most underrated player ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

most underrated player ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:58 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
The Big Train wrote:I definitely agree with the Lefty Grove argument.

But, I gotta go with Ron Santo on this one. Third baseman are the most under represented group in the HOF and Santo was one of the best. Played in the 60's mostly, a time when offence was depressed (Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA in '68???) and he still hit 342 career home runs. Had an very good OBP (led the league in walks a number of times, a value that doesn't get recognized), a solid glove with 5 straight gold gloves to his credit (defence not recognized by HOF enough either), and he played on a horrible team that was never in a pennant race or World Series. It's true he benefitted from hitting at Wrigley, but Bill James noted that he is sixth in win shares for the 1960s behind only Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Robinson and Killebrew.

Not to mention I've never heard a broadcaster that lives and dies with the team more than Santo. Every time they lose he sounds like someone kicked him in the gut and every time they win you're afraid he's going to fall over dead from sheer joy.

I'm not sure that is such a good thing. Either way Santo should be in HOF.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:14 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
The Big Train wrote:I definitely agree with the Lefty Grove argument.

But, I gotta go with Ron Santo on this one. Third baseman are the most under represented group in the HOF and Santo was one of the best. Played in the 60's mostly, a time when offence was depressed (Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA in '68???) and he still hit 342 career home runs. Had an very good OBP (led the league in walks a number of times, a value that doesn't get recognized), a solid glove with 5 straight gold gloves to his credit (defence not recognized by HOF enough either), and he played on a horrible team that was never in a pennant race or World Series. It's true he benefitted from hitting at Wrigley, but Bill James noted that he is sixth in win shares for the 1960s behind only Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Robinson and Killebrew.

Not to mention I've never heard a broadcaster that lives and dies with the team more than Santo. Every time they lose he sounds like someone kicked him in the gut and every time they win you're afraid he's going to fall over dead from sheer joy.

I'm not sure that is such a good thing. Either way Santo should be in HOF.

It's a good thing...he makes Cubs games worth listening to even when you've already gone into 'there's always next year' mode. And you can tell he feels the same way you do about what's going on out there on the field.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Underrated

Postby Stejay » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:02 am

Hoffman and Everett
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach