Intelligent Design - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Intelligent Design

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Intelligent Design

Postby da1chipo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:47 pm

I was reading an article about it in Time today, and it was just so dumb. For those of you who don't know, intelligent design is a theory that nature and everything in it was designed by some "intelligent entity" (obviously God, but no one who supports the theory will admit that). The whole premise is that nature and the organisms in it are just way to perfect and complex to have been created by random mutation and evolution, so some "intelligent being" must have helped natural selection along the way.

So anyway, this whole idea just pisses me off. Since a few people refuse to accept evolution because it doesn't make sense to them how something so complex as the human eye, or immune system or anything of a million different parts of nature could be made by chance, they decide, "Well since we can't understand it, it can't be right. So let's fix that and make some crap about divine intervention and all that, so it makes sense to us." There you have it, people, Intelligent Design. I find it so incredible that people reject ideas because they don't understand them.

Now the president and the conservatives want this crap taught in schools. In science classes nonetheless. Let me get this straight. This isn't science. You can't prove or disprove this theory like you can evolution. No experiment can change a view on this topic. This is what you would call "faith-based." This faith-based "science" does not belong in our country's public schools' science classes. Maybe in a few years, you can teach it as history class, just like what people used to believe as science. But definitely not in a science class. You don't still hear in class that the Earth is flat, do you? Leave religion out of science. I hear the Constitution calling...separation of church and state, right? I believe so.

The conservatives pressing for this to be taught just love the term of "intelligent design." They think that by providing an alias for God, that it somehow removes religion from the concept. (Well they probably don't actually think that, but they just say so.)

Anyway, thats my rant...feel free to argue or agree...
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby da1chipo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:51 pm

If you want to read more (if anyone at all is interested... :-o ):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Somehow I feel like this post will be locked in the end... but, isn't God speculation? It's just the same as this Intelligent Design....no one knows about how we were formed so we try to create theories and someday we'll find the ultimate solution......I do agree that this should not be taught in schools, though....It's very similiar to religion and should be learned outside of schools...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Intelligent Design

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

da1chipo wrote:I was reading an article about it in Time today, and it was just so dumb. For those of you who don't know, intelligent design is a theory that nature and everything in it was designed by some "intelligent entity" (obviously God, but no one who supports the theory will admit that). The whole premise is that nature and the organisms in it are just way to perfect and complex to have been created by random mutation and evolution, so some "intelligent being" must have helped natural selection along the way.

So anyway, this whole idea just pisses me off. Since a few people refuse to accept evolution because it doesn't make sense to them how something so complex as the human eye, or immune system or anything of a million different parts of nature could be made by chance, they decide, "Well since we can't understand it, it can't be right. So let's fix that and make some crap about divine intervention and all that, so it makes sense to us." There you have it, people, Intelligent Design. I find it so incredible that people reject ideas because they don't understand them.

Now the president and the conservatives want this crap taught in schools. In science classes nonetheless. Let me get this straight. This isn't science. You can't prove or disprove this theory like you can evolution. No experiment can change a view on this topic. This is what you would call "faith-based." This faith-based "science" does not belong in our country's public schools' science classes. Maybe in a few years, you can teach it as history class, just like what people used to believe as science. But definitely not in a science class. You don't still hear in class that the Earth is flat, do you? Leave religion out of science. I hear the Constitution calling...separation of church and state, right? I believe so.

The conservatives pressing for this to be taught just love the term of "intelligent design." They think that by providing an alias for God, that it somehow removes religion from the concept. (Well they probably don't actually think that, but they just say so.)

I agree with everything that you have said. This has no place in our schools and shouldn't come near a science class. Basic science, you must be able to disprove/prove a theory and there is no way to do that with this. It is concealed religion, and our government and schools shouldn't go near it.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:08 pm

I share much of the same views as those who have already posted. It isn't science, so don't pretend it to be. I don't ask anyone to teach my religion (Unitarianism) in Science class. I've never heard Judaism praised in a classroom. It's ridiculous.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:37 pm

Oh god, evolution vs creationism thread.....

DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! MY HOOKS ARE FLAILING WILDLY.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:47 pm

People who claim to know the truth in this debate are fools, no matter which side they are on.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Intelligent Design

Postby WharfRat » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:12 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
da1chipo wrote:I was reading an article about it in Time today, and it was just so dumb. For those of you who don't know, intelligent design is a theory that nature and everything in it was designed by some "intelligent entity" (obviously God, but no one who supports the theory will admit that). The whole premise is that nature and the organisms in it are just way to perfect and complex to have been created by random mutation and evolution, so some "intelligent being" must have helped natural selection along the way.

I agree with everything that you have said. This has no place in our schools and shouldn't come near a science class. Basic science, you must be able to disprove/prove a theory and there is no way to do that with this. It is concealed religion, and our government and schools shouldn't go near it.

Ditto on that, for the most part. Although ID could also be aliens as well, which is way cooler. ;-D

Having said that, what's the over-under on time it takes for this to get locked?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fireball Express » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:14 pm

New theories are developed because there are flaws in existing ones. If the Theory of Evolution is taught in science class then so should the Theory of Intelligent Design. I think they should be taught side by side. Both are just theories, not laws. It only makes sense to expose students to different theories. It would be close minded not to. If either of these Scientific Theories turns into a Scientific Law, then an alternative should not be part of the curriculum. Fact is that we don't know for sure which, if either, of these theories is correct.
Let's just say the Theory of Intelligent Desin turns out to be in fact correct. Then we would have led generations of students astray by teaching only one theory, in this case the wrong one.

I'm biting my tongue as far as the Left vs Right thing goes. This isn't the place for that.. or spittin' ...or swearin'.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:50 pm

The scientific community is very close-minded. I don't know if Intelligent Design is valid or not but there are some amazing coincidences in nature that lend it some creedence. Evolution is a theory with some serious holes in it, yet it's embraced by the scientific community and accepted by many to be fact. Except that isn't.

Because ID has religious connotations it is very easy to strike out against. For some people it's difficult to even consider. But if evolution can be taught as fact in our schools then children should have their horizons expanded to take into account other theories and viewpoints. That will benefit everyone.

For a long time the vocal scientific community refused to accept any theories that dealt with more than 4 dimensions. To them it was pure hogwash and anything more than the 4 known dimensions was just mystic pseudo-science (pretty much the way they refer to ID currently). Fairly recently String theory expanded into M-Theory with the breakthrough discovery that there were at least 11 dimensions and possibly more.

The morale of the story is that science is often wrong. It's best to keep an open mind and it's best not to indoctrinate our children with any one belief that may turn out to be wrong further down the road.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk