liriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

liriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

liriano

Postby jskidder » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:51 pm

i saw that he extended his scoreless innings streak to 26 2/3 last night with 7 more scoreless. he's dominating aaa with a sick era and k/bb, so is he going to get the call soon? i keep hearing baker is ahead of him, but i don't see how at this point. any insight?
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drpiranha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:52 am

The Twins are one annoying team. The only thing that could make them more annoying is if Pinella were the manager. The Twins used Santana as a middle reliever and situational lefty and kept him there for over a year, when his spot starts showed he was the best starter on the team.
The question, at this time, is not whether Liriano or Baker would be the better ML starter, but, why on earth, they are not both starting over Mays and Lohse.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: liriano

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:07 am

jskidder wrote:i saw that he extended his scoreless innings streak to 26 2/3 last night with 7 more scoreless. he's dominating aaa with a sick era and k/bb, so is he going to get the call soon? i keep hearing baker is ahead of him, but i don't see how at this point. any insight?

Baker's more polished and he showed that he belongs in the majors. Right now Baker deserves a shot before Liriano IMO. Long term, Liriano looks great.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby garf112 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:04 pm

drpiranha wrote:The Twins are one annoying team. The only thing that could make them more annoying is if Pinella were the manager. The Twins used Santana as a middle reliever and situational lefty and kept him there for over a year, when his spot starts showed he was the best starter on the team.
The question, at this time, is not whether Liriano or Baker would be the better ML starter, but, why on earth, they are not both starting over Mays and Lohse.

What are you annoyed at? That they make the playoffs every year? Or is it because they know how to develop their young players?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby blackops » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:45 pm

garf112 wrote:
drpiranha wrote:The Twins are one annoying team. The only thing that could make them more annoying is if Pinella were the manager. The Twins used Santana as a middle reliever and situational lefty and kept him there for over a year, when his spot starts showed he was the best starter on the team.

What are you annoyed at? That they make the playoffs every year? Or is it because they know how to develop their young players?

Well they aint gonna make it this year with the way the A's and White Sox are playing, and Hunter's injury. So they might as well call up the prospects and get them some expierence already.
Steve Bartman blows!!!!! Go Cubbies!!!!!
blackops
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby drpiranha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:40 pm

I thought that would be obvious by my post. I like seeing the best players on all teams (especially when I have them on my Fantasy team like Liriano and Baker). Baker has pitched better in his 2 spot starts than Lohse and especially Mays. If AJ wasn't such a jerk, he will still probabably be catching and Mauer would still be in the minors. Santana was held back from starting by lesser pitchers. It's obvious with the Twins lack of hitting, that Mays and Lohse should have been moved for even marginal players at any position other than 1B and C.
I am not a Twins fan. If you are, tell me why Mays is starting over Baker.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby carter » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:14 pm

drpiranha wrote:What are you annoyed at? That they make the playoffs every year? Or is it because they know how to develop their young players?
I thought that would be obvious by my post. I like seeing the best players on all teams (especially when I have them on my Fantasy team like Liriano and Baker). Baker has pitched better in his 2 spot starts than Lohse and especially Mays. If AJ wasn't such a jerk, he will still probabably be catching and Mauer would still be in the minors. Santana was held back from starting by lesser pitchers. It's obvious with the Twins lack of hitting, that Mays and Lohse should have been moved for even marginal players at any position other than 1B and C.

the twins don't like to rush their prospects.. its as simple as that.. you can make the case that for Santana it 100% worked because he's turned out as one of the best.... for Kubel, maybe it backfired a little.. but you can't really argue with their success.. baseball is a grueling sport and patience is key....

Liriano has been amazing this year. it'll be interesting to see what they do with him + Baker since they are pretty much out of the race .. they haven't been in this positon for years
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Jenkins » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:56 pm

I read that despite Liriano's incredible numbers, he still has a little finetuning to do in AAA before he gets the call. I have never seen him pitch so I dont know what these changes could be, but his numbers are off the chart (and he's a lefty). I have this guy on my dynasty league team (also have Baker). I hope they both tear it up!
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:01 pm

carter wrote:
drpiranha wrote:What are you annoyed at? That they make the playoffs every year? Or is it because they know how to develop their young players?

It is rare that carter and I agree, but this is a case that we are on the same page. Liriano and Baker are not ready for the Majors. Look at Edwin Jackson and the long list of pitching prospects that are rushed. Then look at what the Twins did with Santana and you will see why they are pitching Mays and Lohse. Santana didn't have a changeup, so he couldn't get out of the 4th inning they sent him down to the minors and now he is pure filth. Prospects are as much about patience as they are about promotions.

the twins don't like to rush their prospects.. its as simple as that.. you can make the case that for Santana it 100% worked because he's turned out as one of the best.... for Kubel, maybe it backfired a little.. but you can't really argue with their success.. baseball is a grueling sport and patience is key....

Liriano has been amazing this year. it'll be interesting to see what they do with him + Baker since they are pretty much out of the race .. they haven't been in this positon for years
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Paulie Walnuts » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:23 am

Just a little Liriano heads-up...

You HAVE to read this article from BA about him... WOW... 8-o

And also... Any other Liriano Owner getting a kick out of it, when Mays or Lohse get shelled... Like Mays today... :*)

Oh and this from AP...

While the rest of Minnesota's starting pitchers have surged in the second half, Mays has stumbled - going 1-6 with a 7.48 ERA after posting marks of 5-3 and 4.13 before the All-Star break. He gave up nine hits and five runs in 4 2-3 innings, walking one and hitting one without a strikeout.

With top prospects Scott Baker and Francisco Liriano thriving at Triple-A Rochester, a change sounded almost imminent.

At least there is some hope... }:-)
Paulie Walnuts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball