Playstation 2 Problem! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Playstation 2 Problem!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pablo975 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:52 am

Beware the long haired girls. Seriously.

My PS2 (old style) was on the fritz a few months back and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Now, I'm no electronics guy, but I can handle basic stuff, so I disassembled it a bit to adjust the laser as many online guides tell you how to do.

My friggin motor (the part that spins the disc) was wrapped in long brown hairs.....just like my wifes! (cue the DUM DUM DUMMMM sound efx) She sheds like a sheepdog.

After carefully slicing the band o hair off with an exacto knife, I put everything back together and it's worked fine ever since.

I assume that my wifes hair was sucked into the unit via the fan or somesuch. You might also want to try using a can of compressed air on the inside of the unit and rubbing alcohol and a Qtip on the laser.
That's all a CD cleaner is anyway. Good luck dude.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 am

However old the PS2 is, that's how old mine is save for a couple months. I had a similar problem and I just let the thing take a rest for a week or 2 and then started loading games vertically (with the PS2 standing up) instead of laying flat and it worked like new. My PS2 survived being the community PS2 in my fraternity basement for 3 years. What a horse ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:26 am

I cleaned out my PS2 a week ago with this guide:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

It was basically opening it up, cleaning the dust out, and playing around with the lens height. It's working fine now. My PS2 is 5 years old, probably the 1st generation that came out.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 am

I had to clean out my PS2 twice, once it worked fine afterwards...the other time it died completely and won't even power up. :-b

On the plus side, I'm batting .500.

If you've already opened it up, you won't be able to send it in to Sony, so you might as well take Pablo's recommendation and get a qtip and clean the laser.

When mine died I figured it more cost effective to just switch to PC games, which is what I've done and I have no regrets about that. The graphics are actually better, to be honest. You don't need the newest and best computer, as long as you have a good video card you'll be fine.

Good luck with it, just be careful.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:33 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:However old the PS2 is, that's how old mine is save for a couple months. I had a similar problem and I just let the thing take a rest for a week or 2 and then started loading games vertically (with the PS2 standing up) instead of laying flat and it worked like new. My PS2 survived being the community PS2 in my fraternity basement for 3 years. What a horse ;-D

This sounds like my PS2...just gave it a rest, flipped it over, and it started to work. It helped that my friend had worked in gamestop for a few years and helped me tinker without even opening it.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:35 am

pokerplaya wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:However old the PS2 is, that's how old mine is save for a couple months. I had a similar problem and I just let the thing take a rest for a week or 2 and then started loading games vertically (with the PS2 standing up) instead of laying flat and it worked like new. My PS2 survived being the community PS2 in my fraternity basement for 3 years. What a horse ;-D

This sounds like my PS2...just gave it a rest, flipped it over, and it started to work. It helped that my friend had worked in gamestop for a few years and helped me tinker without even opening it.

Oh...and sorry, I don't remember exactly what he did. My advice, head to a game store (or just look it up online and see what they say). Many a person has had this problem.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:41 am

Uggh, sounds like you've got the permanent disc read error, son. Sony may be able to fix it for you, but you cracked it open, and I believe that voids the warranty. You may need to buy a new one because Sony won't fix it for you :-/ .
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk