1994..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:33 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Amazingly, it has also been just over 11 years since the OJ fiasco. :,-(

Thank god he's still looking for the killer on golf courses across america! ;-D

LMAO :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:39 pm

My favorite part:

It’s hard to believe that there was a time when Chuck Knoblauch was considered on track for a possible Hall-of-Fame career. He was the only player to interrupt Roberto Alomar’s run of 10 Gold Gloves at second base.

How was it he never won a Gold Glove in New York? ;-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Yeah, the strike sure bit the big one.

I lived about a mile from The Ballpark In Arlington when the strike happened and I boycotted going to games for two years because of it.

Still watched on television, but they didn't get my sales in the ballpark. :-[
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RyanK » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:40 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Oh yeah, the strike. That's the second thing that popped into my mind. The first was the Rangers...(NY) :-)

I still got the SI cover with damn.. Messier or leetch holding the cup over their head
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:17 pm

Phatferd wrote:ACS I love the new look!!!

BTW, what is the Blue Jays TV contract like. How is their fan support in Toronto. I know they don't come close to selling out, but are they in danger of losing the team?

I just think its really hard to have a team in Canada where the dollar has different value.

The Jays are doing fine. Ted Rogers(really rich guy who owns cable/internet services) bought the team about 5 years ago, and is now making a profit on the team thanks to the lower payroll. Because he is finally making a profit, he will add 30 million to the payroll next year. ;-D

And yes, the TV contract is fine. Just about every game is televised. To estimate I'd say about 150 of them. Rogers puts alot of the games on his own sports channel (Rogers Sportsnet), and many games are on TSN (the Canadian ESPN).

Attendance has risen this year with the success of the team, and the many young players drafted under Ricciardi's reign finally showing up. Things are looking up in Toronto. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Here is a pretty good post made in Leftovers earlier today:

bdrotoronto wrote:Something in the back of my memory struck me as a bit odd with the calendar all week lately, and I think I just figured out what it was.

The last time there was a Friday August 12 was the day the union went on strike in 1994, signalling the end of that season and the longest ever work stoppage in baseball history. I think it is remembered particularly up here because back at the time, the Blue Jays were 2-time defending World Series, and the Expos were 74-40 (6 games ahead of the Braves) and likely going to the World Series. Now of course the Blue Jays have become an average franchise, and the Expos are no more. Lots of folks around here blame the strike for both situations, triggering an angry decline in fan interest that neither team has ever recovered from. :-/ Which is interesting in light of the fact that teams in large markets like NY and Boston have perhaps never been more healthy, in spite of the strike, it all seemed to be quickly forgotten there.

I dunno, that just occurred to me this afternoon that this is the first Friday anniversary of that day, I remember going to a couple of games in '94 the week before the deadline, thinking there was a chance it could be the last we saw of baseball for a while. Sadly, for folks in our city, it turned out even worse, the importance of the Jays in this city, and the passion people used to have for then, has never even been close to the same since that time, and now they're just a mediocre old franchise, not much better than the Argos. :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:58 am

Tavish wrote:My favorite part:

It’s hard to believe that there was a time when Chuck Knoblauch was considered on track for a possible Hall-of-Fame career. He was the only player to interrupt Roberto Alomar’s run of 10 Gold Gloves at second base.

How was it he never won a Gold Glove in New York? ;-)

His glove was fine. It was his arm that sucked.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to General Talk