nothing for wins/loses - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

nothing for wins/loses

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

nothing for wins/loses

Postby waffles » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:17 pm

I was thinking, would it work to completly throw wins and loses out the window for a fantasy point based league? It would make people look deeper for their pitchers. Maybe give someone like Scott Kazmir a lot more value.

I just don't like the idea of my pitchers not getting as many points because the offense can't do anything. If Kazmir pitches 8 innings and only gives up 1 run and 3 hits, does he deserve to get penalized if his team loses? Or maybe even just in AO only leagues, where the pitcher really can't do anything about the offense.
waffles
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:24 pm

Yes, it should count. It's an essential part of what a good SP is. Some guys are unlucky like Kazmir and Grienke, but them's the breaks.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:26 pm

I've considered no W/L just because it should only count if you pitch well fantasy wise...

I mean a hitter doesn't get extra points for hitting a game winning home run

I just don't think anyone wuld agree in my league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:28 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Yes, it should count. It's an essential part of what a good SP is. Some guys are unlucky like Kazmir and Grienke, but them's the breaks.

I wouldn't exactly call Greinke unlucky with a 6.09 ERA, but he probably could have shoveled in a few more wins or less losses on a different team.

I think wins and losses should definitely stay. For H2H it's a little bit of a toss-up each week, but for roto it makes a difference on which players you're drafting. If there are two similar guys in every stat but wins and losses, I'd bet on the guy with more W's going a solid amount earlier in a draft.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby waffles » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:33 pm

I don't do roto so I don't know what kind of affects it would have on that. Basically I was thinking about football. Everyone talks about how many wins a quarterback has, but as far as fantasy is conerned it doesn't matter too much.

But you have situations where a reliver comes in and blows the game. The starter doesn't deserve to lose points because someone else couldn't get the job done. Likewise if a position player blows it.
waffles
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:33 pm

W/L are definitely worth keeping. They add an extra aspect of strategy in drafting, trading, and starting/benching. If you're in H2H, sometimes you may start a guy because he's pitching against a bum and he has a nice shot at getting a W, even if he lets up 3-4 runs, where you may be leading on that particular week. It's things like that among others that make Wins/Losses a vital part of the fantasy game. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby superfly » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:35 pm

Throwing out wins would be like throwing out runs and RBI for hitters.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby waffles » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Except for the fact that hitters have some control over that. There's absolutly nothing I could do as an AL pitcher to help my offense.
waffles
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:44 pm

waffles wrote:Except for the fact that hitters have some control over that. There's absolutly nothing I could do as an AL pitcher to help my offense.

The hitters cant really have control with getting runs and RBI's. They can't make people in front of them get on base and the only way they can really control getting a run or RBI is by stealing home or hitting a homer, they can't control a guy driving them in off the bases. I see what you mean that the pitcher has less control, which is true (especially with AL pitchers), but it's just part of the game.
Last edited by MMoNeY24 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:45 pm

waffles wrote:Except for the fact that hitters have some control over that. There's absolutly nothing I could do as an AL pitcher to help my offense.

If every time they get up, the bases are empty, they really don't. Or if their team has an inability to drive them in, ditto. I originally thought these were apples and oranges here, but I guess you can draw a loose comparison. Because a pitcher won't get a W if his teammates don't perform; similarly to how a batter won't get R/RBI if his don't.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers