How To Use 2 Routers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How To Use 2 Routers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How To Use 2 Routers?

Postby Rirruto » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:28 pm

Here is my setup, my ISP is Verizon DSL and they have provided a modem/router. This router is in my sister's room. Her PC is hardlined to it while my dad's laptop connects to it wirelessly in the next room. My room is in the basement and the wireless connection is not very good so I just ran a very long cable from her room to mine so I am connected that way. Now, I have a Linksys router lying around that I brought home from school and I am trying to figure out how to use it in my room while the other router in my sister's room works the way it is currently working right now. I'd like the Linksys to work so I can choose to connect wirelessly to it if I wanted and also to connect my Playstation2 which has a network adapter.

I've already tried putting the long ethernet cable into the Linksys Internet port and then using another cable connected from Ethernet Port 1 to my laptop but I am unable to get an Internet connection. I also disabled DHCP on the Linksys and changed the Linksys' IP address so it doesn't get mixed up with the router in my sister's room. What could I be doing wrong?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:38 pm

I'm no expert, but we unplugged the main computer (the one the cable modem went into) for a week to build cabinets into the wall. My sister was on a laptop and just sent the router up to cable modem no hard connection to any computer and it worked.

SO I am thinking you could find another cable chord thats coming from a wall towards the middle of all 3 computers wanting to connect and then just do wireless for all 3. If you don't have a chord in the middle somewhere then I would call your provider and have them install in in a middle point. You will have to pay, but if you want it that bad it may be worth it to you, I dunno.

I can be totally wrong though.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:13 am

The best (easiest) way would be to run the router through the modem and have all three comps hooked through the router. I am assuming the modem has a built in router (or you're using a hub?) since both your Dad and Sister connect to the modem? If this is the case then they are connecting to through LAN ports, in which case you daisy-chain the second router by plugging it into a LAN port (just like you would a comp) and then run additional comps through the secondary router.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:13 am

Amazinz wrote:in which case you daisy-chain the second router by plugging it into a LAN port (just like you would a comp) and then run additional comps through the secondary router.

That is what I intend on doing, but I cannot get a connection when connected to the Linksys (the 2nd router)
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:42 am

It would help if we knew what specific routers you have. But off the top of my head I have a few ideas:

1) Make sure the main router's firewall is turned off.
2) Make sure the main router's MAC Filter is turned off.
3) If you log in to the second router's setup (it will have to be up and running on its own first) then you may be able to find some sort of option that says, "Routing: On/Off". This depends on the model you have...but basically you want to turn the routing function off on the 2nd router, because it's not really routing anything. Turning the routing function off will turn it in to a "switch", which is what you want. You can buy switches, but most routers can be switches (some do it automatically without changing any settings - but yours may not be like that).

Try steps one and two first, then try step three if it's still not working.

And this is kind of a dumb question but I want to ask it to make sure: When you hook the two together, you are going from an outgoing port on the main router, to the incoming port on the other router, right?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:49 am

slomo007 wrote:It would help if we knew what specific routers you have. But off the top of my head I have a few ideas:

1) Make sure the main router's firewall is turned off.
2) Make sure the main router's MAC Filter is turned off.
3) If you log in to the second router's setup (it will have to be up and running on its own first) then you may be able to find some sort of option that says, "Routing: On/Off". This depends on the model you have...but basically you want to turn the routing function off on the 2nd router, because it's not really routing anything. Turning the routing function off will turn it in to a "switch", which is what you want. You can buy switches, but most routers can be switches (some do it automatically without changing any settings - but yours may not be like that).

Try steps one and two first, then try step three if it's still not working.

And this is kind of a dumb question but I want to ask it to make sure: When you hook the two together, you are going from an outgoing port on the main router, to the incoming port on the other router, right?

I have links in my original post in the 1st and 5th sentences if you would like to see what routers I have. And yes, I am going from an outgoing port on the main router to the incoming port on the 2nd router. But interestingly, I just ended a Live Chat with Linksys support and the CSR told me to take the cable from the original router and put it into an available Ethernet port, instead of putting it into the incoming port. Doesn't make sense in my head but I'll try it when I get home from work today.

Also, I was looking on my router's page to see where I can disable routing but can't seem to find it. Either way, I'll try what Linksys support advised.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:56 am

Interesting rr, let me know if what they suggested works. I never would have thought that. I've never tried what you're doing before, but I've heard of it being done and those were the steps I thought would help.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:58 am

slomo007 wrote:Interesting rr, let me know if what they suggested works. I never would have thought that. I've never tried what you're doing before, but I've heard of it being done and those were the steps I thought would help.

Yeah my thought process was the same as yours and it's been a frustrating couple of days so I will try anything at this point. It doesn't make sense to me why this new way would work but I've got nothing to lose.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:08 am

This is what I would do....

A: Post on a hardware/software forum. There are tons out there and those people are genious's

Boot down all your computers in the house. Boot down your wireless modem/router and boot down the router in your room.

Boot up your modem/router then your router then your computers.

YOu may have to pin reset the routers.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:49 am

You run it through the ethernet connection (LAN) port because you're basically using the router as a hub which treats it as part of the connecting computer instead of a seperate entity. I'm not even sure if there would be a benefit to having two operating routers on a single connection.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk