Moyer prefers Seattle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moyer prefers Seattle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Moyer prefers Seattle

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:55 am

So much for an old vet wanting to compete. So who is dumber...Cashman for putting in a claim and wanting a stiff like Moyer or Moyer for thinking he was gong to get a contract extension out of it?

Rotoworld:
The Yankees put in a waiver claim for Jamie Moyer but could not get an agreement from him to switch teams under his 10-5 rights. Moyer discussed a contract extension with the Yankees and, when unable to work it out, rejected the move.
This is the second time in a week that the 42 year old Moyer has passed on a chance to pitch in a pennant race.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:58 am

i think i read that after he turned the braves earlier,,,, that he wanted to stay in seattle due to family reasons..... i cant blame a man for not wanting to leave his family, as i know i would have a hard time leaving my wife and kid for the next 3 months,,,,,,, but as a baseball fan, it amazes me that he turned down a chance to get back in the postseason again.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:02 am

Apparently he would have if the Yanks gave him a contract extension...And like these millionaires can't afford to have the wife and kids travel with them for a month? Give me a break as that is such a lame excuse.

His contract is up after this year so he might have to move anyway. He did us a favor by not coming, but the nerve to think he was going to get an extension like he was some sort of hot commodity is just amazing to me. 42, you blow in a pitcher's park, let's talk extension.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:19 am

It always cracks me up when Yankee fans finally realize that not everybody wants to play for the enemy. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby dannyolbb » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:22 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Apparently he would have if the Yanks gave him a contract extension...And like these millionaires can't afford to have the wife and kids travel with them for a month? Give me a break as that is such a lame excuse.

His contract is up after this year so he might have to move anyway. He did us a favor by not coming, but the nerve to think he was going to get an extension like he was some sort of hot commodity is just amazing to me. 42, you blow in a pitcher's park, let's talk extension.

Given the Yankees pitching, he is a hot commodity. And maybe he wants his kids in school. Can't blame a guy if you don't know the circumstances.

I think this waiver claim for Moyer only stresses just how bad the Yankees pitching has been this year.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:25 am

I'd hardly say that a 9-4 record with a 4.29 "blows." He certainly won't win the Cy Young, but you could do a lot worse (Al Leiter anyone?).

I heard he turned down Houston and/or Atlanta before the deadline, but mostly because the Mariners wouldn't guarantee that they'd re-sign him in the offseason. Since he's earned the right to decide where he wants to play as a 10-5 guy, he opted to use it.

While I would have liked whatever prospects he might have brought, it is somewhat refreshing to see a veteran guy turn down opportunities to win now or make more money just because they like where are they are, feel comfortable there, have families that are comfortable there, and feel like they're part of the community and don't want to give that up. I am a little surprised he didn't take the chance to get in a pennant race, but I can't fault the guy for his reasons.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rlee » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:57 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i think i read that after he turned the braves earlier,,,, that he wanted to stay in seattle due to family reasons..... i cant blame a man for not wanting to leave his family, as i know i would have a hard time leaving my wife and kid for the next 3 months,,,,,,, but as a baseball fan, it amazes me that he turned down a chance to get back in the postseason again.....

I t was the Astros, not the Braves. At the trade deadline.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:17 pm

rlee wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:i think i read that after he turned the braves earlier,,,, that he wanted to stay in seattle due to family reasons..... i cant blame a man for not wanting to leave his family, as i know i would have a hard time leaving my wife and kid for the next 3 months,,,,,,, but as a baseball fan, it amazes me that he turned down a chance to get back in the postseason again.....

I t was the Astros, not the Braves. At the trade deadline.

I heard he turned down the Braves, too.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Strasil42 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:34 pm

wrveres wrote:It always cracks me up when Yankee fans finally realize that not everybody wants to play for the enemy. :-)

Didn't he turn down another playoff contender as well?? I dont think it has anything to do with the team. But great post. :-)
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:16 am

Moyer's very much a part of the Seattle community. His wife does a ton of fund-raising, organizes different events throughout the year. He's 42, has a bunch of kids, I could see why he wouldn't want to get uprooted at his age, after so many years in Seattle.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers