Movie Theater Disgrace - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Movie Theater Disgrace

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Movie Theater Disgrace

Postby RugbyD » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:00 pm

Would you kick this kid out of the theater?

Disabled 7-year-old ejected from theater

By Dave Richardson
Times Herald-Record
mailto:drichardson@th-record.com

Town of Wallkill – If you're a 7-year-old kid with cerebral palsy and autism, you have to take your laughs anywhere you can get them.
Just don't have too much fun at the local movie theater, or you might get thrown out.
That's what happened to young Anthony Pratti this week. To say his parents are upset about it would be an understatement.
Anthony, who uses a wheelchair, was with his parents, his sister and his grandmother at the Loews Cineplex theaters in the Galleria at Crystal Run Sunday, watching a 1:15 p.m. matinee of the G-rated film "March of the Penguins."
The family sat in the wheelchair section provided by the theater. Anthony was having a good time, said his mom, Gina Pratti.
"He was laughing, but he really wasn't much louder than any of the other kids," she said.
About 15 minutes into the film, one of the theater's managers approached the family, she said.
"He said our son was laughing too loud," Pratti said. "My husband told him Anthony didn't understand, that he was disabled, but that we'd try to quiet him down."
Not good enough, apparently – the manager brusquely told the family that Anthony had to leave, Pratti said.
Outraged, the family followed the manager to the lobby, where they were told they all didn't have to leave – just Anthony, Pratti said.
Pratti was dumbfounded.
"I said to him, what are we supposed to do, wheel him outside and leave him there?" she said.
The manager refunded the family's ticket purchase and sent them on their way, she said.
Pratti and her husband have spent the past three days making phone calls and sending e-mails, trying to get someone – anyone – from Loews to give them an explanation.
"Not one person from Loews has called me back," Pratti said.
When contacted by the Times Herald-Record yesterday, a representative of Loews corporate headquarters said the company is concerned by Pratti's story, and is looking into Sunday's events.
The company says it will issue a statement today.
Pratti has spoken with attorneys about the incident, but isn't sure she wants to pursue any legal action.
Meanwhile, Pratti says she hopes Loews will do whatever it takes to make amends.
"This was only the third movie Anthony had ever seen, and now we're afraid to go back because they might throw us out again," Pratti said.
Explanations aside, Pratti has a simple message for the manager she says publicly humiliated her son:
"Shame on you."

:-P :-/
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:05 pm

Disgusting. To think that you can laugh too loud at waddling penguins on snow is ridiculous. But there is one thing in there that I do agree with.

If I worked for that company, I wouldn't return those phone calls either. You couldn't pay me enough to walk into that sandstorm.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:15 pm

Yeah, that's trouble for the theater. If that woman raises enough holy stink she's sure to get herself and her kid a nice cash settlement.

Poor kid. As if things weren't bad enough for him without the added humiliation of being asked to leave for enjoying a movie "too loudly".

(Mom's kind of a fox though) B-)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:19 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:(Mom's kind of a fox though) B-)

lol... You're awful.

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:21 pm

Mom's word vs. the theater as to how loud the kid was. I've seen them remove people for being too loud at the movies.

Tough spot to be in, but we'll have to see what the "official" announcement is. If someone finds it, post it! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby warrick95 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:27 pm

I understand of asking somebody to leave after repeated warnings of volume (with or without a disability), but just giving him one chance? That seems rather hasty.

And how many people are at the 1:15 matinee of March of the Penguins? Exactly. Seems like one of those people who's trying to do his job too much...or one of those people who just enjoys exercising his stupid power.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:36 pm

Madison wrote:Mom's word vs. the theater as to how loud the kid was. I've seen them remove people for being too loud at the movies.

Tough spot to be in, but we'll have to see what the "official" announcement is. If someone finds it, post it! ;-D

you don't seriously think an establishment would post a sign saying "no loud retards allowed" do you? that seems to be the only out you're giving them.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:38 pm

:-t
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:44 pm

RugbyD wrote: "no loud retards allowed"

I dont know why that's so funny :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:48 pm

Rirruto wrote:
RugbyD wrote: "no loud retards allowed"

I dont know why that's so funny :-D

Because it means you can get in if your loud or if you're retarded, but not both. That's too much.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk