3 Lions Save, Protect Kidnapped 12-Year Old - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

3 Lions Save, Protect Kidnapped 12-Year Old

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stevethumb » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:36 pm

i guess it is the skeptic in me who says, "i don't believe it"... and the amateur animal behaviorist explanations are comical....let's see, trained tiger attacks siegfried&roy guy...yesterday "domesticated" tiger kills teen in a photo shoot and you believe 3 wild lions turn into "superheroes" .. i don't think so
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:46 pm

Yea that girl got killed by a tiger..which makes me think that she was really dumb for hanging out with a tiger
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:12 pm

stevethumb wrote:i guess it is the skeptic in me who says, "i don't believe it"... and the amateur animal behaviorist explanations are comical....let's see, trained tiger attacks siegfried&roy guy...yesterday "domesticated" tiger kills teen in a photo shoot and you believe 3 wild lions turn into "superheroes" .. i don't think so

I was kinda thinking this as well. Check out a different take on the story, taken from a South African news service.

Agence France-Press wrote:Addis Ababa - Ethiopia was abuzz on Wednesday over reports that a small pride of lions rescued a 12-year-old girl from pursuers intending to force her into marriage, but wildlife experts scoffed at the accounts.

In a country recently embroiled in deadly post-election violence, the story of big cats saving a vulnerable maiden from unsavoury captors resonated throughout the capital and other cities where residents spoke excitedly of "miracles" and "divine intervention."

Experts expressed extreme doubts about the report which was first carried by the official Ethiopian News Agency (ENA) on Tuesday and then picked up by state-run media, saying it was most likely too good to be true.

In fact, they said, far from displaying highly unusual empathy with a human being, the lions were almost certainly preparing to eat or attack the girl when they were surprised by police searching for the missing youngster.

According to a police officer cited by ENA, who repeated a similar account to AFP on Wednesday, the three lions chased away seven men who had abducted and beaten up the 12-year-old in an attempt to force her into an arranged marriage.

They then stood guard over the traumatised, sobbing girl before disappearing into the bush when police and family members arrived on the scene in the remote region of Bita Genet about 400km southwest of Addis Ababa.

Bita Genet police Sergeant Wondimu Wedajo said it appeared the lions had been attracted by the girl's screams and taken pity on her.

He called the incident "a miracle" and described the behaviour of the cats "something unbelievable."

Unfortunately for those enamoured by the tale, the latter opinion was shared by a decidedly sceptical animal expert and seasoned hunter who placed little credence in lions' supposed altruism.

Colonel Lemma Legesse, a professional big game hunter with experience in Bita Genet, said the lions, having chased off the larger humans, were likely getting ready to devour the helpless girl like other prey when they were interrupted by intruders.

"They were probably preparing to eat her but were intercepted by the police and the others," he said, noting that lion attacks on humans and farm animals have become increasingly frequent in the region.

"They have been attacking children and small animals like goats, so unless this was truly a miracle, it was merely a coincidence or luck," Lemma told AFP.

Ketma Amberber, the head of the Zoological and Natural History museum at Addis Ababa University, echoed that sentiment but offered an alternative theory.

"This was pure luck, it was not a question of guarding the girl or keeping her safe," he said. "Either the lions had already eaten and were full or the police arrived as they were deciding whether to eat her or attack.

"Otherwise, as they are wild naturally, it is more likely they would have killed the girl," Ketma said.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Agence France-Press wrote:"They have been attacking children and small animals like goats, so unless this was truly a miracle, it was merely a coincidence or luck," Lemma told AFP.

Coincidence... luck... divine intervention.

They can be three sides of the same triangle.

Not saying you're wrong, but you can't tell me I'm not, either.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:00 pm

How did the lions know that whoever came for her later wasn't going to harm her??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby JTWood » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:How did the lions know that whoever came for her later wasn't going to harm her??

I think a better version of that same question might be, "Why were the lions not scared by 7 men acting in a violent manner, but scared of "police and relatives" who, by the accounts above, didn't even fire a gun at them?"
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:13 pm

JTWood wrote:
Agence France-Press wrote:"They have been attacking children and small animals like goats, so unless this was truly a miracle, it was merely a coincidence or luck," Lemma told AFP.

Those are completely different things. One suggests an intelligent higher power. The other two are products of random chance and the human mind's tendency to seek out patterns, even when there are none.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:57 pm

stevethumb wrote:i guess it is the skeptic in me who says, "i don't believe it"... and the amateur animal behaviorist explanations are comical....let's see, trained tiger attacks siegfried&roy guy...yesterday "domesticated" tiger kills teen in a photo shoot and you believe 3 wild lions turn into "superheroes" .. i don't think so

Umm, two gay guys make you jump through flaming hoops and be in magic tricks? If I were a tiger, I'd maul them too.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:16 am

WharfRat wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Those are completely different things. One suggests an intelligent higher power. The other two are products of random chance and the human mind's tendency to seek out patterns, even when there are none.

My point was that they could be synonymous for all we know. How do you know that coincidence wasn't luck? Why can't luck be divine intervention? What one perceives as divine intervention might just be coincidence.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Spiegs1106 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:50 pm

That story made my day...thanx ;-D
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous