Hidden ball trick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hidden ball trick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:10 am

The video on MLB.com doesn't show the play all that well, but it's there.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:14 am

Yeah, that play was great to watch. Very thoughtout move by the vet, Lowell. At least he's doing something for his team while he's been dropped in every fantasy league.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:15 am

Lowell is one that can get away with it. No opposing pitcher is going to hit Lowell and give up a sure out.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theclefe » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:32 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Lowell is one that can get away with it. No opposing pitcher is going to hit Lowell and give up a sure out.

lol ;-D

Kudos to Todd Jones for picking up on it immeadiatly. One look at Lowell looking for a ball and the play is over.

... even if he looks like Mr. Slave, he knows his baseball.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby daullaz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:47 am

theclefe wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Lowell is one that can get away with it. No opposing pitcher is going to hit Lowell and give up a sure out.

lol ;-D

Kudos to Todd Jones for picking up on it immeadiatly. One look at Lowell looking for a ball and the play is over.

... even if he looks like Mr. Slave, he knows his baseball.

I doubt it was as spontaneous as it seems. I bet Jones and Lowell (and maybe other players like Castillo, Delgado, etc) discussed it in the clubhouse and decided to try it in a situation where they needed a big out. Whatever the situation, big ups to the Marlins for pulling it off.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:50 am

TheYanks04 wrote:That is the way you are supposed to do it. If you try to sneak the guy the ball, someone will usually noticed some sort of unusual motion, gesture, etc. You do it as happenstance at the start of a minute or two conversation and hope that the baserunner falls a sleep/does not pay attention.

As to why more teams do not try it...it is called a 90 mph fastball at the chin.

Not to mention that if you try it often enough, baserunners might start looking for it or being wary of it. I bet one of the reasons it works when it does is because of its rarity - nobody expects it.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stevethumb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:43 am

playing first base in HS, i once pulled it off...the previous play was a basehit to RF w/a runner on second and i was the cutoff man...i kept the ball as the batter/baserunner was a real hotdog/jerk...i went over to the bag and asked him to step off so i could kick the dirt off the bag .. he did and i had to hold the tag for about 3 seconds before i got the umps attention (he was fooled too)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:18 pm

I've had this curse going all year that any time I trade a pitcher they blow up in their last day on my roster. It's happened about 5 or 6 times so far this season.

Well...last night was Todd Jones's last day on my roster. I'm Gameday from mlb.com and staring in disbelief as the curse continues and then suddenly there's no guy on 3b. Having watched a lot of Gameday games I knew what happened the moment they put it up there that Lowell made the out but it was not a pickoff play and just smiled.

Thank you Mike Lowell for breaking the 'Curse of the Going Away Present' with the ol' hidden ball trick! ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:28 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

click on "video highlights" and then on "8/10 Clips"
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:54 pm

The bad thing is that video barely show you the play...I wish I could've seen him throw it to the pitcher...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers