Harlod Reynolds...The new Peter Gammons... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Harlod Reynolds...The new Peter Gammons...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Harlod Reynolds...The new Peter Gammons...

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:13 pm

Its amazing how he can make a Little League game seem exciting. I love his attitude and insights. He is by far my favorite baseball personality. Anyone else agree/disagree???
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:15 pm

Wait...so are you saying Peter Gammonds used to be your favorite personality? :-?
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:16 pm

All Little league games are exciting whether u see them live or on TV.... ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby clevername » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:36 pm

Harold Reynolds may be my least favorite sports "personality" ever.

I can't watch BT when he's on. He drives me nuts.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:58 pm

I read something in the paper today that wasn't too nice about him.

Apparently, a Cardinal was rumored to have tested positive. Reynolds then called the player's cell phone during a game and left a message saying that if the player didn't call him back, the network (ESPN) would assume rumor to be true.

It was in the Star Ledger. They specified that this is "word going around" so it could be false, but this doesn't speak well of him as a responsible part of the media.

I do like his commentary in general though, but I haven't heard him enough to know for sure.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Little League is the greatest

They should sign a contract with ESPN for all season lol
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:45 pm

While talking about Little League, how the hell can these 11 and 12 year old kids throw 75+!!!!! 8-o
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:04 pm

I hate Little League on ESPN or nationally televised. It's so annoying seeing these 12 year old kids think they're pro players and like argue calls and spit all the time, loaded with wristbands and sunglasses and stuff. It's kind of funny in a way seeing them try and act cool, but it's just not my cup of tea. I have to admit that 12 year old kid who threw something like 18 strikeouts (isn't that every batter?) in that one game was awesome... The kid had a friggin' goatee also. By the way, I heard Danny Almonte is playing high school ball in Florida right now, if anyone's interested. :-D
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:16 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:I hate Little League on ESPN or nationally televised. It's so annoying seeing these 12 year old kids think they're pro players and like argue calls and spit all the time, loaded with wristbands and sunglasses and stuff. It's kind of funny in a way seeing them try and act cool, but it's just not my cup of tea. I have to admit that 12 year old kid who threw something like 18 strikeouts (isn't that every batter?) in that one game was awesome... The kid had a friggin' goatee also. By the way, I heard Danny Almonte is playing high school ball in Florida right now, if anyone's interested. :-D

I'm certainly on board with you on this one. And as much as I am a Baseball America diehard, the idea of them rating 12 year olds is scary.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:48 pm

One of the problems with Little League is that the reason a kid can dominate at that level is just because he's developed faster than other boys his age. So you end up with these mammoth 12-year-olds who need to shave, and who look like they're 18, and they blow fastballs past "normal" 12 year-olds. A few years down the road, the other kids catch up and the Little League phenom is just another player. When I was a kid, I played against the Kirkland Little League World Series Champions (they won in 1982) for the 6 years after their triumph, and their big 12-year-old stud, Cody Webster (also threw 75 MPH at age 12) was a pretty good, but not dominant high school pitcher. He didn't do much of anything in college.

Another problem is the abuse of pitcher's arms that Little League coaches are responsible for. I've seen many good young arms go up in flames from overuse.

As for Harold Reynolds, I'd be surprised if that story turns out to be true. He doesn't seem like a guy who would do that. I met him years ago when I was playing college baseball and he worked out with our team and he was a good guy then and seems to be a good guy now. I don't always agree with what he says on Baseball Tonight, but that story about him doesn't sound like him to me.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers