Who should I keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Who should I keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who should I keep?

Postby Danks81 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:32 am

This is the first season that my league has gone to a keeper format. It was decided that we can keep 7 players for next season. 2 of which have to be born in 1980 or younger. My team is in first and has loads of talent, but who should I keep?

8 team 5x5 H2H league

C: Piazza
1b: Lee
2b: Utley
SS: Furcal
3b: ARod
OF: Crawford
OF: Burrell
OF: Griffey
Util: D. Johnson
B: Damon
B: C. Guillen
DL: Bonds
DL: Barmes

SP: Peavy
SP: Clemens
RP: Nathan
RP: Chad Cordero
P: Baez
P: H. Street
P: Zito
B: Burnett
B: Harden
B: Penny

Of the 7 players, a couple are givens: ARod, Derek Lee. But that leaves me 5 with 2 being younger players.

Players I am considering:
Crawford
Utley
Furcal (not likely)

Clemens(too good a year not to consider holding on to)
Peavy
Harden
Zito
Cordero
Burnett
Street
Nathan

Right now I'm inclined to keep the following

ARod
D. Lee
Peavy
Street
Harden
Zito

With the last spot going to either Utley, Crawford, Cordero, or Burnett.

Thoughts?
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rudeswings » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:03 pm

My say is

Rodriguez
Crawford
Utley
Griffey
Barmes
Baez
Burnett

College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby activechamp2006 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:56 pm

rudeswings wrote:My say is

Rodriguez
Crawford
Utley
Griffey
Barmes
Baez
Burnett

It looks like you missed his pitching? where are Harden and Peavy? Hmm? these keepers are no where near close.. here are the sure things..

arod
lee
harden
peavy
crawford
burnett
utley

cant go any other way then that.. the top 6 are guys that HAVE to be kept, theres no going around them.. utley is the only guy that can be swapped..

plz help me man: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=154355
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby prhood » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:26 pm

I probably have them in this order:

ARod
Lee
Peavey
Crawford
Harden
Nathan
Utley
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm

1b: Lee
2b: Utley
3b: ARod
OF: Crawford
SP: Peavy
B: Burnett
B: Harden
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby rudeswings » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:25 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
rudeswings wrote:My say is

Rodriguez
Crawford
Utley
Griffey
Barmes
Baez
Burnett

It looks like you missed his pitching? where are Harden and Peavy? Hmm? these keepers are no where near close.. here are the sure things..

arod
lee
harden
peavy
crawford
burnett
utley

cant go any other way then that.. the top 6 are guys that HAVE to be kept, theres no going around them.. utley is the only guy that can be swapped..

plz help me man: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=154355

Uhhhh Baez IS a pitcher. Even if he is a relief, he's still a pitcher. You're right about Peavy though. I'd bump out Utley for him. Otherwise, I think Lee's gettin' too much hype as a keeper. If anything, Lee may be a keep and sell high candidate, but I honestly don't think Lee's gonna produce the same next season, and I'm a true blue Cubs fan, so there's no need to mention how D. Lee's rockin' my world this year, and I hope in things yet unseen. I also think Barmes is gotta be a keeper for next season. Being on the Rockies aside, the guy's only gonna get better for a little while here, and you might as well ride that. I might be way off on this one, but I just don't think Harden's gonna produce till the second half.

Someone help me:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=154325
rudeswings Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:49 pm

In reality.. The main guys that YOU MUST KEEP.. Don't even think about dealing are

A-rod
Peavy
Harden
Crawford

A-rod is a super star.. Peavy and Harden are VERY young and up n coming aces.. Crawford is also very young, and can hit the long ball and steal bases.. After those 4, I would deal D-Lee, because like the last post I do agree he won't keep this up next season.. Deal him high, and maybe shoot for a player along the lines of a David Ortiz or Tex.. I personaly don't like all the hype on Utley, the guy's not even that young.. He's going on 27 this year.. Baez, wow that is a guy who is barely holding his closing job.. No way this guy even comes close to a keeper..

Overall I say keep the 4 players I mentioned and try to make deals for the other 3, and if it comes down to it at the end then the last 3 should be obvious..

Lee
Burnett
Utley

Ty and can u help me out: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=154355
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ReginaldVelJohnson » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:29 pm

A-Rod
Crawford
Peavy
Nathan
Harden
Lee
Utley
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class... especially since I rule.
ReginaldVelJohnson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:01 pm

Craw, Arod, D. Lee, Bonds, Furcal

Utley, Peavy

Nathan, Cordero and Street are tempting but I could never bring myself to keep a closer with the exception of maybe Mo, Gagne or Krod.

I understand why people would want to keep Burnett and Harden but I favor the bats. Pitchers are too volatile. Peavy to me is a no-brainer because I am confident he will be a stud for a long time to come. Taking Peavy gives you your ace and you can fill out the rest of your rotation in the draft. Both Burnett and Harden have the potential to be studs (and I thought this would be the year for A.J. and really reached for him in drafts but was wrong) but they are not there yet. Harden may experience growing pains next year and there a lot of questions concerning where A.J. ends up in the off-season.

Some may be surprised at Bonds but I really doubt you can draft him outside of the 7th round next year. It's looking like he may play in Sep. and if that's the case then he will be back next year and I don't doubt that he will be the same game-changer he has been in the past. May be a little bit of a gamble but it's one I'd be willing to take due to the upside.

I wouldn't even consider Barmes. I know many will disagree but he has flash in the pain written all over him in my opinion. Zito is another that I would absolutely avoid.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team