Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby ironman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:10 am

Yes gas prices are rising, and yes it sucks. But please, PLEASE stop telling us what other items cost per gallon as some weird attempt to be funny/make it seem like its not that bad.

The other night our local news had a list of items and what their per gallon cost is. They had Ny-Quil on there for $185/gallon. Wow, so the next time I'm being raped at the pump I can think, "Well at least I don't have one of those cars that run on Ny-Quil." ARRRGGGHH! Its just asinine! When am I gonna need a gallon of Ny-Quil? Stop comparing gas with items that we will NEVER consume by the gallon!

I beg of you news people, stop it! STOP IT! :-[
Last edited by ironman on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 4901
(Past Year: 97)
Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dubuque

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:15 am

Lol Nyquil ran cars :-b
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:16 am

Agreed. They do that crap down here too. :-/

Oh, and gas (high grade) went from $2.55 up to $2.86 in the last 4 days down here! 8-o

I'm sick of this! :-[
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:18 am

ironman wrote:Yes gas prices are rising, and yes it sucks. But please, PLEASE stop telling us what other items cost per gallon as some weird attempt to be funny/make it seem like its not that bad.

The other night our local news had a list of items and what their per gallon cost is. They had Ny-Quil on there for $185/gallon. Wow, so the next time I'm being raped at the pump I can think, "Well at least I don't have one of those cars that run on Ny-Quil." ARRRGGGHH! <img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif> Its just asinine! When am I gonna need a gallon of Ny-Quil? Stop comparing gas with items that we will NEVER consume by the gallon!

I beg of you news people, stop it! STOP IT!


I can't think of anything else that I consume by the gallon. Maybe water :-?

What exactly should we compare it to?

btw - I'm not unhappy about the price of gas. There's nothing that pisses me off more than these jerks driving around, by themselves, in a Hummer or Yukon. If you don't care about how wasteful you are being then I hope that you have to pay $100 for a tank of gas and the tank only lasts 2 days.

But that's just me.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19542
(Past Year: 281)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:21 am

I was in California a few weeks ago and I saw gas at over 3 dollars around there. Holy crap this is insane.
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby Phatferd » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:27 am

Red Stripe wrote:I was in California a few weeks ago and I saw gas at over 3 dollars around there. Holy crap this is insane.



Where in CA? A couple of weeks ago it was around $2.50 and just within the past week has it got around $3.00.

It's getting out of control. I remember when gas was $1.00 a gallon and it took like 10 years to get to $2.00 a gallon and you're telling me it only took a couple of year for it to get from $2.00 to $3.00? I don't care what people say, but I don't believe for a second that we aren't being ripped off.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Re: Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:28 am

Mookie4ever wrote:btw - I'm not unhappy about the price of gas. There's nothing that pisses me off more than these jerks driving around, by themselves, in a Hummer or Yukon. If you don't care about how wasteful you are being then I hope that you have to pay $100 for a tank of gas and the tank only lasts 2 days.


Well I am unhappy about the crazy prices. Both of my cars get over 30 miles to the gallon, yet I have to fill up at least every 3 days. I've seen my monthly gas budget double from around $240 a month, to well over $400 per month, within the last year (more like the last 6-8 months). That stinks big time!

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[


Curious, can anyone actually provide solid reasoning as to why gas prices are so high?

I know Iraq is a mess and supply isn't as much as it used to be, but there is not this big of a shortage.

Personally, I think it's just the gas companies sticking it to all the big SUV owners that only get 10 miles to the gallon. Even knowing that ahead of time, SUV's are still flying off sales lots, so the gas companies are cashing in on it, and unfortunately sticking it to everyone in the process.

Then again, I haven't studied this as much as I probably should, so if anyone can explain it and have it actually make sense, I wouldn't mind reading it at all. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby AT » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:32 am

I just started car-pooling with this kid from work because of the gas prices. Sounds like a good move right?

He knows absolutely nothing about sports. And I mean nothing. :-t
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Re: Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby WharfRat » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:35 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
ironman wrote:Yes gas prices are rising, and yes it sucks. But please, PLEASE stop telling us what other items cost per gallon as some weird attempt to be funny/make it seem like its not that bad.

The other night our local news had a list of items and what their per gallon cost is. They had Ny-Quil on there for $185/gallon. Wow, so the next time I'm being raped at the pump I can think, "Well at least I don't have one of those cars that run on Ny-Quil." ARRRGGGHH! <img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif> Its just asinine! When am I gonna need a gallon of Ny-Quil? Stop comparing gas with items that we will NEVER consume by the gallon!

I beg of you news people, stop it! STOP IT!


I can't think of anything else that I consume by the gallon. Maybe water :-?

What exactly should we compare it to?

btw - I'm not unhappy about the price of gas. There's nothing that pisses me off more than these jerks driving around, by themselves, in a Hummer or Yukon. If you don't care about how wasteful you are being then I hope that you have to pay $100 for a tank of gas and the tank only lasts 2 days.

But that's just me.


Well said. ;-D Hopefully these rising oil prices will drive up the market for more fuel-efficient cars.

Despite the fuel-consciousness that people are hopefully developing, this is kind've a sham anyway. In REAL DOLLARS (adjusted for inflation) gas prices have been relatively steady for the past 50 years, and still way cheaper in the States than in Europe. Peep this, it's pretty surprising in some ways:

Image
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Re: Price per Gallon comparisons (STOP IT!)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:36 am

Madison wrote:Curious, can anyone actually provide solid reasoning as to why gas prices are so high?

I know Iraq is a mess and supply isn't as much as it used to be, but there is not this big of a shortage.

Personally, I think it's just the gas companies sticking it to all the big SUV owners that only get 10 miles to the gallon. Even knowing that ahead of time, SUV's are still flying off sales lots, so the gas companies are cashing in on it, and unfortunately sticking it to everyone in the process.

Then again, I haven't studied this as much as I probably should, so if anyone can explain it and have it actually make sense, I wouldn't mind reading it at all. :-)


The high gas prices are actually a good sign, believe it or not.

Unlike the last time that gas prices went through the roof, it's not b/c of a gas shortage, it's b/c the world economies are so good they are consuming so much. The refineries cannot keep up with demand. Supply will eventually run out - it is a non-renewable resource after all but the planet will probably die before the supply runs out.

Sorry to hear about your gas costs Mad. :-/
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19542
(Past Year: 281)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: felixbo16, jasonjt60, paulaqc4 and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact