Puff Puff Catch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Puff Puff Catch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:12 am

Madison wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Anyway, I agree with you that it is not the smartest thing to do, but I think it is good for the big picture. Moss is a great player, and he's now playing on a team that will most likely not punish him for smoking or talking about it, so I'm glad he is willing to be honest and maybe this will lead to some of the stigma surrounding weed to be re-examined. I don't even smoke weed, but I fully support people who do.

Yep, stars and role models coming out and saying that they willingly and knowingly break the law is good for this country. ;-7

(this smiley--> ;-7 is the sarcastic one, by the way)

Some laws aren't good for this country.

There's a distinction to be made between illegal and immoral, and there is a reason that laws are subject to change. Laws and the people who make them (not to mention enforce them) are fallible. Take a look at how many laws that were once considered moral and important are now considered quaint and ridiculous.

Your personal feelings on marijuana are legit, and I'm not trying to invalidate that...but I don't think it's right to project them onto others (and by "your personal feelings..." I don't necessarily mean YOUR'S...I mean everyone's).
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:00 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Anyway, I agree with you that it is not the smartest thing to do, but I think it is good for the big picture. Moss is a great player, and he's now playing on a team that will most likely not punish him for smoking or talking about it, so I'm glad he is willing to be honest and maybe this will lead to some of the stigma surrounding weed to be re-examined. I don't even smoke weed, but I fully support people who do.

Yep, stars and role models coming out and saying that they willingly and knowingly break the law is good for this country. ;-7

(this smiley--> ;-7 is the sarcastic one, by the way)

Some laws aren't good for this country.

There's a distinction to be made between illegal and immoral, and there is a reason that laws are subject to change. Laws and the people who make them (not to mention enforce them) are fallible. Take a look at how many laws that were once considered moral and important are now considered quaint and ridiculous.

Your personal feelings on marijuana are legit, and I'm not trying to invalidate that...but I don't think it's right to project them onto others (and by "your personal feelings..." I don't necessarily mean YOUR'S...I mean everyone's).

Whether the law is right or wrong, good or bad is immaterial. The fact remains that there is a law and he is breaking it. Anyone that doesn't want to abide by the laws of this country is free to go to Europe. I have heard great things about Amsterdam. ;-)

Another example of someone that has no problem exploiting America for financial means but wants to ignore other things.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Whether the law is right or wrong, good or bad is immaterial. The fact remains that there is a law and he is breaking it. Anyone that doesn't want to abide by the laws of this country is free to go to Europe.

Whether a law is right or wrong is immaterial? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Damn that Harriet Tubman, what was she thinking breaking the law to free slaves from bondage...stealing the property of those slave owners was illegal, so it had to have been wrong too. And Rosa Parks, didn't she know it was against the law not to give her seat up to a white person? Why didn't she just go to Europe if she can't respect the laws of this country. And the colonists during the revolution were breaking the law by refusing to follow the devine laws set down by their king...what a bunch of trouble makers.

And yes, I just compared Randy Moss smoking weed to America's founders and leaders of the abolitionist and civil rights movement, which, on the surface, looks really stupid. But I'm talking about the principle, not the individual action. Civil disobedience has a long and storied history not only in this country but world wide.

As I stated before, if someone is personally against marijuana and thinks less of Randy Moss because he smokes weed that is understandable and fine with me, but to say "it's against the law, and therefor it is wrong" holds absolutely no weight with me. We all break the law on a weekly, if not daily, basis (most of us anyway).
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:59 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Whether the law is right or wrong, good or bad is immaterial. The fact remains that there is a law and he is breaking it. Anyone that doesn't want to abide by the laws of this country is free to go to Europe.

Whether a law is right or wrong is immaterial? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Damn that Harriet Tubman, what was she thinking breaking the law to free slaves from bondage...stealing the property of those slave owners was illegal, so it had to have been wrong too. And Rosa Parks, didn't she know it was against the law not to give her seat up to a white person? Why didn't she just go to Europe if she can't respect the laws of this country. And the colonists during the revolution were breaking the law by refusing to follow the devine laws set down by their king...what a bunch of trouble makers.

And yes, I just compared Randy Moss smoking weed to America's founders and leaders of the abolitionist and civil rights movement, which, on the surface, looks really stupid. But I'm talking about the principle, not the individual action. Civil disobedience has a long and storied history not only in this country but world wide.

As I stated before, if someone is personally against marijuana and thinks less of Randy Moss because he smokes weed that is understandable and fine with me, but to say "it's against the law, and therefor it is wrong" holds absolutely no weight with me. We all break the law on a weekly, if not daily, basis (most of us anyway).

Even though you acknowledged the comparison, you call me rediculous for my statement and then compare smoking pot to the unfortunate plight of a race many years ago?? I am simply saying that marijuana use is illegal in this country. I am sure that the government would love to legalize it so that they can tax the hell out of it. For some reason, they haven't but you seem to be above that. Again, there is no comparison between someone that is a role model for some ( :-o ) coming out and admitting to smoking weed and someone protesting a wrong being done to them. There is no wrong being done to Moss. I should also add that much of the terrible things done to African Americans years ago weren't done because of laws. They were done because of bigotry.

Your last statement is also pretty far out there. Just because some of us break laws daily, weekly, etc. doesn't make it right. That's like speeding every day and then complaining when you get caught. Makes no sense. I reiterate that I don't agree with all of the laws of this country but I have a choice. I can stay here and respect them or I can go somewhere else where the laws are much more relaxed. It's really simple.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:15 pm

Lofunzo -
We obviously disagree, and there is not point in sitting here arguing the same points over and over on the internet, but I do have one question. In your last paragraph you said "just because some of us break laws daily, weekly, etc..." so I'm assuming by that that you are a part of the "us" that occasionally breaks the law. So how come the laws you choose to break (be they speeding, jaywalking...whatever) are acceptable to break, but the law Randy Moss chooses to break should make him move out of the country?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:20 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Lofunzo -
We obviously disagree, and there is not point in sitting here arguing the same points over and over on the internet, but I do have one question. In your last paragraph you said "just because some of us break laws daily, weekly, etc..." so I'm assuming by that that you are a part of the "us" that occasionally breaks the law. So how come the laws you choose to break (be they speeding, jaywalking...whatever) are acceptable to break, but the law Randy Moss chooses to break should make him move out of the country?

I'm not saying that it is O.K. for me to break certain laws. All that I am saying is that if I get caught, I should face the consequences, no matter how stupid I feel that the law is.
Lofunzo

Previous

Return to General Talk