Cameron Maybin update, kind of. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Cameron Maybin update, kind of.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cameron Maybin update, kind of.

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:37 pm

ASHEVILLE - The Cincinnati-based attorney representing Cameron Maybin in his contract negotiations with the Detroit Tigers said he believes he made an offer that could finally end the 10-week stalemate between the two sides.

But talks have broken down, with no response from the Tigers in more than a week.

"We proposed a scenario to the Tigers on Monday of last week (Aug. 8) that could get this done quickly and be in the range of both parties' pre-draft expectations," Maybin's adviser, Brian Goldberg, said. "I have yet to hear back from the Tigers."

Goldberg wouldn't elaborate on what he proposed to the Tigers, but one possibility is a Major League Baseball contract, which would also guarantee Maybin a spot on the Tigers' 40-man roster. That would mean a smaller bonus upfront for Maybin, but the money Maybin is seeking would be spread out over his career in the Detroit farm system.

It also means that by the fourth year the Tigers would have to put him on the major league roster whether he's ready or not. If they wouldn't, they'd have to put him through waivers and risk losing him. If that happened, the team that obtained Maybin would pick up his contract and would have to place him on the big-league roster.

Teams tend to shy away from offering high school draft picks an MLB contract because it forces them to use a 40-man spot earlier than they would like.

Detroit selected Maybin, a center fielder from Roberson High School, with the 10th overall pick in June's MLB draft.

Financial figures have been pitched back and forth since then, with the latest negotiations resulting in an offer of $2.75 million from the Tigers, the Detroit Free Press reported earlier this week.

The Free Press also reported that Maybin is seeking a bonus of $4 million, leaving the two sides $1.25 million apart. The Maybin family has referred all questions about the negotiations to Goldberg, who wouldn't comment on the Detroit newspaper's report.

If Maybin and the Tigers agree to a deal in the next three to four weeks, he'll probably be sent to a fall instructional league that runs mid-September through late October.

Tigers scouting director David Chadd said Thursday he doesn't know when the two sides will speak again.

"I'm always optimistic, but time is running out," Chadd said. "As an organization, we're extremely disappointed that (Maybin isn't playing yet)."

Classes begin Monday at Southern University (La.), the college Maybin signed with earlier this year. And the Gulf Coast (Fla.) Tigers, Detroit's rookie league farm team in Lakeland, Fla., ends its season next week.

If Maybin chooses to enroll at Southern next week, he won't be eligible again for the MLB draft until 2008.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 90323/1002
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:36 am

Thanks for the update dude. I wish the Tiges would learn that the minor league system is the way to build a winning team. They could take a step in that direction by signing this guy, a $3.5 or so bonus would likely do the job. That isn't much when you consider they spent$6 mil a year for an aging injury prone RP.

I really worry that the Tigers are still being tight wads in the minors and will never see the necessary stream of talent to replenish the big league club. I mean, mygod, we are awaiting the arrival of Curtis Granderson? Look at the Injuns, they have Peralta, Martinez, Sizemore, Hafner, and so on. There are no better examples of how a minor leagues system can impact the future of teams than Cleveland and Detroit.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:03 am

Don't forget this team is trying to rebuild the minor league system after Randy Smith completely destroyed it. I think major strides have been made since Smith has been gone. The minor league system under Randy Smith was a total debacle. That guy's effects on this franchise still remain to this day, but are becoming less and less with each passing year.

As far as the Maybin negotiations go, I really hope we get this guy soon. It's not too late for him to play fall baseball, and that would help his development. Negotiations have been slow because he has been demanding money that places him outside of the usual "slotting" of draft picks. I think he wants a deal comparable to being one of the top 3 or 4 picks in the draft rather than the spot he was actually drafted in.

We have some very, very nice pitching prospects and some pretty good outfield ones. Infield and catching remains very weak.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:38 am

More Maybin Drama

BY JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The advisor for Tigers first-round draft pick Cameron Maybin said he was told this week that owner Mike Ilitch had pulled the club's contract offer to Maybin when a deal seemed at hand.

Maybin's advisor, Brian Goldberg, said the deal appeared almost done when the Tigers offered a $3-million signing bonus last weekend to Maybin, a high-school centerfielder from North Carolina.

On Monday morning, Goldberg said he spoke on the phone with Tigers attorney John Westhoff. During that call, Goldberg said, Westhoff told him Ilitch wouldn't authorize a deal for $3.2 million -- which Maybin was willing to accept -- or the $2.75 million the Tigers had offered a few weeks previously. The highest Ilitch would go, Goldberg said he was told, was "in the low $2 millions."

Goldberg was so flabbergasted that -- wanting to make sure he'd heard properly -- he had a partner on the phone when he called Westhoff back. He said Westhoff repeated the reduction and Ilitch's role.

"As confused and disappointed as the Maybins are, they are still interested in negotiating a deal," Goldberg said Tuesday night. "But at this point, I wouldn't know who to talk to at the Tigers to get that done. As the attorneys at the Players Association told us Monday, why continue to negotiate with people who don't have the authority to do so?"

Speaking from his home in Cincinnati, Goldberg emphasized that "we don't lose sight of the fact that we are talking about a lot of money here. Also, there are legitimate reasons why Cameron's value is considerably higher than Major League Baseball's recommended slotted figure, which even the Tigers have acknowledged from predraft to present."

A signing bonus of $3.2 million would noticeably exceed MLB's recommended bonus for the 10th overall pick, which Maybin was. Goldberg gave three reasons Maybin's bonus would well exceed the recommend value.

"One is that he has been rated the third talent in the draft from all major baseball publications," Goldberg said. "Second, all teams with the second through ninth picks selected college players, many of whom had predraft understandings with their teams. Thirdly, Cameron's ability to play college basketball would be compensated for him to forego that."

In pondering what he was told about Ilitch's role in the reduction of the offer, Goldberg said, "My initial reaction was that this was a classic bait-and-switch."

Then, Goldberg said, he realized that "it appears the owner did not just pull the rug out from under us, but also pulled it out from under his own people."

Maybin has until shortly before next June's draft to sign with the Tigers. The only way he'll lose his right to sign with them before then is if he attends a class at Southern University, where he has accepted a baseball scholarship
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:14 pm

Thanks for the Dannomyte update. ;-D

I hope this is just a tough negotiating ploy by the Tigers. But it has to work. If they lose this kid for the want to $200 thou it would set them back. Worse yet, in my mind, it would signal once again that the Tigers have no clue how to build a sound organization.

They all talked about how they are compareable to the Indians and that they want to win like Minnesota and Oakland. They are either deciving themselves or their fans. There actions indicate that they have no interest in building a healthy farm system that is the heart of every winning club.
They would rather spend big money on older past their prime vets than spend the money needed to have a nucleus of budding major league players in the minors. This had better work Illitch, or any dream you have of living long enough to see the Tigers win are pip dreams.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:27 am

moochman wrote:Thanks for the Dannomyte update. ;-D

I hope this is just a tough negotiating ploy by the Tigers. But it has to work. If they lose this kid for the want to $200 thou it would set them back. Worse yet, in my mind, it would signal once again that the Tigers have no clue how to build a sound organization.

They all talked about how they are compareable to the Indians and that they want to win like Minnesota and Oakland. They are either deciving themselves or their fans. There actions indicate that they have no interest in building a healthy farm system that is the heart of every winning club.
They would rather spend big money on older past their prime vets than spend the money needed to have a nucleus of budding major league players in the minors. This had better work Illitch, or any dream you have of living long enough to see the Tigers win are pip dreams.
I'm going to have to disagree with you in a big way on this one and say if the report is true, that the Tigers are doing the right thing. Maybin and/or his agent are being WAY too greedy.

To put it in perspective, they want more money than the #4 overall pick Ryan Zimmerman, a polished college player who very well could be up and helping Washington before the end of August. They also want more money than#3 overall pick, Jeff Clement, a college catcher who very well could be Seattle's starting catcher by midseason 2006 at the earliest. The Tigers' offer is more than fair as it was well above what either the #5 and #6 picks are getting. His agent's reasonings for why he is worth so much is pure BS.

There's still plenty of time. It's unrealistic to expect that Maybin will come to his senses like Verlander did last year, but it's still far from hopeless.

Even without Maybin, this was a very good draft by the Tigers. Jeff Larish, Kevin Whelan, Clete Thomas, PJ Finigan, Kevin Ardoin, Matt Joyce, Michael Hollimon, Willie Rhymes, etc. all look good in the early going. I believe we've seen the deepest Tigers' draft in a long time. It's an impressive draft considering Maybin has yet to sign and there was no second round pick (due to Percival's signing). Keep your eye on Jeff Larish, especially. He could move fast, and could be Dmitri Young's replacement by 2007.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 am

I'll have to remain skeptical of the Tigers drafting and developing of players until I see some of them make it to the bigs, and I mean as very good prospects. Not the Tweeners we have been subjected to.

I do hope that Chadd (?) will turn around the system. Did he make many changes in the scouting staff? If not, then we are screwed.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:14 pm

A new Maybin article.

ASHEVILLE — An automobile carrying Cameron Maybin and his family to a junior college in northern Florida turned around Monday before reaching its destination.

After 11 weeks of contract negotiations with the Detroit Tigers, Maybin thought he had a deal offering a $3.25 million signing bonus, allowing his professional baseball career to begin.

But events over the last three days had Maybin completing the trip to Lake City Community College (Fla.) on Thursday in preparation for classes Monday if a deal can’t be reached this weekend.

Maybin and his family toured the campus and met with Lake City coach Tom Clark, who gave the Maybins a Sunday deadline for making a decision on this semester.

If Maybin attends class Monday, the former Roberson High outfielder will postpone contract negotiations until next spring and put his future with the Tigers in jeopardy.

“Cameron is enrolled and has a class schedule,” Clark said. “We’re just waiting now to see what happens.

“Without a doubt, we’re tickled a guy of his caliber is here on our campus. But until he walks inside a classroom, it’s more hope than anything.”

Negotiations between Maybin and the Tigers took a sour turn Monday evening after the Maybins canceled their first trip to Lake City, which is 50 miles west of Jacksonsville. According to a report in Wednesday’s Detroit Free Press, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch pulled the $3.25 million offer to Maybin, the 10th overall pick in June’s Major League Baseball draft.

The newspaper said Ilitch would only offer Maybin a bonus “in the low $2 millions,” which is on par for where he was selected.

Maybin could decide to wait until the second semester to begin classes at Lake City, which would give him more time to work out a deal with the Tigers.

Tigers scouting director David Chadd wouldn’t comment Thursday on negotiations. Maybin did not return calls, and his adviser, Cincinnati-based attorney Brian Goldberg, said he tried to resume negotiations Thursday but didn’t know when the two sides would speak again.

Former MLB pitcher Darren Holmes spent some time with Maybin on Wednesday.

“Cam is just at a point where he wants to play,” said Holmes, who works with the pitchers at Roberson. “A lot of people are getting the wrong impression that he’s money-hungry, but this is a process he has to go through due to where he was selected. He has to stand firm.”

Lake City plays a 20-game fall schedule starting Sept. 17 and a 56-game spring schedule that ends April 21.

If Maybin starts classes at Lake City, he can communicate with Tigers’ scouts but cannot negotiate a contract until Lake City completes its season. The Tigers hold his rights until just before next June’s draft. If Maybin isn’t signed by then, he will be eligible for the 2006 draft and available to all major league teams.

“Monday when the Tigers called, I thought there was no way we were going to get Cameron,” said Clark, who had nine players drafted in June. “But I’m pretty confident this time. You never know what will happen, but I’m pretty confident that he’ll use the scholarship we have for him. He has the chance to come here and show people how he can perform.”

Lake City isn’t the first college program to obtain Maybin’s services. He signed earlier this year with Division I Southern (La.), but Maybin would have forfeited his draft eligibility until 2008 if he took a class there. Southern coach Roger Cador said three junior colleges contacted him this summer to inquire about Maybin, but refused to comment further.

Longtime Roberson coach Tom Smith has been following the negotiations in the media but hasn’t been involved in them.

“Everyone at Roberson wishes Cam the best,” Smith said. “Everyone hopes things work out for him. By taking this step, he can still be a Tiger. We’ll see what happens.”

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 25049/1001
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:21 am

Nice update again Dannomyte. Let me add one too, this one courtesy of well-known Tigers insider Danny Knobler:

Dombrowski breaks off negotiations with Maybin
Saturday, August 27, 2005
By Danny Knobler
BOSTON _ After an unusual week in the negotiations between the Detroit Tigers and their top draft pick, the Tigers made an unusual announcement Friday. While the Tigers would still like to sign outfielder Cameron Maybin, general manager Dave Dombrowski said, they have broken off talks with the Maybin family and agent Brian Goldberg.

"We would still love to sign him," Dombrowski said. "As of (Thursday), we're not having ongoing conversations."

Dombrowski described the state of the talks as "gridlock," and said that's why he took this latest step. But he was also responding to public accusations Goldberg made this week claiming that a near-deal between the Tigers and Maybin was scuttled at the last minute by owner Mike Ilitch.

"That never happened," Dombrowski said. "I was never in a position where I thought I had something I could recommend (to Ilitch)."

Dombrowski refused to get more specific about the negotiations, but it's believed there is nearly a $1 million gap between what the Maybins want and what the Tigers are willing to offer. While Maybin and his representative have repeatedly told the team he wants more than $3 million, the Tigers haven't been willing to offer much more than the $2 million a 10th overall pick would normally receive.

Maybin has enrolled at Lake City CC in Florida, but has yet to attend a class. Dombrowski said he was told Maybin is considering three options: attending Lake City, attending a different junior college or not going to school at all.

In any of those three scenarios, the Tigers would retain the right to sign Maybin until one week before the June 2006 draft. Because of that, and because the Tigers remain interested ("We love the player," Dombrowski said), there's a real chance that negotiations could be restarted at some point.

In fact, it's tempting to compare what happened Friday to what the Tigers did last October, when they publicly pulled their offer from first-round draft pick Justin Verlander. A week later, Verlander signed with the Tigers.

But Verlander signed for exactly what the Tigers had originally offered, something Maybin seems unlikely to do. Also, Verlander had been kept in the dark about the Tiger offers, while the Tigers have spoken directly to the Maybin family.

Dombrowski, who hadn't been personally involved in the negotiations before this week, spoke on Thursday with both Goldberg and Rudy Maybin, Cameron's father. He described the conversation with Maybin as "very nice," and said that Rudy Maybin told him that his son wants to play for the Tigers.

"We just didn't come to a dollar agreement," Dombrowski said. "We wish it would have happened."
Let's hope this guy gets signed. He should be the cornerstone of what was almost no doubt the Tigers' most talent deep drafts in a long time.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm

I hope they get him signed. If he is as talented as they say, he should be a Sept call up by 2007. ;-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers