Top 20 prospects not in Yahoo! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 20 prospects not in Yahoo!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top 20 prospects not in Yahoo!

Postby bigken117 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:26 pm

I’m bored at work so I decided to put together a list and a little blurb on my opinion of the top 20 prospects not yet in Yahoo. I’m sure they’ll be plenty of negative feedback, but hopefully there’s some positive as well.

1. Delmon Young
Really?

2. Jeremy Hermida
A perennial All Star starting in 2007, and should open up 2006 in Miami.

3. Daric Barton
All he does is rake. Or walk.

4. Francisco Liriano
My top pitching prospect now that Felix is up. Dirty numbers to match his dirty stuff.

5. Stephen Drew
Probably higher than most have him, but I think he’ll prove to be the call up we all save our #1 priority for in 2006.

6. Ian Stewart
Preseason top 5, after a slow start, has put it together. Hasn’t lost anything as much as the players above him have gained.

7. Carlos Quentin
Definitely won’t qualify for this list much longer.

8. Lastings Milledge
Lack of power at AA disappointing, but it should come. Probably has the highest ceiling without being named Delmon.

9. Matt Cain
All those walks scare me. All those K’s enlighten me.

10. Justin Verlander
Didn’t look great in his big league tryout, but not many pitchers do. Didn’t look terrible either. AA hitters wanted him to stay up.

11. Billy Butler
True the league is hitter friendly, but he’s just from high school. Can’t discount that. Woud be higher if I wasn’t afraid he could end up a DH. But it’s not like the Royals have a stacked system either.

12. Cole Hamels
I know, I know…but a healthy Hamels probably wouldn’t even qualify for this list.

13. Felix Pie
Finally having that breakout season and should contend for a job next spring, though I think another year of seasoning is best. The Cubs don’t want another Patterson.

14. Joel Guzman
Not putting up attention grabbing numbers, and K’s way too much. Still only 20, crazy upside though. Will probably have to play the OF.

15. Yusmeiro Petit
Proving you don’t need gas to be effective. Impeccable control.

16. Chad Billingsley
Finally getting it all together at AA. Three potential plus pitches. Will get some spot starts in 2006.

17. Brandon Wood
35 homers is 35 homers, no matter how you slice it.

18. Andy LaRoche
More of a safer pick than Guzman, and should reach The Show first.

19. Hanley Ramirez
What an enigma for the Sox. Will battle with Pedroia for the 2B job next spring. Then he’ll probably have to learn CF.

20. Jered Weaver
Probably won’t become an ace, but could battle for a rotation spot next spring.

Missing the cut (in no order or I would have gone 25/30 deep): Adam Miller, Howie Kendrick, Kendry Morales, Ian Kinsler, Wes Bankston, Thomas Diamond, Joel Zumaya, Gio Gonzalez, Brian Anderson, Jon Lester…

I’d be interested in seeing some other peoples rankings too, especially the frequent contributors in here. We could get some sort of café top prospect list going…
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:56 pm

nice list...the only comment i have is that hanley ramirez is no 2nd baseman....you will NOT see him playing that position in the majors
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bigken117 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:21 pm

stevethumb wrote:nice list...the only comment i have is that hanley ramirez is no 2nd baseman....you will NOT see him playing that position in the majors

I know...that's why I said he'd battle Pedroia for it, then have to learn the OF, inferring that Pedroia would win (and easily I think)...
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:52 am

Don't know how you can argue with the top 5-6. With my limited knowledge of prospects/minor leagues I would shuffle some of the others around a bit, but solid list, and great idea. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Top 20 prospects not in Yahoo!

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:53 pm

bigken117 wrote:I’m bored at work so I decided to put together a list and a little blurb on my opinion of the top 20 prospects not yet in Yahoo. I’m sure they’ll be plenty of negative feedback, but hopefully there’s some positive as well.

1. Delmon Young
Really?

2. Jeremy Hermida
A perennial All Star starting in 2007, and should open up 2006 in Miami.

3. Daric Barton
All he does is rake. Or walk.

4. Francisco Liriano
My top pitching prospect now that Felix is up. Dirty numbers to match his dirty stuff.

5. Stephen Drew
Probably higher than most have him, but I think he’ll prove to be the call up we all save our #1 priority for in 2006.

6. Ian Stewart
Preseason top 5, after a slow start, has put it together. Hasn’t lost anything as much as the players above him have gained.

7. Carlos Quentin
Definitely won’t qualify for this list much longer.

8. Lastings Milledge
Lack of power at AA disappointing, but it should come. Probably has the highest ceiling without being named Delmon.

9. Matt Cain
All those walks scare me. All those K’s enlighten me.

10. Justin Verlander
Didn’t look great in his big league tryout, but not many pitchers do. Didn’t look terrible either. AA hitters wanted him to stay up.

11. Billy Butler
True the league is hitter friendly, but he’s just from high school. Can’t discount that. Woud be higher if I wasn’t afraid he could end up a DH. But it’s not like the Royals have a stacked system either.

12. Cole Hamels
I know, I know…but a healthy Hamels probably wouldn’t even qualify for this list.

13. Felix Pie
Finally having that breakout season and should contend for a job next spring, though I think another year of seasoning is best. The Cubs don’t want another Patterson.

14. Joel Guzman
Not putting up attention grabbing numbers, and K’s way too much. Still only 20, crazy upside though. Will probably have to play the OF.

15. Yusmeiro Petit
Proving you don’t need gas to be effective. Impeccable control.

16. Chad Billingsley
Finally getting it all together at AA. Three potential plus pitches. Will get some spot starts in 2006.

17. Brandon Wood
35 homers is 35 homers, no matter how you slice it.

18. Andy LaRoche
More of a safer pick than Guzman, and should reach The Show first.

19. Hanley Ramirez
What an enigma for the Sox. Will battle with Pedroia for the 2B job next spring. Then he’ll probably have to learn CF.

20. Jered Weaver
Probably won’t become an ace, but could battle for a rotation spot next spring.

Missing the cut (in no order or I would have gone 25/30 deep): Adam Miller, Howie Kendrick, Kendry Morales, Ian Kinsler, Wes Bankston, Thomas Diamond, Joel Zumaya, Gio Gonzalez, Brian Anderson, Jon Lester…

I’d be interested in seeing some other peoples rankings too, especially the frequent contributors in here. We could get some sort of café top prospect list going…

Right now I have Delmon Young as the undisputed #1 prospect (even better than Felix Hernandez). Hermida and Drew are #1A. I think Drew has a chance to be a #1 going into next year. This kid can hit.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby carter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:09 pm

great list

i would move Hermida down about 10 or 15 spots (he's great, but no way is he #2!)

id move Ian Stewart UP

Billy Butler UP

Liriano is too high, and borderline to even make top 20 (he's gonna wind up reliever.. not like johan, more like hawkins)

and i'd remove Cain and Billingsley altogether (the walks SHOULD scare you .. alot)

everything else looks great..

players i'd consider adding: Hunter Pence, Troy Tulowitzki, Asdrubal Cabrera, Justin Upton, Alex Gordon, Cameron Maybin

p.s. Hanley is ok, but i like Pedroia better as a hitter (nothing is gonna stop that guy - too strong willed)
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:01 pm

The only one I know will get a call up is Carlos Quentin. Is there anyone else I should hold my waiver for this season?
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:01 pm

I think both Delmon and Hermida will get the call, and others among my top 20, probaby just Liriano and Cain.
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:06 pm

carter wrote:Liriano is too high, and borderline to even make top 20 (he's gonna wind up reliever.. not like johan, more like hawkins)
Care to elaborate on this? All signs point to him having the potential to be one of the best left handed starters in all of baseball, so I'm just curious as to why you think a guy that's been so dominating as a starter in the upper minors is going to the bullpen. I do recall that he has had arm problems in the past, but I think he was healthy all last year and so far all of this year.

Anyways to add to the topic, I'm not a Red Sox fan, but there are two very exciting prospects in their organization I think deserve honorable mention. They are Anibal Sanchez and Craig Hansen. Some argue that Sanchez has higher upside than Lester. Craig Hansen has only put in limited work in the minors, but he is living up to all expectations and is on the fast track to the majors.

Also don't count out Ryan Zimmerman. Excellent defender and has all the potential to be a pretty good hitter. He might just get called up before the year is over. Questionable to how immediate he'll be an impact player, but he really can't do much worse than Washington's current options at 3B can he?
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:23 pm

I guess I should have specified that players from the 05 draft weren't considered. But I am excited to see Hansen as well. He's already up to AA and got his first save yesterday. Maybe some September help for us :-?
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball