jeff francoeur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

jeff francoeur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:33 pm

DCNats wrote:
Copperheads wrote:I like him except for the fact that he does not know what a walk is and walks are a category in my roto league. I picked him up off the waiver wire when he first came up and just last week was able to trade him and F.Hernandez for C.Lee and D.Hermanson.

That's a terrible deal for you, IMO.

Of course Francoeur isn't going to keep this pace up. If he did, he would be the best player outside of Bonds in recent memory. No chance of that, but he is arguably the top prospect (Marte may be a better all around player) in a Braves system loaded with good prospects.

I think he's something special, so if you have him in a keeper wait out the inevitable cold streak and expect solid numbers out of this young OF.

seems like a good trade to me. it's not like he said it was a keeper league, and i doubt felix finishes this season with a less than 1.00 ERA.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:18 pm

Just occurred to me that Francoeur can probably be compared to Raul Mondesi also -- besides Soriano and possibly Vlad. Certainly seems to follow a similar mold so far unless he really does go the rest of the year w/out a single BB while still hitting a bunch of HRs. :D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Nerfherders » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:58 pm

Guerrero is who I most closely associate with Francouer to this point. He hits the ball hard to all fields, can hit a ball hard out of the strike zone no matter where it is. I have seen him hit a home run off his shoe tops, bloop singles on balls in on his hands, and absoultely mash anything in the strike zone. Why walk when you can hit a ball for a double? In another forum I argued that Francouer will win ROY if he does something close to 40-15-50-.320 for the season. He's also one short of the league lead in OF assists in only 30 games. He's truly gifted and while he is playing over his head, I don't think it's as far over as many here would like to think. This guy is for real.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:16 pm

Yoda wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:What's not to like about Francoeur, except for the lack of walks? He has very, very good power, pretty good speed, and seems to be able to hit balls very well out of the strike zone that many other players couldn't touch. And has anyone seen what a cannon for an arm he has in the outfield? He already has what, 9 or 10 outfield assists in less than 30 games? He's going to be one of those outfielders that shuts down opponents from getting that extra base on base hits and sacrifice flies, not that that directly helps anyone in fantasy baseball. Being that the Braves are my second favorite team, I've been watching a lot of him on TBS and he is very impressive.

How about complete lack of walks? 20/0 K/BB does not bode well for his future. Enjoy the ride but he will almost definitely crash before the season is over.
There's no guarantee that he will totally crash. While I'm not totally confident that he will retain a .300+ BA, I do think he will remain productive all year. Opponents already know what this guy's plate discipline is and try as they might, they still can't quite get him out regularly. If I had not seen him play and was relying purely on statistical analysis, I would agree that this guy is definitely due for a big crash, but until pitchers are willing to throw this guy nothing but balls that are about a foot out of the strike zone, he will hit the ball hard.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EnFuego » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:53 pm

Just when I say his hot streak is over...he homers and triples... :-D
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:33 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:
Yoda wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:What's not to like about Francoeur, except for the lack of walks? He has very, very good power, pretty good speed, and seems to be able to hit balls very well out of the strike zone that many other players couldn't touch. And has anyone seen what a cannon for an arm he has in the outfield? He already has what, 9 or 10 outfield assists in less than 30 games? He's going to be one of those outfielders that shuts down opponents from getting that extra base on base hits and sacrifice flies, not that that directly helps anyone in fantasy baseball. Being that the Braves are my second favorite team, I've been watching a lot of him on TBS and he is very impressive.

How about complete lack of walks? 20/0 K/BB does not bode well for his future. Enjoy the ride but he will almost definitely crash before the season is over.
There's no guarantee that he will totally crash. While I'm not totally confident that he will retain a .300+ BA, I do think he will remain productive all year. Opponents already know what this guy's plate discipline is and try as they might, they still can't quite get him out regularly. If I had not seen him play and was relying purely on statistical analysis, I would agree that this guy is definitely due for a big crash, but until pitchers are willing to throw this guy nothing but balls that are about a foot out of the strike zone, he will hit the ball hard.

We shall see. Something's gotta give. Either he will need to be more selective to keep this up or pitchers won't throw him anything good for him to hit. The fact that he has ZERO walks in 30 games tells me that he will crash sooner than later.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sultans of Squat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:42 pm

Well, actually, he did have a mini-crash there for 4-5 games. But while I too never believed he'd keep up the ridiculous pace he was on, he does seem to be an exceptionally good talent doing extraordinary things so far.

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can pull up a couple other past young stud prospects for better comparison, but so far, I don't know of any that quite compares to Francoeur in his rookie run. I don't know of anybody this good going w/out a single BB for so long. Soriano's the only one I can think of, but he wasn't nearly this hot w/ the bat in the first month of his official rookie year -- and not even close in his original debut period. Also, Soriano was much older in his rookie year at the official age of 25.

So maybe Francoeur is unique enough to be that one great young phenom to be the exception to the rule even when we account for guys like Soriano, Vlad, Cabrera, Mondesi, et al.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Danimal » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:56 pm

I grabbed him quickly in my NL-only league and he's put padding in my first- place lead.

;-D ;-D ;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:01 pm

I just managed to deal Francoeur/Felix for Andruw Jones in a keeper. I know I'm King's biggest supporter, but I'll take a young proven monster hitter over a 19 year old guy whose stock may never be higher.

I'd be playing Francoeur in just about any league format until he cools off, at the very least. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:14 pm

Sultans of Squat wrote:Well, actually, he did have a mini-crash there for 4-5 games. But while I too never believed he'd keep up the ridiculous pace he was on, he does seem to be an exceptionally good talent doing extraordinary things so far.

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can pull up a couple other past young stud prospects for better comparison, but so far, I don't know of any that quite compares to Francoeur in his rookie run. I don't know of anybody this good going w/out a single BB for so long. Soriano's the only one I can think of, but he wasn't nearly this hot w/ the bat in the first month of his official rookie year -- and not even close in his original debut period. Also, Soriano was much older in his rookie year at the official age of 25.

So maybe Francoeur is unique enough to be that one great young phenom to be the exception to the rule even when we account for guys like Soriano, Vlad, Cabrera, Mondesi, et al.

It's only 30 games. I'm sure it's happened before. Again, I think he will be a pretty good player but the hitting will slow down dramatically (esp AVG) unless he is more selective at the plate.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers