Waiver Wire abuse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire abuse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wreves is right.

Postby lifeform » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:41 am

Thanks for summarizing this one so clearly & elequantly, wreves.

I am the commish of a competitive 12-team Yahoo H2H league, and I've read up on the rules on these behaviors. The Yahoo rules are pretty clear on this.

If there are no drop/add limits, there are no drop/add limits. The only litmus test is that each move you make should be for the direct benefit of your own team, not for the detriment of other teams.

Therefore, you may pick up SPs for spot starts, but you may not pick up and drop SPs for the sole purpose of preventing others from picking them up.

If, as commish of a Yahoo league, you don't like these rules, you can change them when you set up your league. You limit the number of drops/adds a team can make over the course of the season, or you only allow weekly changes.
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RiverRat » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:36 am

There is nothing wrong with doing that.
Put an innings or transaction limitation on.

As for the link to Yahoo and their rules...for them to say they will reprimand anyone is just a pile of bull$hit. One manager in one of my leagues quit and put all his players on the bench. People complained and they did nothing. Its free tho.
RiverRat

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Wreves is right.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:05 pm

lifeform wrote:If there are no drop/add limits, there are no drop/add limits. The only litmus test is that each move you make should be for the direct benefit of your own team, not for the detriment of other teams.

Therefore, you may pick up SPs for spot starts, but you may not pick up and drop SPs for the sole purpose of preventing others from picking them up.

Hmmm....let's say going into the end of the week, I'm beating my opponent by 1 win, and 4 k's, and I've got and edge in ERA and WHIP too. Neither of us has any more SP's scheduled to start. Since I know he may go after a couple of SP's to try and beat me in W's and K's, I go ahead and churn the SP's with the best matchups. I've done this solely to prevent him from picking them up, but it's also to the direct benefit of my team. Is that cheating?

It's pretty hard to call anything that's not against the rules, cheating. Everybody know the rules of the leagues they're joining up front. If you don't like them, don't join the league.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:20 pm

I'm in a head to head league with a bunch of buddies....

Regularly, a bunch of us pick up an extra pitcher for a Sunday start to get the extra few Ks (or a W). I don't think that's cheating, nor does the league.

If, however, someone was picking up and dropping players to prevent me from doing so, that's cheating. You may call it a fine line, but there is a line, and a line must be drawn.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers