My draft is in 10 minutes... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My draft is in 10 minutes...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My draft is in 10 minutes...

Postby Reloaded » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:56 am

Roto 5 x 5 yahoo league.

I got the 6th pick. Who do you think will be left? Who are some possible draft selections?
Reloaded
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Payne Dailey » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:39 am

An all star. You don't win your league with the sixth pick you win it with your 10th-20th round picks. I usually have a cheat sheet for the total amount of players that are going to be drafted that day, then just go with the flow of the draft. If it's a pitcher heavy draft at the beginning I'll pick up all the great hitters in the first four or five rounds then when they're scambling to fill their roster spots I'll go after the pitchers and vice versa if it's a pitcher heavy except I'll go for a ss/second baseman & an outfielder/first baseman in the first five rounds.When the sheep start going after the same players they leave some great bargins on the table. It usually works out pretty well.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:08 am

My guess is that ARod, Pujols, Soriano and Bonds are taken by then. Basically, although you want to get a good 2B or SS in the early rounds, it's too early to dip deep and take Kent or Nomar in the first round. You'll probably have two options. One would be to take Pedro. That's not a bad choice but I personally think taking pitchers in round 1 hurts your offense too much. The second option and the one I'd take would be to take one of the three top 1B Helton, Delgago or Giambi, one of these should be left. Helton would be my first choice of the three due to the Coors Field factor and the fact that unlike Delgado and Giambi, he doesn't seem prone to streakiness. If Bonds is still there at the 6th pick, consider snagging him too.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:00 pm

Javy Lopez should be around when your first pick comes time. Consider taking him if ARod and Sosa are gone. Javy Lopez won't disappoint, and he even plays for a shallow position as a bonus.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:02 pm

You cannot seriously be suggesting that someone take Javy Lopez in round 1. With Piazza down, you shouldn't take any catchers before round 4. Lopez is hot right now but it's just a mirage likely, and he won't keep up anything close to this pace. Add in that he has a history of serious injuries and inconsistency and you have to come to the conclusion that you'd be delusional to expect Lopez to keep this up.

Even among catchers, you'd want to take IRod, Posada, Lo Duca and Kendall before considering taking Lopez.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Reloaded » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:12 pm

Well if anyone is intrested in how I picked this is what I did

Rd. 1 - B. Boone
Rd. 2 - V. Guerrero
Rd. 3 - B. Zito
Rd. 4 - V. Wells
Rd. 5 - T. Glaus
Rd. 6 - E. Loaiza
Rd. 7 - K. Foulke
Rd. 8 - L. Walker
Rd. 9 - D. Lowe
Rd. 10 - C. Lidle
Rd. 11 - B. Williams
Rd. 12 - M. Clement
Rd. 13 - R. Klesko

After that I basically filled up my roster with the Matsui's, Santiago's etc.

Edit: It turned out I had the 8th pick not the 6th in the 12 man league.
Reloaded
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:29 pm

No offense, but you blew that draft big time. There is no way in hell Bret Boon should be a first round pick. He is really hot right now which is why Yahoo ranked him high, but he has always been a streaky hitter and is far behind Soriano and Kent and possibly even behind Vidro among 2B. Atrocious first round pick.

Vlad is out 6-8 weeks, which means August is the best case scenario that you will get to use him, and probably later. Don't expect more than a month of production out of him and probably not near his normal production either. Therefore, you blew your first two picks putting yourself in an enormous hole.

Wells, Zito and Glaus are solid picks giving you a strong outfielder, ace pitcher, and 3B. However, Loaiza is a terrible pick. There is no way he keeps this up long term, and the best part of his season is behind him, meaning you get little better than a waiver calibre pitcher for your squad. Lidle is the same way, he'll contribute wins but hurt your ERA and WHIP.

Your pitching staff of Zito, Lidle, Loaiza, Clement and Lowe is woefully weak and you can't except to come close to winning pitching categories with that. Your offense also isn't looking pretty. You have an average outfield, but lack any top 10 outfielders unless Vlad comes back. Klesko is a pretty weak 1B for a mixed league, and you apparently have no elite SS either. You have a decent 2B and 3B but it comes nowhere close to making up for the other shortcomings.

Basically, you have drafted a below average offense and a terrible pitching staff. You'll be lucky to finish above the bottom 3rd with this draft. You can't just go by the Yahoo rankings and let those choose who you take, you have to look deeper at guys who are slumping and ranked too low, and pass over guys like Boone who are on a tear and overranked.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hodge » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:58 pm

hate the first 2 pics! hate them. very very very bad. rounds 3-5 were good though. the rest of the draft was pretty ho-hum. not a great draft dude, sorry.
Hodge

Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:41 pm

Hey jdh, that was a very thorough and excellent analysis of that draft. Would you mind looking at the draft that I just finished, and tell me how I did? thanks.

H2H 12 team 5x5
I had the 12th pick

1)Helton 1B
2)Garciaparra SS
3)Foulke RP
4)Prior SP
5)Oswalt SP
6)L. Castillo 2B
7)Percival RP
8)Chavez 3B
9)Loaiza SP
10)Chacon SP
11)J. Lopez C
12)Biddle RP
13)J. Gonzalez OF
14)Payton OF
15)Worrell RP
16)Grissom OF
17)Isringhausen RP
18)Contreras SP
19)Sanchez OF
20)A. Gonzalez SS
21)Seo SP

Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:54 pm

I like Helton alot as a first round pick if you miss out on Pujols, ARod, and Soriano. He is an absolute offensive monster, and I think the best 1B in baseball, although some will argue Delgado or Giambi is better. He's a great guy to build your offense around. Nomar as the second pick is also solid, gives you a great SS to solidify a weak position, and Nomar will hit .330-30-120 probably.

I don't really like taking Foulke in the the third round though. He is a solid closer, but unless you can get Smoltz or Gagne, the third round is too early to reach for a closer IMO. You would have been better served getting a top notch starting pitcher or a strong outfielder here. Prior and Oswalt are great picks and give you two top 10 starting pitchers, provided Oswalt's injury isn't serious.

I also think the Castillo and Chavez picks were good because it gives you top 5 guys at the two weak positions. You are also set for closers with two elite guys in Percival and Foulke, plus Biddle, Izzy and Worrell thrown in.

Taking Loaiza and Chacon at all, and especially this early was a mistake. I think both guys have gotten lucky so far and are flukes. You probably could have gotten someone more established that has been struggling at those picks. For example, I would far rather have Freddy Garcia or Al Leiter than Chacon or Loaiza. Don't count on either of them to be more than spot starters for the rest of the year.

Your infield looks solid, and your pitching should be OK if you start Prior and Oswalt all the time and selectively start your other guys. I might consider seeing if someone is in desperate need of a decent closer and move Percival or Foulke to bring in a better #3 starter, since 5 closers might be a bit excessive anyway.

You obviously left your outfield until later in the draft, which makes it a bit weak, but it seems like you should already have enough HR and RBI production from Helton, Garciaparra, Chavez, and Juan Gone in the OF to get by. I would recommend starting Sanchez in your OF all the time because Castillo is your only other steals source, so you'll need his speed.

If you can bring in a solid #3 pitcher, you have a nice team.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers