Bench Prior against Sandbox legend DOUG DAVIS??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bench Prior against Sandbox legend DOUG DAVIS???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bench Prior against Sandbox legend DOUG DAVIS???

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:52 am

I'm not totally serious here, for starters. Although I am benching a few guys I'd normally start (Webb, probably Woody vs. Yanks), I cannot bring myself to bench Prior. He was the key to my draft strategy. He may not have delivered all I expected, he has still been solid.

Good call by 'quickfingerz' benching Wood. I briefly considered benching Prior too, but when I saw the match-up with DD, I had to start him.

Any of you (former) Sandbox regs who remember the legendary DD thread from last season (when it was free)?

Good times, good times.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bench Prior against Sandbox legend DOUG DAVIS???

Postby Greenrider » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:16 am

DGroundhog wrote:He may not have delivered all I expected, he has still been solid.

you must have been expecting him to walk on water :-b

he's on his way to having one of the most dominant second seasons of the modern era

I'm not as sold on prior as a lot of the other people on this board are, but you have to respect what he's done so far
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:24 am

OK, I agree that Prior has proven himself to be a top tier starter, but "one of the most dominant seasons of the modern era", please. There are at least five starters this year who have had better seasons than Prior so far. HE is good but not the second coming of Bob Gibson.

Anyway, I think you have to start your top notch starters no matter what unless they are playing in Coors. The only situation in which you wouldn't want to is in a h2h league where you already have the pitching categories wrapped. Prior will probably be decent today, I wouldn't expect a shutout from him or anything; he is likely to perform similar to the way Wood performed last night 4 or 5 earned runs in 7 innings is my guess. But an excellent chance at getting the win against the terrible Doug Davis. You might take an ERA and WHIP hit though.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:45 pm

he's on his way to having one of the most dominant second seasons of the modern era

SECOND Season, being the operative word. The guy is just 22 and going through his first full Major League Season. He'll keep gettin better.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:48 pm

bench him in a heartbeat. i'd still see if someone would trade you a bag of leaf clippings for prior, as his inevitable 18 ER performance today will kill all of his fantasy value.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:51 pm

[quote="]OK, I agree that Prior has proven himself to be a top tier starter, but "one of the most dominant seasons of the modern era", please. There are at least five starters this year who have had better seasons than Prior so far. HE is good but not the second coming of Bob Gibson.[/quote]

But are any of them 22, coming off a good year at 21? How do you know hes not the 2nd coming of Gibson? If anyone has a shot, its him. Hes the best arm i have seen come up since a young Clemens. Gibson at age 22 was in the minors. Even in StLouis at age 24, he had a 5.41 era in a pitchers era. Gibson didnt take off till he was 25. Prior started at 21 in a much tougher time to pitch.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby quickfingerz » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:07 pm

I benched Wood for other reasons (ie: High recent pitch count, versus Escobar)

I DID NOT bench Prior.

Kinda Funny though because I like Wood more than Prior.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:14 pm

Greenrider wrote:
DGroundhog wrote:He may not have delivered all I expected, he has still been solid.

you must have been expecting him to walk on water :-b

The only thing I expected was a few more K's. I figured he'd be behind only RJ, Schilling, and Pedro in K's. With them hindered, he should be leading the league. He doesn't even lead his team in K's. I don't mean to knock him, I'm still happy with what he's given so far.

I'm thrilled to get a W and 8 K's from only 5.2 innings against my limit. I was conserving this week, and that is a nice bonus.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tjhksig » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:46 pm

Never bench your studs. Prior allows 0 ER, how nice :-)
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:21 am

"The only thing I expected was a few more K's. I figured he'd be behind only RJ, Schilling, and Pedro in K's. With them hindered, he should be leading the league. He doesn't even lead his team in K's. I don't mean to knock him, I'm still happy with what he's given so far."

Prior is #2 in Ks in the Majors behind Wood. How about complaining about Zito or Oswalt. I would take Prior over any pitcher right now especially in a keeper league. He should be leading the NL in ERA if not for that BS Houston game where the ump didn't call an error and Prior got tacked on 5 ERs. What else do you want from Prior...hit homeruns for you.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers