Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one do you think is the best?

Playstation 2
50%
XBox
23%
Gamecube
12%
Seriously wait for the next generation of consoles and pay the $400, you cheap little monkey
15%

Total votes : 26

PS 2, XBox, Gamecube?

Postby WharfRat » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:55 pm

I'm considering picking up a game console sometime soon. I don't really plan on waiting for PS3 or Nintendo Revolution or whatever, since they'll probably be more than I really want to pay for a video game console, so I'll probably pick up one of the ones that are currently out. For the gamers: Which do you think is the best console? Both in terms of performance and available games? I was planning on going with a PS2, but I've never really played XBox or especially Gamecube that much and I don't know if I'm missing anything.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm

I'd take a look at the games for each system and see what you want. I have a GC but I couldn't live without MarioKart. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby Rirruto » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:02 pm

I have been a faithful owner of PS2 since it's release in 2000 and my system still works pretty well, never had to replace it. I am very happy overall with it and there are plenty of games out for it. My aunt recently gave me and my sister an Xbox and I have to be honest, it looks and runs better than the PS2. The games load up faster but I've noticed there aren't as many xbox games available at Blockbuster compared to PS2. Also, I like that Internet gaming is free on PS2, while you have to pay for Xbox Live.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby eftda » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:15 pm

Gamecube -> great for kids or 'old school gamers'
xbox: Shooters/sports
PS2:GTA/sports

What kind of games are you looking to get? You into Star Wars? Shooters? The classics (Mario/Zelda), Madden? Do you want o play online? Pay of online? Do you want to wait for the xbox 360?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:25 pm

Agree with eftdas take for each console. Gamecube is more for like kids and the people that like those old school games like Mario. I don't particularly like XBox's sports games but its the best console for 1st person shooters like Halo and Half Life. PS2 is the best for sports games/racing games/And since its the best for playing GTA it obviously gets bonus points there. ;-D :-D

Unless your getting a 1st person shooter Id recommend PS2, been a proud owner of one for 4 years. ;-D
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:25 pm

I voted wait for the new ones, having no idea when theyre coming out...

but I have xbox and love it, I prefer the bigger controllers to the ps2 tiny controllers and i think the graphics are better, plus you dont have to buy memory cards you can just save to the system
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:31 pm

I have the PS2 and the XBOX and I spend alot more time playing PS2. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby WharfRat » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:45 pm

eftda wrote:Gamecube -> great for kids or 'old school gamers'
xbox: Shooters/sports
PS2:GTA/sports

What kind of games are you looking to get? You into Star Wars? Shooters? The classics (Mario/Zelda), Madden? Do you want o play online? Pay of online? Do you want to wait for the xbox 360?

I could live without the online stuff, I guess sports and shooters would be my preference. I'd definitely get Madden and whatever MLB game is the best, and I definitely dig shooters like Halo, Half-Life, SW Battlefront, etc. I also could easily see myself getting into the Tom Clancy games or Socom, or other Syphon Filter/Tenchu-style games. RPGs are good too.

Question: Do they make the Metroid Prime and Zelda games for Gamecube only, or are they also available for other systems?

It sounds I should be thinking about an XBox from what you guys are saying. Thanks guys, your perspectives have helped me out. Keep 'em coming. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby eftda » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:00 pm

Zelda/mario/ Metroid Prime are Nintendo only. :,-(

a used Xbox runs about $80-100 last I checked. I'm not sure about the PS2. I would try http://www.ebgames.com for pricing.

As for online gaming, PS2 is free while xbox live is $50 for a year. I've been told the xbox live is less laggy, but since i've never played ps2 online I can't say which is better.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:06 pm

I like the Xbox better. I have XBox live and I dont ever use it. I like to whoop the computers ass. We have a long going rivalry.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk