Red Socks or Pin Stripes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Socks or Pin Stripes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Did you know that he was first drafted by the Mets in the 12th round of the 1981 draft but the Mets in their infinite wisdom didn't sign him?

The Mets did try to sign him but he opted to go to college.

Didn't Prior do that to the Yanks, as well?

Clemens - Boston
Piazza- NYM
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:58 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:What was this thread about again?

Oh yeah. I say none. He gets caught for steroid use and hangs out across the street in a bar with Raffy, Bonds and Rose.

If he doesn't get caught, he goes in as a Yankee.

Did you know that he was first drafted by the Mets in the 12th round of the 1981 draft but the Mets in their infinite wisdom didn't sign him?

Yes, I'm aware.

They also passed on Reggie Jackson in the 1966 draft and instead drafted a complete bust. :-P :-P :-P

Chilcotte! Thanks for reminding me. :*)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:29 am

I read a story awhile back saying he would be going in as a member of the Boston Red Sox.

I'd think this was fairly obvious.

Hopefully, he will go as a Jay, though. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby eftda » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:02 am

mweir145 wrote:I read a story awhile back saying he would be going in as a member of the Boston Red Sox.

I'd think this was fairly obvious.

Hopefully, he will go as a Jay, though. :-b

I was also remembering an article on how the writers had already determined that he was going in as a Red Sox.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:15 am

The writer's don't decide.

Who decides what team logo will be used on induction plaques?

The choice of which team’s logo appears on a player’s plaque is the Museum's decision, though we always consider the wishes of an inductee. As a history museum and as such, it's important that the logo be emblematic of the historical accomplishments of that player's career. A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement, and as such, every team for whom he played is listed on the plaque; however, the logo selection is based on where that player makes his most indelible mark. Visit our Hall of Fame plaque section to see the plaques of your favorite Hall of Fame members.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofer ... q.htm#logo
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:18 am

Amazinz wrote:The writer's don't decide.

Who decides what team logo will be used on induction plaques?

The choice of which team’s logo appears on a player’s plaque is the Museum's decision, though we always consider the wishes of an inductee. As a history museum and as such, it's important that the logo be emblematic of the historical accomplishments of that player's career. A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement, and as such, every team for whom he played is listed on the plaque; however, the logo selection is based on where that player makes his most indelible mark. Visit our Hall of Fame plaque section to see the plaques of your favorite Hall of Fame members.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofer ... q.htm#logo

Thanks ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:32 am

He may not like it but he's going in as a Boston Red Sock. I think this was discussed ad nauseum a couple years ago by the Baseball Tonight guys. They had some pretty convincing arguments about why he'd go in wearing a Red Sox Hat. I may disagree with them on a lot of things but when it comes to the Hall, I defer to Mr. Gammons.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:55 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:He may not like it but he's going in as a Boston Red Sock. I think this was discussed ad nauseum a couple years ago by the Baseball Tonight guys. They had some pretty convincing arguments about why he'd go in wearing a Red Sox Hat. I may disagree with them on a lot of things but when it comes to the Hall, I defer to Mr. Gammons.

yes, there was an article on this specific subject 3-4 years ago when roger was still with the yankees on espn's website. ok. make that two years ago.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0615/1568234.html

an article which touches upon the subject broadly

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/new ... 255910.htm

the top-line link was the only article (non-discussion thread) that i was able to find quickly, although i do remember reading at the time that the curator at cooperstown was fairly curt in his announcement that the hall decides what hat a player wears. and that the hall based it on with what team the player was most remembered for, with some shadings and insinuation that it was with boston that clemens became "the rocket" and the name that he was. and if roger didn't like it... well... he could name his next kid Kbabe if he liked.

perhaps the analysis becomes more murky as clemens continues to be unhittable and he becomes more known for being a stud over two decades. then the championships he won with the yankees will perhaps stand out more and his early dominance with the red sox less so. i would say that at this point, it would be close enough that clemens' choice may be the determining factor. and if he wants pin stripes, then so be it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:12 am

Matthias wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:He may not like it but he's going in as a Boston Red Sock. I think this was discussed ad nauseum a couple years ago by the Baseball Tonight guys. They had some pretty convincing arguments about why he'd go in wearing a Red Sox Hat. I may disagree with them on a lot of things but when it comes to the Hall, I defer to Mr. Gammons.

yes, there was an article on this specific subject 3-4 years ago when roger was still with the yankees on espn's website. ok. make that two years ago.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0615/1568234.html

an article which touches upon the subject broadly

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/new ... 255910.htm

the top-line link was the only article (non-discussion thread) that i was able to find quickly, although i do remember reading at the time that the curator at cooperstown was fairly curt in his announcement that the hall decides what hat a player wears. and that the hall based it on with what team the player was most remembered for, with some shadings and insinuation that it was with boston that clemens became "the rocket" and the name that he was. and if roger didn't like it... well... he could name his next kid Kbabe if he liked.

perhaps the analysis becomes more murky as clemens continues to be unhittable and he becomes more known for being a stud over two decades. then the championships he won with the yankees will perhaps stand out more and his early dominance with the red sox less so. i would say that at this point, it would be close enough that clemens' choice may be the determining factor. and if he wants pin stripes, then so be it.

Nice find. I could've sworn they did a piece on that. Thanks for reassuring me that I haven't completely lost my mind. ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:41 pm

I don't think either of these questions are real brain busters...

Rocket - Boston
Piazza - New York

Thus proving that the every section of the United States other than the East Coast stinks }:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers