ROBINSON TEJEDA ;-D
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
KaiserSoze wrote:How am I the only one saying Holliday? The guy is hitting .377 at home, and his next ~10 games are at home....

:-?

I can't speak for the vast majority, but I never, ever pick up a player anticipating that he'll only be useful to me for a week and a half. If I'm picking a guy up, I'm figuring he'll figure into my roster for the remainder of the season, barring extreme circumstances. That said, there isn't a single bat on the Rockies roster I'd like to have on my team right now. In fact, the only player on the entire team I'd want is Brian Fuentes.

Holliday has a nice home BA, but his 7 HR in 44 home games aren't all that spectacular.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:38 pm

Jay Payton and King Felix seem like the best bets right about now. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Update:

Scott Kazmir - If you can afford to take a hit in the WHIP department, this kid can help you out. Seriously. And believe it or not, I've seen him in FA in several leagues I've checked into throughout the year. In the last month, Kazmir has K'd 42 in 38.1 IP, notched 3 Wins, and carried a 2.58 ERA. In H2H his WHIP may be somewhat of a liability, but if you can afford it, reap his benefits in other areas.

Joey Gathright - 22/71 (.310) in the last 30 days, with 6 swipes, 11 Runs and 7 RBI. He's probably the best source for cheap steals in FA (if he's even still there), and now that he appears to be hitting alright, I've considered him a rosterable player in fantasy.

Gary Matthews Jr. - If you're a ride the hot streak kinda guy, then you may want to hop on the train before it derails at some point. 19 R, 7 HR, 22 RBI, and 4 SB while carrying a .342 BA in the last month. What's YOUR last OF done over that span? What do you expect from the rest of the season from him? He's a worthy gamble, if you're even still calling him that.

I'll update every so often, with my opinions, if this thread keeps kicking.

;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Some deeper sleeper pitchers:

Noah Lowry
Padilla
E.Santana
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Oliver Perez » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:36 pm

This thread is amazing.

I'll update myself:

From Yahoo! fantasy expert Matt Romig:

Attention fantasy owners: Ryan Howard can hit. As of press time Monday morning, Howard remained available in more than 60 percent of Yahoo! leagues. This after a week that brought two more homers, including a grand slam, along with news that Jim Thome would undergo season-ending surgery. In a what-are-you-waiting-for gesture, Howard went out and drove in three runs with four hits over the weekend. Still, only a few takers have emerged. With all due respect to Dan Johnson and Tony Clark, Howard is the most valuable free agent out there at his position.

Howard has six homers, 19 RBIs and a .308 average in 24 home games this season. Now would be a good time to enlist his services, as the Phillies begin a seven-game homestead Monday against the Nationals. If he holds to form, that availability percentage will shrink by the day. Remember, this is a guy who has 24 homers and 74 RBIs between Triple-A and the majors this year. He hit 48 bombs at three levels a year ago.

And of course, the source:
The Skinny: Ryan's hope

I'll also add the fact that i dropped Beltre for him earlier today. Yes, i realize that that is a risky move, but i think it's safe to say that Beltre isn't really going to come around at all this year, and besides, i did a sell high with Chris Young for him earlier in the year. Chavez is my starting 3B.
Oliver Perez
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:43 pm

Remember Victor Diaz? Yep, he's back. He hit 2 HRs last week.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:10 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Remember Victor Diaz? Yep, he's back. He hit 2 HRs last week.

In the same game, actually. :-°
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:44 pm

C. Vargas
Holliday

Deep Sleeper

Scott Downs
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby freeball » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:51 pm

noah lowrey's line the last month

31.2IP 2W 33K 1.99ERA 0.98WHIP

;-D defintely worth the pickup, especially if your not in dire need of wins
freeball
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers