The Yankees are going to the Playoffs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

The Yankees are going to the Playoffs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Yankees are going to the Playoffs

Postby nsulham » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:32 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:As far as I'm concerned I'm one of the more realistic Yankee fans here with a pretty fair outlook on baseball and I do a good job of making tepid predictions and claims when it comes to the Yankees. However,

They're going to the Playoffs.

3 @ TB
3 @ CWS (Without Podsednik, their MVP if you ask me, and nothing to play for)
4 vs TOR
3 vs KC
4 @ SEA
3 @ OAK :-o
3 vs TB (Healing after the west coast swing)
3 vs BOS :-o
3 @ TB
3 @ TOR
4 vs BAL
3 vs TOR
4 @ BAL
3 @ BOS

That's 12 left against KC and TB, 8 vs BAL, 10 vs TOR for those of you scoring at home that's 22 of their final 46 games.

I'm not saying it's 100% but it's lookin' pretty good right now.

So I guess what I'm saying is, the Yanks are 100% going to the playoffs.

There. I said it.

So the Yankees are going to the playoffs. Ok, cool.

Then the question becomes, since the Yanks are on the outside looking in as of right now, who are they bumping out? :-?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:45 am

nsulham wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:As far as I'm concerned I'm one of the more realistic Yankee fans here with a pretty fair outlook on baseball and I do a good job of making tepid predictions and claims when it comes to the Yankees. However,

3 @ TB
4 vs TOR
3 vs KC
4 @ SEA
3 @ TB
3 @ TOR
4 vs BAL
3 vs TOR
4 @ BAL
3 @ BOS

That's 12 left against KC and TB, 8 vs BAL, 10 vs TOR for those of you scoring at home that's 22 of their final 46 games.

There. I said it.

Then the question becomes, since the Yanks are on the outside looking in as of right now, who are they bumping out? :-?

Well, I'm not as sold as AT that they make the playoffs, but if they do, it'll be because Anaheim or Oakland gets bounced. The Sox are certainly reachable in the standings, but I don't think they'll be caught. (Although, this statement begs the question - does one spectacular postseason REALLY change the fortunes of a franchise that has 86 years of futility under its belt? ;-) )
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:12 pm

No, I have a better idea.

How about the Jays sweep the Yankees in those 10 games and then make the playoffs? I like that idea. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby da1chipo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:14 pm

WharfRat wrote:
nsulham wrote:

3 @ TB
4 vs TOR
3 vs KC
4 @ SEA
3 @ TB
3 @ TOR
4 vs BAL
3 vs TOR
4 @ BAL
3 @ BOS

There. I said it.

Well, I'm not as sold as AT that they make the playoffs, but if they do, it'll be because Anaheim or Oakland gets bounced. The Sox are certainly reachable in the standings, but I don't think they'll be caught. (Although, this statement begs the question - does one spectacular postseason REALLY change the fortunes of a franchise that has 86 years of futility under its belt? ;-) )

I'd love to say "of course not."
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby Matthias » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:32 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:So I guess what I'm saying is, the Yanks are 100% going to the playoffs.

There. I said it.

thread bookmarked. will bump it at the end of the season regardless of outcome.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gang Green » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:42 pm

If Chacon and Small continue to give the Yanks productive starts at the back of their rotation, they should make the playoffs. I know it's alot more complicated than that but I think the pitching of these two guys will have alot to do with it. Who woulda thunk that at the beginning of the season??? !+) Of course, sending Small to the pen and having Wright take his spot because George paid him alot to pitch here has my stomach in knots. Small may stay in the rotation if Randy's back stays achy. Let the Yankee saga unfold... :-o
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:02 pm

That makes one of us.

I don't believe they will make the playoffs. I don't care who they are facing for the rest of the year, this team can implode against anyone. The pitching is awful and now our best starter is in the bullpen in favor of Jaret Wright.

Oakland and the Angels both have superior pitching and bullpen to the Yankees and the Red Sox aren't going to cough up a 5 game lead, especially the way they're rolling. I just don't see them making it.

And even if they do somehow make it, it won't matter because the team is so poorly structured that they'll probably get swept or beat in 4 games of the ALDS, no matter who they face. They'd be the worst team in the playoffs (AL, we're better than San Diego ;-) ) if in fact they did make it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:51 pm

It certainly seems like Anahiem, Oakland and Boston never lose, but I'm with AT on this one. I think the Yankees will make the playoffs as the wildcard. I think this patchwork staff will pitch better than anyone ever expected or hoped (this statement depends in part on Wright's performance tonight). With the team possibly using its starters to help out the bullpen on their throw days (RJ was the closer for yesterday's game, Chacon threw an inning on his throw day) that could save Rivera and Gordon an inning here and there. Sturtze looks back to how he pitched earlier in the year and F-Rod can at times be servicable :-b. Small would be a phenominal long man, but he should be starting over Leiter. I like what I've seen from Proctor in a mop up role- he should be able to pitch an inning here and there.

Even Bernie is hitting now. 8-o

Womack plays a decent CF; he runs a lot of stuff down, which is all we ask of him.

Alex has rebounded from early struggles in the field and is playing like a GGer; he seems to make a diving play every game. The infield defense doesn't worry me at all; Cano is doing a fine job and Giambi, when he plays 1st is better than anyone expected.

Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodriguez and Hideki Matsui will have to continue to shoulder the weight of the offense with Giambi's help, which I know they can do.

Sierra will be back at some point and he's the best pinch hitter (for Womack when Womack plays CF or when Flaherty catches) this team has. He also is a good DH. Very underrated and very valuable to this team.

Gordon will have to avoid breaking down like last season and starters pitching some innings will help him. Mo, you just let him do his thing and try not to overwork him too bad. He's the surest thing the team has.

Pray that Wang does come back in mid-September as hoped and can throw a couple good games.

Mendoza's return is a slight possibility, which would be nice, but it can't be expected.

With the injuries this team has suffered: Pavano and Brown out for the year, Wang possibly out for the season, Wright was hurt most of the year, Randy missed a few games, Felix missed a lot of time, I don't think anyone could have expected them to be as close as they are to the playoffs. Now that they've sured up the holes in the rotation with Chacon, Leiter and Small I think this staff can now do more than just tread water.

Odd as it is, I'm going to predict if Randy has problems the next outing, he's going to end up in the bullpen where he may be able to be more effective in shorter outings. Small would return to the rotation.

Oakland's pitching and Anahiem's bullpen do scare me and I could very well be wrong, but I'm optomistic about this team and I do think they can and will get it done as long as they can finally beat Tampa Bay :-o

Whatever happens, it promises to be an exciting stretch run and I sure hope they make it. ;-D

*waits for the Yankee haters to dispute every single thing said in the post*

People can throw whatever stats about Small's past or anything, talk about road record, record vs TB or anything else, but it really doesn't matter; all we can do is wait and see; you all can hope they don't make it and I'll hope they do. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:08 pm

Even though I disagree on some counts, nice post Blank.

I do agree with this part though,

Whatever happens, it promises to be an exciting stretch run

;-D ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:10 pm

*bump*