RJ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RJ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RJ

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:09 pm

Is he on for sure against the sox tommorrow, and what kind of an outing could we expect from him? Without Pods to jumpstart them the ChiSox offense doesn't look too intimidating but then again RJ has managed to get rocked but the Devil Rays more than once this year :-/

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:23 pm

Yeah, but the D-Rays OWN the Yankees this year ...
Chisox record makes people forget how they got there, which is their pitching. They are a solid run-producing team, but they aren't a lineup to be feared, particularly without Pods.
As far as I've seen, he's going tomorrow, against Contreras. He seems like as good a start as any.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:25 pm

He's definately pitching.

My prediction: horribly wrong

As for Tampa Bay, his last start, which was against them was a very good start.
Last edited by blankman on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:14 am

Hard to say. For now, I'm starting him assuming Konerko doesn't play. I will probably check before game time tomorrow. If Konerko plays, I'm sitting Big Unit. But I should note that this is for my points league where he'd basically score for IP - R + W - L, instead of 5x5 roto -- so K's don't matter and a loss hurts some and a W isn't *that* big a deal. Also, I don't need this start all that much and can easily treat it as a spot start.

Anyway, while the Chisox are not impressive on offense, especially w/out Big Hurt, Pods and Konerko, they do seem to be much better against LHPs than RHPs as well as at home instead of on the road. And Contreras did great against the Yanks last time while their bullpen is hard to beat in general.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Jury » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:42 pm

I'm gonna start him in H2H, but he likely won't have an impact on this weeks' game so there's nothing on the line. I think he'll do well though.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:46 pm

I'm not starting him in my H2H league, I'll let Hudson command my team this week. I'd start RJ in only roto leagues.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gws226 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:53 pm

Im starting him in 2 leagues. But, if I wasn't comfortably in the lead with ERA/WHIP I probably would bench him and leave the K/W battles to the relievers today.

I don't think he's put together 2 quality starts in a row yet this season...... and his last start was about as close to quality as he has been.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:07 pm

gws226 wrote:Im starting him in 2 leagues. But, if I wasn't comfortably in the lead with ERA/WHIP I probably would bench him and leave the K/W battles to the relievers today.

Hmmm... But his WHIP hasn't been bad though -- nothing special, but not exactly bad. I doubt he'll hurt anyone's WHIP much today, especially against these limping Chisox. Problem w/ him has been the HRs in most cases (especially on the road) and a tendency to give that one big bad inning in some games. But his overall WHIP has been ok though way below par for him.

I don't think he's put together 2 quality starts in a row yet this season...... and his last start was about as close to quality as he has been.

Huh? How do you define quality start? I know people debate about the 3 runs in 6IP definition, but Big Unit did have 2 straight where he allowed <=2 runs just before the most recent 2 bad games. If you go by the loose definition of 3 runs in 6IP, you'll find quite a few times where he strung together 2 or 3 games like that.

Anyway, for me, if he only goes 3 runs in 6IP and gets the loss, that's a bad thing since that's a below average start in my points league.

Well, looks like Konerko's playing, and I've decided to just give Big Unit another try today. Hopefully, Konerko's not quite 100% and won't go yard on RJ.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:47 pm

I go by the 6/3 rule.

hmmmmmm...... I really haven't been watching randy all that close this season. He does a few mixed in there.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Well, dang it! Just when I start to feel ok about starting him, and here we go again. 3 straight HRs to Iguchi, Rowand and then Konerko -- fortunately, all solo shots. And Dye just added a single to boot. :-[
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers