Did anyone hear KNBR show that resulted in the firings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Did anyone hear KNBR show that resulted in the firings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BeefSandwiches » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:00 pm

theskaboss wrote:
"Personally, I like to play in the heat," Dusty said "Most Latin people and minority people do. You don't find too many brothers from New Hampshire or Maine, right? We were brought over here because we could work in the heat. Isn't that history? Your skin color is more conducive to heat than it is to the lighter-skinned people. I don't see brothers running around burnt. That's a fact. I'm not making this up. I'm not seeing some brothers walking around with some white stuff on their ears and noses.''

I think that implies that the white guys can't play as well in the heat of Chicago as the "brothers"...

We're walking a fine line here, but that's a black guy talking about black players and not a white guy refering to Latin players...whether right or wrong it makes a HUGE in difference in perception.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:02 pm

theskaboss wrote:
"Personally, I like to play in the heat," Dusty said "Most Latin people and minority people do. You don't find too many brothers from New Hampshire or Maine, right? We were brought over here because we could work in the heat. Isn't that history? Your skin color is more conducive to heat than it is to the lighter-skinned people. I don't see brothers running around burnt. That's a fact. I'm not making this up. I'm not seeing some brothers walking around with some white stuff on their ears and noses.''

I think that implies that the white guys can't play as well in the heat of Chicago as the "brothers"...

and so you read that and decided that Dusty was saying white people shouldn't play in Chicago, interesting. :-?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theskaboss » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:04 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:
theskaboss wrote:

We're walking a fine line here, but that's a black guy talking about black players and not a white guy refering to Latin players...whether right or wrong it makes a HUGE in difference in perception.

He's also infering that the white guys can't handle the heat, I know plenty of white guys that never need sunscreen and dont mind the heat etc...

I just think it's dumb how Dusty can generalize a race and nobody cares becuases he's black, but the minute a white guy does it, outrage! 8-o

(it doesn't really bother me, btw, sometimes I just like to argue, even if I have a weak point... :-b )
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby theclefe » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:15 pm

linked story wrote:With everything that's been written about Krueger the last few days, Alou's "slap on the hand" comment started me chuckling, then laughing when I stop to think about guys like Kenny Rogers who smack photographers around and get ... well, a slap on the hand. Rafael Palmeiro tests positive for steroids and gets ... well, a slap on the hand. Players go after fans and get ... well, a slap on the hand. They pay a fine -- in the thousands! -- but in terms or real money based on what they earn, they're paying what you or I would pay for a parking ticket. Do they lose their jobs? Never.

I agree. It is hypocritical for any proffesional athlete to demand or devalue the job of someone who does something to bother them.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:53 pm

The double standard lives on :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert