Did anyone hear KNBR show that resulted in the firings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Did anyone hear KNBR show that resulted in the firings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:46 am

They fired three guys.

On Tuesday morning, KNBR aired Alou's sound bite from "Outside the Lines" and then parodied it with Satan references from the Comedy Central show "South Park."

That apparently was the impetus for Rhein's dismissal -- and might have had something to do with the termination of Agnew, who had been with KNBR since 1989.

"The segment, featuring inappropriate comedy sound bites," Salvadore wrote in the statement, "demonstrated an utter lack of regard for the sensitivity of the issues involved and a premeditated intent to ridicule Felipe Alou's commentary."
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:55 am

BigMusky wrote:Carribean implies that he wants the specific braindead players on the team he is talking about know it without having to say there individual names. If they had all happend to play outfield, I am sure he would have said braindead outfielders.


thats the way i interpreted it but i only read it and did not hear it. you can call it insensitive but i think the giants overreacted.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Seems like yet another HUGE overreaction to me. :-/

BigMusky wrote:what is racist about saying Carribean?


Agreed. It's just a descriptive term, like tall or short.

Rirruto wrote:Because it implies that the reason they are 'brain-dead' is because they are from the Caribbean.


It does? How? :-?

Change the "Carribbean" to "Tall" and see how it looks:

The Giants are a team of brain dead tall hitters hacking at slop nightly."

Now do you read that as all tall people are brain dead simply because they are tall? :-?

I don't read the comment that way. I read it the same way as Musky.

BigMusky wrote:no...that is how someone looking for a racist comment would listen to it. Someone not thinking about that would say that Carribean implies that he wants the specific braindead players on the team he is talking about know it without having to say there individual names. If they had all happend to play outfield, I am sure he would have said braindead outfielders.


;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Rirruto » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:01 pm

Madison wrote:
Rirruto wrote:Because it implies that the reason they are 'brain-dead' is because they are from the Caribbean.


It does? How? :-?

Change the "Carribbean" to "Tall" and see how it looks:

The Giants are a team of brain dead tall hitters hacking at slop nightly."

Now do you read that as all tall people are brain dead simply because they are tall? :-?

I get your point Madison but I don't think you can compare the two. There are only 6 Latin players on the Giant roster out of 25, there's no reason to be singling them out. If the guy is going to criticize the Giants' play, badmouth the Giants. not just the "Caribbean" players. The white, black, and whatever else in between are all responsible for the demise of the Giants.
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:31 pm

Rirruto wrote:
Madison wrote:
Rirruto wrote:Because it implies that the reason they are 'brain-dead' is because they are from the Caribbean.


It does? How? :-?

Change the "Carribbean" to "Tall" and see how it looks:

The Giants are a team of brain dead tall hitters hacking at slop nightly."

Now do you read that as all tall people are brain dead simply because they are tall? :-?

I get your point Madison but I don't think you can compare the two. There are only 6 Latin players on the Giant roster out of 25, there's no reason to be singling them out. If the guy is going to criticize the Giants' play, badmouth the Giants. not just the "Caribbean" players. The white, black, and whatever else in between are all responsible for the demise of the Giants.


True ;-D , the Giants are not having an off year due to just a couple of players. It just really seemed to me that the author was trying to single out a player or couple of players without having to say their name. I read the comment as descriptive, not racist. That's all I was trying to point out. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:56 pm

the simple fact is, when you reference a race of people in a negative light in the position he is in, you will be considered a racist and fired -- context and/or what you 'meant' to say have no affect on these types of situations. whether or not krueger is a racist does not matter -- his comments offended players on the roster and felipe. and there simply is no way non-carribeans can really say they shouldn't have reacted that way either. if he had said 'braindead hitters' without qualifying it no one would have cared and would have chalked it up to a frustrated broadcaster who had been associated with the team for 13 years saying what was on his mind

what bothers me is that after this alou apparently warned his players to 'watch out for racial prejudice in san francisco', because obviously since krueger said this, it can only mean that san francisco is teeming with racist people. i mean how could you not draw that parallel ;-7
Image
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1197
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:09 pm

mbuser wrote:the simple fact is, when you reference a race of people in a negative light in the position he is in, you will be considered a racist and fired -- context and/or what you 'meant' to say have no affect on these types of situations. whether or not krueger is a racist does not matter -- his comments offended players on the roster and felipe. and there simply is no way non-carribeans can really say they shouldn't have reacted that way either. if he had said 'braindead hitters' without qualifying it no one would have cared and would have chalked it up to a frustrated broadcaster who had been associated with the team for 13 years saying what was on his mind


We could make it even more ridiculous than it already is and point out that ballplayers should be mad that they are all being lumped together and called braindead. ;-7

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby theskaboss » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:30 pm

Felipe is completely over-reacting...he called Kruger the messanger of satan, give me a break...

Dusty can say white guys arent meant for Chicago becuase they can't handle the heat well and nobody gives a damn and a guy gets fired for saying brain dead Carribian players...

Everyone is waaaaaay too sensative when it comes to race, imo...
Image
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 837
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: albertsons

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:32 pm

theskaboss wrote:Felipe is completely over-reacting...he called Kruger the messanger of satan, give me a break...

Dusty can say white guys arent meant for Chicago becuase they can't handle the heat well and nobody gives a damn and a guy gets fired for saying brain dead Carribian players...

Everyone is waaaaaay too sensative when it comes to race, imo...


Dusty never said that :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theskaboss » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:45 pm

"Personally, I like to play in the heat," Dusty said "Most Latin people and minority people do. You don't find too many brothers from New Hampshire or Maine, right? We were brought over here because we could work in the heat. Isn't that history? Your skin color is more conducive to heat than it is to the lighter-skinned people. I don't see brothers running around burnt. That's a fact. I'm not making this up. I'm not seeing some brothers walking around with some white stuff on their ears and noses.''


I think that implies that the white guys can't play as well in the heat of Chicago as the "brothers"...
Image
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 837
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: albertsons

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact