Nomar Garciaparra is the best SS in the NL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Nomar Garciaparra is the best SS in the NL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:43 pm

cubyfan06 wrote:he can hit for an average, play good defense, and even hit 15 homeruns in a season. I have no doubt that he will be healthy next season.

surely thats not the best case you can make?

its certainly not worthy of a full response. but it was a little bit of effort, so ill give you a partial list of players that are better than Nomar, and ill go with position players only for this bit.

in no particular order, just as they come to me

D Lee
Aramis
Manny
Ortiz
Arod
Miggy Cabrera
Pujols
Vladdy
Texieria
Young
B. Giles
M. Giles
Chipper
Konerko
Tejada
Soriano
Abreu
Utley
Bay
Sheffield
H. Matsui
Berkman
Furcal
Helton
Delgado

theres 25 better overall players than Nomar, and thats just off the top of my head. if you are coming to try to tell me Nomar is better than any on that list, youll need to do a lot better than you have so far.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JGreer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:49 am

ThatDude wrote:
cubyfan06 wrote:he can hit for an average, play good defense, and even hit 15 homeruns in a season. I have no doubt that he will be healthy next season.

surely thats not the best case you can make?

its certainly not worthy of a full response. but it was a little bit of effort, so ill give you a partial list of players that are better than Nomar, and ill go with position players only for this bit.

in no particular order, just as they come to me

D Lee
Aramis
Manny
Ortiz
Arod
Miggy Cabrera
Pujols
Vladdy
Texieria
Young
B. Giles
M. Giles
Chipper
Konerko
Tejada
Soriano
Abreu
Utley
Bay
Sheffield
H. Matsui
Berkman
Furcal
Helton
Delgado

theres 25 better overall players than Nomar, and thats just off the top of my head. if you are coming to try to tell me Nomar is better than any on that list, youll need to do a lot better than you have so far.

Don't waste your time. This guy is the same cubs homer that said Patterson is the best center fielder, and Hee Seop Choi is the best first baseman, and Bobby Hill is the next Ryne Sandberg, and Gary Scott this, and Jerome Walton that, and Joe Borowski is a great closer......where do I stop?
JGreer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby crazyforbaseball » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:53 pm

Cubs/Red Sox/Mariners Trade Possible

A reliable source told me today about a three-way deal that is "imminent." It's always risky to throw around "imminent," but I'm just quoting him here.

Here's the scenario:

BOS gives: Bronson Arroyo, Tony Graffanino, PTBNL

BOS gets: Jeremy Reed, Will Ohman

CHC gives: Corey Patterson, Ohman

CHC gets: Raul Ibanez, Graffanino, cash

SEA gives: Reed, Ibanez, cash

SEA gets: Arroyo, Patterson, PTBNL

Let's evaluate. There's no doubt the Cubs would be making out like bandits in this trade. Corey Patterson is useless to them, even as a fourth outfielder. 28 year-old lefty Ohman tossed a solid 43 innings this year, and seems recovered from his January 2002 Tommy John surgery.

But Chicago's bounty seems to outweigh the former phenom and useful southpaw. Ibanez is on the hook for just $4.25MM in 2006, and the 33 year-old is probably good for a .290/.350/.460 line in 2006. He played 55 games in left field for the Mariners in 2005. I've projected him at .288 with 21 HR, 84 RBI, 89 runs, and 8 steals for 2006. Graffanino could probably chip in with some decent on-base skills from 2B or a utility role.

My Arroyo projection has him leading the Red Sox in wins with 16. Arroyo does a good job limiting his baserunners and should have an ERA under 4. I don't think Safeco would have a major effect on his numbers. Reed should continue to improve all facets of his game in '06, and would be a nice pickup for the Red Sox.

There may be a holdup in the deal because the Red Sox want to trade before Graffanino and Arroyo hit arbitration, and the Cubs want to wait. The word is that Mariners GM Bill Bavasi is strangely infatuated with Corey Patterson. If that's the case, Hendry should strike while the iron is hot. I don't have any information on where Matt Murton would find himself if the proposed trade takes place, but he wouldn't have a starting gig for the Cubs.

January 04, 2006 in Boston Red Sox, Bronson Arroyo, Chicago Cubs, Corey Patterson, Jeremy Reed, Raul Ibanez, Seattle Mariners | Permalink | Comments (42) | TrackBack (0)
crazyforbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:27 pm

well, mlbtraderumors has been waaaaaay off this season, i think they are batting about .084 so far on their projections and predicting trades. Furcal was "imminently" on his way to the Cubs on 3 different occasions according to them.

anyway, theres already a thread about this somewhere, and ive already said what i think of it in there.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Chicago Cubs