Keeping Quandary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeping Quandary

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeping Quandary

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:57 pm

This question has always bothered me in my keeper leagues, but what is the ratio of hitters to pitchers that should be kept? At the moment, I've kind of hogtied myself to the idea that 2 pitchers: 3 hitters would generally work out, but does it make sense to keep more hitters than pitchers since pitchers tend to me a whole lot more unpredictable?

Anybody else ever ask themselves a question like this? Does it have more to do with the talent level of the team you're dealing with?

For argument's sake, lets say that you have a set group of keepers (no borderline) of all the comparatively same value.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:12 pm

It depends on the categories in your league. Barring categorical considerations keep Hitters over Pitchers if they would be drafted around the same round.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:13 pm

I don't really think there is a ratio...I think you have to go team by team
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:13 pm

I like to keep more hitters than pitchers.

In a 5 keeper league, I'd like to keep 4 hitters and 1 pitcher. But I have been blessed w/ 2 keeper quality pitchers in Peavy and Oswalt which are quite obviously better than a #5 hitter unless your team is stacked w/ hitters like my friends team (Arod, Vlad, MCab, Carl and Wright)

If equal talent, I'd lean towards hitters b/c pitchers can be such an up/down commidity.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:41 pm

My league gets 3 keepers. 1 hitter, 1 pitcher, and 1 of either.

I'm middle of the pack without a shot at the title so I did some trading and my keepers will be Pujols, Vladdy, and Peavy ;-D
black_hawk8888
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:56 pm

I think it depends on the type of league.....If everyone costs the same tokeep you keep your 3(or however many) best players regardless of position...... If it is a weighted keeper league(say an auction or salary cap league) then you keep you 3(or however many) best 'bang for your buck' players. IF everything else is equal between two players i will lean to the hitter over the pitcher for two reason,,,,1) i flat out SUCK at getting pitchers,,,,,and 2) pitchers seem to be less predictable.

just my opinion,

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby seniorpaul » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:41 pm

I try to keep the best 5 players in my league. However, if theres a close call on my team, i try to guess who the other owners will be keeping, and if it looks like a larger number of good players are being kept at one postition over the other(be it pitcher or positional), that might sway my descision. However, assuming i have an ace on my team, i try to make sure i keep him.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Keeping Quandary

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:45 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:This question has always bothered me in my keeper leagues, but what is the ratio of hitters to pitchers that should be kept? At the moment, I've kind of hogtied myself to the idea that 2 pitchers: 3 hitters would generally work out, but does it make sense to keep more hitters than pitchers since pitchers tend to me a whole lot more unpredictable?

Anybody else ever ask themselves a question like this? Does it have more to do with the talent level of the team you're dealing with?

For argument's sake, lets say that you have a set group of keepers (no borderline) of all the comparatively same value.

We keep 5 plus 1 rook/late pick. I think you need to keep the best guys regardless of position in general.

HOWEVER, most of what I do depends on what everyone else is keeping. Usually in our league even marginal pitchers get kept so that leaves a lot of good hitters in the first couple of rounds. So I try to keep as many surefire pitchers as possible and go after the best hitters, etc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers