Do you have a cutoff date when it comes to slumping players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you have a cutoff date when it comes to slumping players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you have a cutoff date when it comes to slumping players?

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:51 pm

Everyone usually hangs onto a veteran or promising youngster in hopes that they'll prevail from a long-term slump. This hang-on could last for a few months, until August, or the whole year. When a leaguemate dumped Lowell the other day (kept mostly out of damaged pride from a trade) it got me to thinking... when is it time to cut bait on a player if you've hung onto them all year? Guys like Ichiro, Beltre, RJ... all name valued, yet perhaps it's better to go with the hot bat/hand from here on out.

My guess is mid-August, since 1.5 months of productivity is highly unlikely by that point. Thoughts?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby waffles » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:56 pm

I look at who's available. If you'd take your guy over who's there then keep him.

But you also have to look at your league. If you can afford to dump someone for a series and pick him back up, then do it.
waffles
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:59 pm

If they swing and miss the first pitch of the season I dump them immediately
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:59 pm

I'm one of those guys who holds 'em for almost the whole season.
The decision to bench a star-quality guy is hard enough. Cutting them outright often seems like a mistake.
I've added Hafner, D. Wright, Huff (three teams), Furcal, A. Jones and Giles to various teams, all early- to mid-round picks that owners just gave up on.
I would say that the only time to cut these guys is after your trade deadline, when you can't get anything out of them.
In roto, you're often chasing categories at that point, and in H2H you need hot guys for the playoffs, so that's the only time to do it.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:48 pm

I'm a little lenient on 1st rounders like Beltran or Helton because I'd rather them ride my bench than drop them. But normally I have players broken into three tiers: 300 ABs for studs, 200 ABs for mid-tier players and 100 ABs for flukes and the like. It's not a hard rule, I just use it as a rule of thumb and it helps me make tough decisions especially on players who I'm "falling in love with" and really shouldn't be.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:49 pm

Good points.. it's very easy to 'fall in love with' a player, especially if you've seen what they've done the past few (or sometimes one) season. It doesn't help that the so-called fantasy experts keep the comeback record spinning around and around. It's a battle against your own will power and whether or not you can let go of your perceived hopes from draft day and just call it an off year for the player.

I like the at bats idea.. it's a decent rule of thumb that provides a peace of mind when cutting bait. As duckbillgates mentioned, when it comes down to playoffs, dead weight won't win championships.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:35 am

If i have a legitimate replacement available(almost never in a big league) i may go ahead and pick them up. As far as trading them....If it is a big name player i will NOT trade them for less than full(or at least close to full) value unless they just struggle for a long long longgggg time.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers