finish with an above .500 record to make the playoffs for most h2h leagues, there's nothing wrong with conceding saves or steals.

In a roto league, however, you need a balanced team. In a 12 team 5x5 league, you generally need to have around 100 points, or an average third place finish across the categories. In this type of league, if you concede steals or saves, and take just one point in that category, you now have to average a second place finish or 11 points in every other category. That just gives you too little room for error and one injury or bad year from one of your players can kill your chances. You don't have to have so many closers that you win the saves category outright, but in a roto league, you want to finish at least in the middle of the pack in saves. If you take one elite closer in the first five rounds, and then 2-3 cheap closers late in the draft, that should do it for you.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quickfingerz » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:59 pm

I'd trade FOR a closer rather than just trade away smoltz. You have the potential to go 0-14 in saves where just finding a cheap closer or one from free agency can pull your record to 7-7 in saves.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:11 am

Whether or not closers are overrated depends on the scoring. In roto ball with an innings cap, they're probably underrated, since many people merely see them as a source of saves and overlook the fact that, on average, they'll give you the best across-the-board numbers on a per-inning basis.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lepke » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:20 am

Yes, I believe you should trade Smoltz based on a few of your statements -- "there are no other closers out there to pick up, and no one wants to trade one"

So what's the point in having a closer get you 2-3 saves a week when it's not doing any good? If you could get a good starter for him, I'd say go for it. More K's and more Wins.
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers