Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby Box » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:36 pm

ironman wrote:Yes gas prices are rising, and yes it sucks. But please, PLEASE stop telling us what other items cost per gallon as some weird attempt to be funny/make it seem like its not that bad.

The other night our local news had a list of items and what their per gallon cost is. They had Ny-Quil on there for $185/gallon. Wow, so the next time I'm being raped at the pump I can think, "Well at least I don't have one of those cars that run on Ny-Quil." ARRRGGGHH! Its just asinine! When am I gonna need a gallon of Ny-Quil? Stop comparing gas with items that we will NEVER consume by the gallon!

I beg of you news people, stop it! STOP IT! :-[

I dont know about the rest of you bakers out there, but the $570/gallon I'm paying for vanilla extract has got to stop. When will the government get it? No more War for Vanilla!!
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby WharfRat » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:21 pm

Box wrote:
ironman wrote:Yes gas prices are rising, and yes it sucks. But please, PLEASE stop telling us what other items cost per gallon as some weird attempt to be funny/make it seem like its not that bad.

The other night our local news had a list of items and what their per gallon cost is. They had Ny-Quil on there for $185/gallon. Wow, so the next time I'm being raped at the pump I can think, "Well at least I don't have one of those cars that run on Ny-Quil." ARRRGGGHH! Its just asinine! When am I gonna need a gallon of Ny-Quil? Stop comparing gas with items that we will NEVER consume by the gallon!

I beg of you news people, stop it! STOP IT! :-[

I dont know about the rest of you bakers out there, but the $570/gallon I'm paying for vanilla extract has got to stop. When will the government get it? No more War for Vanilla!!

I hear you man. My jheri curl is costing me a fortune these days. :-/
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Half Massed » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:56 pm

The sad thing is, gas (petrol) is still cheaper here than in pretty much all of the rest of the world. I don't care what excuses oil companies and such might have for the high prices, I don't see it coming down either. In response, I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say: I'm getting a bike... :-°
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:23 pm

Half Massed wrote:The sad thing is, gas (petrol) is still cheaper here than in pretty much all of the rest of the world. I don't care what excuses oil companies and such might have for the high prices, I don't see it coming down either. In response, I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say: I'm getting a bike... :-°

I agree. I very much doubt they are coming down again.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:48 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
acsguitar wrote:My montero can hold 20

Phew, God bless you. When I was borrowing my folks' Explorer to move my futniture, etc. from my home to my apartment in Albany, I was throwing $55+ into that beast filling up. I'd rather eat a bullet.

You mentioned earlier you were in Westchester County, NY. That's where I'm from, where exactly were you buying gas because around me when I went home it was about 2.75-2.79 a gallon.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:50 pm

Madison wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Here's a hint: if you are going to be worried about gas prices, DONT BUY A FREAKING SUV.

It's not the SUV owners that are complaining. It's the normal people. Think of it this way, most economy cars have around a 13 gallon tank, so when they fill up, it takes 12 gallons.

Ok, 12 gallons X $2.75 per gallon (average of the prices I've seen) equals $33 to fill up. Now note that someone working for minimum wage would have to work 7 hours to clear enough to fill up their car. 7 hours is about 17% of their weekly pay.

That's a good chunk just to get a tank of gas every week. Those are the people who should be complaining, and I'd venture to say that quite a few complaints are from our younger members who don't pull down huge salaries and/or drive SUV's. ;-)

I'd say I fit perfectly into this category Mad. A college student paying off his tuition loans, who had to take a job at a small radio station to broadcast football, basketball, and soccer and make almost no money, and who it took an hour to get to work. From Philly to south Jersey I was practically spending more than I made. That's definitely why I turned to poker.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:02 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:I was in California a few weeks ago and I saw gas at over 3 dollars around there. Holy crap this is insane.

Where in CA? A couple of weeks ago it was around $2.50 and just within the past week has it got around $3.00.

It's getting out of control. I remember when gas was $1.00 a gallon and it took like 10 years to get to $2.00 a gallon and you're telling me it only took a couple of year for it to get from $2.00 to $3.00? I don't care what people say, but I don't believe for a second that we aren't being ripped off.

Yeah, in NorCal/Bay Area, gas hits $3 a gallon and usually hovers in the 2.85-2.95 range

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:The high gas prices do suck, but it's got to get worse before it gets better. I would really like to see gas hit $4 or $5 per gallon.

Nice to see you again Art :-) .

Question though, why would you want to see gas hit $5 per gallon? :-?

If gas gets that high, I can guarantee the crime rate will go through the roof. The vast majority of Americans cannot afford that price. Business will suffer from losing workers (who can't afford to drive to work---ironic, huh?), product in stores will cost more due to the additional costs of trucking it to it's destination, along with less workers producing the product, and it just keeps rolling downhill. $5 per gallon for gas would kill this country. I don't see any way that it wouldn't. :-?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter though. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:58 pm

Madison wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:The high gas prices do suck, but it's got to get worse before it gets better. I would really like to see gas hit $4 or $5 per gallon.

Nice to see you again Art :-) .

Question though, why would you want to see gas hit $5 per gallon? :-?

This thread is full of people complaining about how much they are spending on gas, but there have only been a few people who mentioned anything like getting a bike. As I said before, it has to get worse before it gets better. If gas were $4 or $5 a gallon, instead of people griping about how much they are spending people would be saying "gas is so expensive I have been riding my bike to work." "it's so expensive i joined a car pool." "it's so expensive the next car i buy will be a hybrid." and hopefully, if enough of the population is pissed off that they have to drastically alter their daily activities (like going to work, school, etc) by fiding a way other than driving their own car to get there (bike, walk, car pool, bus, etc.) then some real change can be enacted.

People complaining about the cost of gas wont force car companies to build more efficient cars and it wont force energy companies to come up with alternate forms or energy. People not buying gas will. And I do not think we will get to that point unless gas gets into the $4 - $5 range.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:07 am

Art Vandelay wrote:This thread is full of people complaining about how much they are spending on gas, but there have only been a few people who mentioned anything like getting a bike. As I said before, it has to get worse before it gets better. If gas were $4 or $5 a gallon, instead of people griping about how much they are spending people would be saying "gas is so expensive I have been riding my bike to work." "it's so expensive i joined a car pool." "it's so expensive the next car i buy will be a hybrid." and hopefully, if enough of the population is pissed off that they have to drastically alter their daily activities (like going to work, school, etc) by fiding a way other than driving their own car to get there (bike, walk, car pool, bus, etc.) then some real change can be enacted.

People complaining about the cost of gas wont force car companies to build more efficient cars and it wont force energy companies to come up with alternate forms or energy. People not buying gas will. And I do not think we will get to that point unless gas gets into the $4 - $5 range.

Nice post and I agree. ;-D

I do believe change is coming though. The hybrid cars sell down here and you do see them on the road. I figured I'd give them a couple of years to work out the kinks (I do that with any new line of cars), and then take a serious look at them. Both my cars get over 30 miles per gallon, stay tuned up, and run correctly (they better, one is new and the other is pretty close to new), so it's not like I own 3 Hummers or anything. :-D

I do believe the hybrids will be the car of the future though. Sales should go up for them every year from here forward. The commercials down here are really pushing the mileage they get, and they are selling.

Anyway, glad to hear the reasoning behind the gas prices. Can't say I agree that I want gas to get that high since I think the country will adapt before it reaches that point, but I do agree that we need to start adapting now. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk