Waiver Wire abuse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire abuse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:41 am

Yahoo only allows you to pick up and drop the same player twice a day. So you can't wipe out all the upcoming starting pitchers, just 2 of them.

I'm with Madison though. This is the main reason I don't play H2H. Just too abusable.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twinsfan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:01 am

Madison wrote:I'll put one of my teams up against anyone for a week, but if they are going to stoop to picking up every pitcher that pitches each day, that's sad. In my book that's cheating.

Well where do you draw the line? If I pick up 1 pitcher a week that has a favorable matchup and pitch him, hoping for a win and a few extra Ks, is that cheating, or is that good strategy?
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:04 am

You quoted me and still didn't read what I wrote. I said I would put 1 of my teams up against anyone for a week. That means your team cannot change either. Pick a day and a time and let the 2 teams play for 1 week. No adds/drops. My team vs. your team. Not my team vs. your team + free agent pickups.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby twinsfan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:16 am

Not that I'm a huge fan of FA pickups that are used for one day and then discarded, but, if its available, why not take it? We both have the same opportunity to peruse the FA pool, and are both allowed to pick up and drop players. I don't see how its unfair, or cheating, if I choose to use that right, and you choose to waive it.

Call it a difference of opinion, but I don't think that a week long matchup means that the two teams are set in stone for the duration of the week.
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:24 am

Would you cry about it if I churned all the starters for the next day? Probably not, because according to your logic: It's availiable, so why not do it? The person who started this thread was crying because he was cheating by picking up starters and his opponent was cheating by churning them so he couldn't. All I said was that a cheater shouldn't cry when they are out cheated.

Just for the record again. This is why I no longer play head to head.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby twinsfan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:36 am

I still don't understand why you consider picking up a pitcher for a day cheating. As long as you play them, and don't just immediately drop them, its clearly allowed by all the rules set up within Yahoo. Call it cheap, lame, or craptastic, but don't call it cheating.

If you're so upset about this, you can always do a head to head league with either limited transactions or weekly transactions.
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:43 am

I'm not upset in the least. I do like your Avatar (been meaning to tell you that).

Here's what I'm getting at. Let's say I have you beat in K's by 4 and we've both used all our starters. You think it's fair to grab a guy for 1 start to beat me? That's not cheating because Yahoo allows it? If I churn the rosters, is that cheating? Even if Yahoo allows it, is it cheating? I say use every advantage you can get if you want to play head to head. Sign all the pitchers you can and churn the ones you don't sign. Just don't cry about it if someone beats you to it. I've tried to play head to head straight up and I've tried the cheating approach. I didn't like either one of them. That's why I stick to roto.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby twinsfan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:24 am

Thank you for the compliment. I felt like quite the clever bastard when coming up with my name/avatar combo.

As for our waiver wire debate. I feel that its virtually impossible to say whats fair or unfair, but its fairly clear whats abusive and whats constructive. For example: From time to time, pitchers will start twice within one fantasy week. Say we each have 4 pitchers, and one of yours has a 2 start week, while all of mine have 1 start weeks. You're go a big advantage in winning Ks and Ws. Is this due to the fact that youre team is better? No. Also, say your pitchers play against the tigers and padres all week, while mine are up against the Bravos and M's. You'll win more based on the luck of the draw than the talent of your players. This is why head to head leagues don't obey the law of averages, and roto leagues do.

IMO, being able to pick up and drop from the FA pool serves as a mechanism to smooth out imbalances within the week. When abused, I must agree that one person can ruin the experience of the entire league. I will continue to pitch from the FA pool on an as needed basis and not feel bad about it. And I will continue to hate those that pitch as much as possible in a week, and also continue to hate those that churn the pool. I'm out, its bed time and my battery is dying. Nice chatting with you. I'll catch you on the boards sometime.
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:55 am

I don't think anybody is saying picking up a free agent with a 2 start week, or a favorable matchup is anything but sound roster management. It is when an owner repeatedly picks up free agent pitchers on a daily basis, giving himself 5 SP's per day or whatever maximum number he can fit in.

I don't look at concentrating on offense in the draft and piling on free agent pitchers in an attempt to dominate categories on volume instead of quality as anything but exploitation of a flawed system. In H2H you should have limits based on starts. Each guy throws X number of pitchers out there, and see who wins. That is the only format I have participated in for H2H leagues, and it is the only one that makes any kind of sense. Having no inning limits is just stupid. Whatever idiot decided it was a good format needs to banned form fantasy sports management. If everybody was aware this rule could manipulated and people changed their draft strategies accordingly fine, let the entire league abuse the rule equally. You guys can fight each other out for the waiver wire vulture of the year, but I won't give you much credit for 'managing' your roster.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Waiver Wire abuse?

Postby wrveres » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:31 am

Xonagor wrote:I'm in a competitive h2h private yahoo league with my friends, and many of us pick up pitchers off the waiver wire just to get one extra start. Many times pitching matchups are decided by which owner was lucky enough to choose that fifth starter.

Not cheating ... just playing to win .. Hanging around your computer at 4 am kinda sucks though.
Xonagor wrote:To get to the point, my friend has been picking up starters for the next day and immediately dropping them so no one can pick them up until after the waiver deadline.

Cheating. without a doubt..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers