Waiver Wire abuse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire abuse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waiver Wire abuse?

Postby Xonagor » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:39 pm

I'm in a competitive h2h private yahoo league with my friends, and many of us pick up pitchers off the waiver wire just to get one extra start. Many times pitching matchups are decided by which owner was lucky enough to choose that fifth starter.
To get to the point, my friend has been picking up starters for the next day and immediately dropping them so no one can pick them up until after the waiver deadline.
I'm just asking for opinions on what you guys think of this behavior. Personally, I think that he is abusing the system (since he keeps some of the starters on his roster just for that one start), though there is nothing we can do, since he is the commish.
Xonagor
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:47 pm

It depends. What he is doing is considered 'roster churning' which may be against the rules.

If you are in a H2H league with no innings limit, guys will pick up pitchers to use every day and crush their opponents in K's, IP, and W's and whichever other category they are trying to pile on stats for. If that is the type of league you are in, then grabbing and dropping players defensively is definitely a wise move. I would do it to even the score with the inning limit abusers.

Deciding who is abusing what more is a fine line. There is a flaw in not having innings limits in H2H games. Hopefully people will realize this and quit playing in them since nobody is ever happy.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby twinsfan » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:51 pm

Someone in my league was doing the exact same thing. Upon a little investigation, it directly violates the rules listed under Yahoo's Sportsmanship and Fair play section:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/baseball/ ... es-26.html

Once the guy abusing the system was informed he was breaking rules, he promptly apologized, and hasn't done so since.
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 4Pack » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:52 pm

I am also in a H2H Private League and went through the same type of situation last season. It got old real fast! I had a great pitching staff but it did not matter! My opponent would win the "K", "IP", and "W" category every single week while I would usually win the "ERA" and "WHIP" category! I had too win the "save" category if I had any hope of breaking even in the pitching categories. That sucked!

This season we implemented a rule that says each manager is allowed too pick up 2 pitchers a week maximum (barring one of his pitchers going on the DL in which case that manager is allowed an extra pickup). If any manager under any circumstances breaks that rule...he is not allowed too make any transactions of any nature for 2 weeks. A 2nd rule break....he is done making transactions for the season.

Too bad it is your commish making these silly moves! Sure it gives him an edge in the pitching categories....but it takes the fun out of the game when your opponent cannot afford too...or...will not stoop to that kind of play!
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lepke » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:56 pm

That's why you fill your league with people you know/ live close to you.

That way when they do something stupid, you're within driving distance of beating the snot of them. :-D (Or vandalizing their car when they beat you in the Finals... no no I'm not bitter or anything)
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:01 pm

In head-to-head leagues people grab pitchers every day so they can win the wins, k's, innings catagories. Other players sign and drop so their opponents can't do it. To me, both types of behavior is wrong. I've played more than a couple of head to head leagues, and have decided that I'm done with any of them that doesn't have an innings cap. Adding and dropping pitchers to gain k's, w's, and innings drives me nuts. Adding and dropping pitchers (churning), drives me nuts as well. Both types of behavior is not what the system was designed for. To me, both sides are cheating, so please don't whine about it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:25 am

Whether it's fine or not depends on what exactly he's doing. If he is putting pitchers on his roster, using them for one start based on matchups, and then dropping the pitcher later is legitimate IMO unless the league has set rules disallowing it. In h2h leagues, this actually is an intelligent strategy because it lets you spend all your draft picks on offense and still win at least 2 pitching categories. If your league doesn't want this to happen or wants to limit it, they should have agreed on rules at the beginning of the season. One thing that would limit the effectiveness of the dump strategy would be to have weekly instead of daily transactions, or to have move and trade limits. If it's a standard h2h setup, picking up pitchers for matchups is perfectly legit.

On the other hand, if what he's doing is picking up pitchers and immeadiately dropping them to force starters for the next day on waivers so noone can use them for spot starts, I would consider that to be abuse. To prevent that type of behaviour, you'd have to set transaction limits on the season.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lepke » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:33 am

jdh wrote:blah blah blah

You totally contradicted yourself.

It is exactly how the title of the thread describes it -- Abusing the waiver wire, which in my book is cheating.
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:50 am

It depends on how the league is set up. If the setup of the league makes it beneficial to add and drop pitchers based on their matchups (like standard h2h leagues do), and there are no rules set up that disallow that, how is it cheating?

If you're adding and dropping pitchers immeadiately and not using them even once, you have an argument, otherwise it's just an intelligent strategy.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:12 am

Head to head was designed to pit two teams against each other. Part of the game wasn't to drop and start pitchers every day to guarantee the wins, innings, k's, etc. catagories. It also wasn't designed to have a player add and drop every pitcher to avoid that from happening to them. Both sides are cheating, period. I'll put one of my teams up against anyone for a week, but if they are going to stoop to picking up every pitcher that pitches each day, that's sad. In my book that's cheating. Just like if I churn the free agent pool, that's cheating too. I really don't like to hear a cheat (I'm referring to Xonagor) complain when they get out-cheated. A cheater gets out-cheated and complains about it? Gimme a break. That's like a pitcher throwing a spit ball and a guy with a corked bat hits a homer off him and he crys about it. Both guys are cheating, don't cry when you get out-cheated. Try roto ball, it's more fair.

Just for the record. I no longer play head to head leagues because of this specific reason.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers