How come Rivera was never a SP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How come Rivera was never a SP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How come Rivera was never a SP?

Postby JGarrison » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:35 pm

He was a SP for one year, his rookie year and that is it. How come they never tried starting him another year? That would be interesting to see ;-D :-o
JGarrison
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 pm

He was originally a starter. But with only a dominant fastball, he was better suited for the pen and look how well it worked out.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Just being presumptuous here, but I assume his arm couldn't shoulder the workload of a 300+ inning season of work, or the throwing 100 pitches every 5 days schedule. A lot of pitchers have had this happen, including the likes of Jason Isringhausen, Octavio Dotel, among others. Pitching under 100 IP/season is a day at the beach compared to a SPs workload of innings.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Just being presumptuous here, but I assume his arm couldn't shoulder the workload of a 300+ inning season of work, or the throwing 100 pitches every 5 days schedule. A lot of pitchers have had this happen, including the likes of Jason Isringhausen, Octavio Dotel, among others. Pitching under 100 IP/season is a day at the beach compared to a SPs workload of innings.

Who pitches 300 innings now? 8-o

I assume you meant 200.

I've heard that its just as tough as being a starter because you pitch so much more often, but I don't know if thats true.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:56 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Just being presumptuous here, but I assume his arm couldn't shoulder the workload of a 300+ inning season of work, or the throwing 100 pitches every 5 days schedule. A lot of pitchers have had this happen, including the likes of Jason Isringhausen, Octavio Dotel, among others. Pitching under 100 IP/season is a day at the beach compared to a SPs workload of innings.

Actually this had absolutely nothing to do with it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby silverZ » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:10 pm

Probably because he lives and dies by his cutter. I don't think there are any SP that only throw one pitch 90% of the time.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:13 pm

silverZ wrote:Probably because he lives and dies by his cutter. I don't think there are any SP that only throw one pitch 90% of the time.

Tim Wakefield ;-D .
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby silverZ » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:14 pm

Knuckle balls dont count !+)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby The Jury » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:16 pm

It's simple - he's not good enough to be a starter. A lot of pitcher flourish as relievers but in the big picture, they aren't as good as starting pitchers.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers