yuck...this was a horrible read - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

yuck...this was a horrible read

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

yuck...this was a horrible read

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:40 pm

RaysBaseball wrote:
an examination of what to do with Upton - including the possibility of a shift to the outfield and a trade :

" ... would cause major ripple effects in the organization, and would probably mean having to trade guys like Rocco Baldelli, Joey Gathright (who's probably going to be moved anyway), and Elijah Dukes at discounted rates ...The Rays have their 3 starting OF's for next season in CC, Gomes, and Rocco. He will also be competing with Gathright and Delmon Young for playing time. So if he wants to move there, fine. But he needs to not only show us that Upton is major-league ready, but unlike at SS and 3B, he'll actually need to beat out guys who are also considered linchpins in the organization's future ... if the organization is committed to Rocco Baldelli in centerfield (which it very easily could be) and if the coaches and scouts are telling LaMar that Upton will need several more years before being ready for the majors (meaning he needs to switch to the OF), well then maybe the best thing is to move him to a team that needs a CF (or any outfielder). But mind you, the return would have to be significant to even consider it ... I'd love to forge all of this and simply say he's our starting shortstop next year. But if he wasn't ready this year, there is no reason to believe that he'll be ready next year."

i dont mind waiting a little while longer on upton to become the full time SS,,, but please gomes in RF over delmon next April :-P :-P :-P making me sick just reading this crap.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:45 am

What I don't get is that while I understand the desire for a cheap team to want to save money, this actually will hurt more in the long run. I love DY and the other prospects, but look at ARod - not every top propsect hits the majors and hits from Day 1.

So, say he struggles in 2007, and 2008 he starts to hit a little. But by then, players like Crawford may be too expensive, so instead of having the full team, players will leave/get traded, etc. and the cycle will continue because the team will be waiting for the guys who'll be replacing the Crawfords, etc.

Bring them up. Get them experience in 2005/6. Then, if everyone is as good as advertised, the team may actually be good enough to bring the fans (and therefore more revenue) in 2007 such that they can keep the Crawfords and maybe this run might last for a few years instead of possibly not at all.

God I want a real GM who understands baseball - not just how to scout players.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:29 pm

I hate how they keep on saying that Joey can't play fulltime. Look at the numbers. He's doing fine.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Tampa Bay Rays